How long do dry roasted peanuts really last (shelf life)?

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟667,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When I look up the shelf life of foods, the information I find almost always claims that the actual shelf life is longer than the best by/sell by date printed on the package. But peanuts seem to be an exception. The 16oz. jars of dry roasted peanuts I buy in the store show an expiration date that's around a year and 5 months in the future. But the information I've found says anywhere from a month to 4 months.
How Long Do Canned or Bottled Peanuts Last After Opening?.

We're talking about the ones that are dry roasted, not in a shell. The jar label never says anything about refrigerating or freezing, but even the websites still claim they might last up to a year in the freezer.
How long do you store yours for?

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I bought extra peanuts when they were on sale and didn't eat them right away. Some of the peanuts started tasting musty/rancid around the expiration date which was about a year off from manufacturing date, but other jars lasted longer. We used up most of the peanuts, but the squirrels got some too. These were in simple plastic containers with the foamy/aluminum seals. Exposure to oxygen is what causes the rancidity. So the better the seal the longer the shelf-life.

If I were to store them again long-term--like really long-term (5 years) I would buy them in metal canisters with the metal tops that you have to pull in order to break the seal. Or I'd dry can them in my own mason jars.

I dry canned cereal, and two years out it was as fresh as it was out of the box.

The Augason Farms peanut butter in metal cans has a 5 year shelf life (which can probably go beyond that) so, metal cans for peanuts would be the way to store, I would think. (Or glass)

Dry roasting peanuts might affect the oils to go rancid faster. My guess is the 4 months might be for opened cans of peanuts? Otherwise I don't know why they're given such a short life.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟667,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I bought extra peanuts when they were on sale and didn't eat them right away. Some of the peanuts started tasting musty/rancid around the expiration date which was about a year off from manufacturing date, but other jars lasted longer. We used up most of the peanuts, but the squirrels got some too. These were in simple plastic containers with the foamy/aluminum seals. Exposure to oxygen is what causes the rancidity. So the better the seal the longer the shelf-life.

If I were to store them again long-term--like really long-term (5 years) I would buy them in metal canisters with the metal tops that you have to pull in order to break the seal. Or I'd dry can them in my own mason jars.

I dry canned cereal, and two years out it was as fresh as it was out of the box.

The Augason Farms peanut butter in metal cans has a 5 year shelf life (which can probably go beyond that) so, metal cans for peanuts would be the way to store, I would think. (Or glass)

Dry roasting peanuts might affect the oils to go rancid faster. My guess is the 4 months might be for opened cans of peanuts? Otherwise I don't know why they're given such a short life.

Yeah, the ones I buy come in clear plastic containers with a foil safety layer below the screw-on cap. I've never found mine had gone bad by the time I eat them. There will be a rare rancid one now and then, but I usually go through a whole jar without finding any.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone have experience with powdered peanut butter?
We have had unopened peanut butter last for a year. Again with the oil though. Rancid alert. Never had it happen, but there is the potential.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks.

Only ordered one brand of the powdered butter and found it doesnt have much flavor. It can't be used to saute foods. At this point, using it in casserole dishes.

Maybe we expected too much, not using it correctly. etc
We have a couple #10 cans of powdered butter. Have not tested it yet. Hoping it is good.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks.

Only ordered one brand of the powdered butter and found it doesnt have much flavor. It can't be used to saute foods. At this point, using it in casserole dishes.

Maybe we expected too much, not using it correctly. etc
I have it and use it to ump up smoothies. The nice thing is that it doesn't have the oil in it. That has been taken out and sold for peanut oil.

It's the oil that causes rancidity.

I get this kind it's called 'Naked' because it has no additives like salt or sugar or preservatives.

The fat content is 1%. It's full of essential amino acids and can be added to anything. I like to add it to Asian dishes that I don't want extra oil added. It's also great to up the protein and flavor in muffins, especially banana ones.

You can't fry with it because of the lack of oil.

Kept in a cool dry place it could last for years.

Slow roasted peanuts are mechanically pressed to remove oil and fat to create a powder that is 40% protein.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I look up the shelf life of foods, the information I find almost always claims that the actual shelf life is longer than the best by/sell by date printed on the package. But peanuts seem to be an exception. The 16oz. jars of dry roasted peanuts I buy in the store show an expiration date that's around a year and 5 months in the future. But the information I've found says anywhere from a month to 4 months.
How Long Do Canned or Bottled Peanuts Last After Opening?.

We're talking about the ones that are dry roasted, not in a shell. The jar label never says anything about refrigerating or freezing, but even the websites still claim they might last up to a year in the freezer.
How long do you store yours for?

I watched a video recently of a woman who bought a piece of land and was cleaning it up and there was a fallen down building on it. It was really bad but she did discover some things she kept. It must have been there for a long time and the person was either a prepper or just stored up some food but she found dry roasted jars of peanuts and they were still good! I'll see if I can find the video and post it later.

Upvote 0