Florida
✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As a non believer, how do I look to Jesus? I’ve literally just about tried everything. I know I can’t come to Him on my own. My mind doesn’t want to think about him when I try to think about him.

Imitate him in your behavior.

Heb 12:1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Heb 12:2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Upvote 0

seeker1999-

Feb 5, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Imitate him in your behavior.

Heb 12:1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Heb 12:2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Read my post my story in a nutshell.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Read my post my story in a nutshell.

I read your post. You say you're having trouble thinking about Jesus. If you're having trouble thinking about Jesus don't think about him. Just begin imitating him in your behavior. Soon enough it will become a bit tough. When it does, ask the age old question, "what would Jesus do"? Then you'll start thinking about him.

Upvote 0

seeker1999-

Feb 5, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I read your post. You say you're having trouble thinking about Jesus. If you're having trouble thinking about Jesus don't think about him. Just begin imitating him in your behavior. Soon enough it will become a bit tough. When it does, ask the age old question, "what would Jesus do"? Then you'll start thinking about him.
To be honest with you my conscience is seared beyond recovery. If I try to imitate His behavior then I will just be self righteous. God doesn’t want that. I can’t come to Christ on my own as I understand. I am writing all of this to you with a straight face. I don’t even have regrets. Honestly. At least Judas had regret for betraying Jesus and not Godly sorrow. I don’t even have remorse. I’m broken.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
To be honest with you my conscience is seared beyond recovery.

If your conscience was seared beyond recovery you probably wouldn't be here asking these questions. You'd just be somewhere not thinking about Jesus. But you're thinking about Jesus so much you're on here telling us you can't think about Jesus. So there's something there. Try watching an Orthodox Liturgy on youtube. Nothing can soothe your conscience better than that.

Upvote 0

seeker1999-

Feb 5, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If your conscience was seared beyond recovery you probably wouldn't be here asking these questions. You'd just be somewhere not thinking about Jesus. But you're thinking about Jesus so much you're on here telling us you can't think about Jesus. So there's something there. Try watching an Orthodox Liturgy on youtube. Nothing can soothe your conscience better than that.
I disagree. I am honestly using these forums as a vent for reassurance (attention seeking) rather than God Himself. I’m very selfish and don’t know how to be less so. If I try to be less selfish I am just acting. I have supressed emotions for years and years like anger and rage that could be a reason. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. I am honestly using these forums as a vent for reassurance (attention seeking) rather than God Himself. I’m very selfish and don’t know how to be less so. If I try to be less selfish I am just acting. I have supressed emotions for years and years like anger and rage that could be a reason. What are your thoughts?

It seems like you're half way there. Selfishness is a passion. We are called to restrain our passions. When you say that you are just acting as if you're not selfish that is in fact controlling your selfishness. The next time you're in a selfish mood just don't act on it. That's imitating Christ.

I'm not sure how far you take what you describe as controlling anger and rage. Controlling your temper is a good thing but if you have actual pent up rage it's something you should talk with someone about.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,070,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a non believer, how do I look to Jesus? I’ve literally just about tried everything. I know I can’t come to Him on my own. My mind doesn’t want to think about him when I try to think about him.
Jesus loves you and died for you.
What do you mean by "I've literally just about tried everything"?

Upvote 0

Reasonable Christian

Dec 15, 2020
Maryland
✟19,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God doesn’t want you to reprogram your thoughts — only the Holy Spirit can do that. It’s part of the process of sanctification, which means becoming more like Christ after you become a Christian. Also, none of us can approach God the Father on our own because we’re all sinners. The only way we can is by believing that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and rose from the dead. If you believe that and make Him Lord of your life, you will be saved, even though (like all of us) you will continue to sin (Romans 10:9-11). On the other hand, if, as you say, you’re not truly seeking God and only using these forums for attention, that will not save you.

Reactions: seeker1999-
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeker1999-

Feb 5, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
God doesn’t want you to reprogram your thoughts — only the Holy Spirit can do that. It’s part of the process of sanctification, which means becoming more like Christ after you become a Christian. Also, none of us can approach God the Father on our own because we’re all sinners. The only way we can is by believing that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins and rose from the dead. If you believe that and make Him Lord of your life, you will be saved, even though (like all of us) you will continue to sin (Romans 10:9-11). On the other hand, if, as you say, you’re not truly seeking God and only using these forums for attention, that will not save you.
Go look at my story in a nutshell post. I’m in a terrible spiritual predicament and it doesn’t even phase me at all. I May have a mental illness I don’t know. Still no excuse for for what I have done. I only “regret” intellectually what I have done. At least Judas had regret after betraying Jesus. I don’t even have that. I’m worse than the average sinner. People think I’m crazy for saying that I having no conscience. I’ve many opportunities to respond to God growing up but didn’t. I don’t really remember having guilt in my life at all. Again if this is mental illness it’s still no excuse for the things I have done. I’m a hopeless case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reasonable Christian

Dec 15, 2020
Maryland
✟19,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Go look at my story in a nutshell post. I’m in a terrible spiritual predicament and it doesn’t even phase me at all. I May have a mental illness I don’t know. Still no excuse for for what I have done. I only “regret” intellectually what I have done. At least Judas had regret after betraying Jesus. I don’t even have that. I’m worse than the average sinner. People think I’m crazy for saying that I having no conscience. I’ve many opportunities to respond to God growing up but didn’t. I don’t really remember having guilt in my life at all. Again if this is mental illness it’s still no excuse for the things I have done. I’m a hopeless case.
No one is a hopeless case. Have you imprisoned, tortured, and killed people, including Christians? Paul did, and he wrote much of the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,070,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To reprogram my thoughts and reading the word.
I don't think you can reprogramme your thoughts.
I don't think that anyone who does not have, or know, Jesus can reprogramme their thoughts to make them believe in, or accept, him. That's why Jesus talks about being born again, or born from above.
When we come to Christ, accept Christ and are in Christ we are NEW creations - the old has gone.
The NT writers talk about dying to sin, dying to self, putting off the old man, crucifying the flesh - and putting on Christ, walking in the Spirit, living by the Spirit and not the flesh, or sinful nature.

Someone with an old nature cannot, by themselves, change, or reprogramme, that nature. If we could have done that, Jesus would not have needed to die and offer his life as a sacrifice for us.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,070,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about Esau, Saul, and Judas?
What about them?
Yes, there is a verse which says that God "hated" Esau - this just means that God didn't choose him to be father of the 12 tribes, as Jacob was. Hebrews apparently believed that if you weren't chosen by God, that meant that God hated you.
If you mean Saul of the OT - God told Samuel to anoint him as the first king of Israel, and filled him with the Holy Spirit. He disobeyed, lost his kingdom and was maybe suffering form depression; that doesn't mean God hated, or gave up on, him.
Judas is a controversial figure. He was deliberately chosen by Jesus to be one of the 12, and saw many miracles. Yes, he betrayed Jesus but - in my view - he showed remorse by telling the leaders he had betrayed an innocent man, threw the money back at them and then took his own life. Many of us speculate on Judas' fate, but we don't know.

Upvote 0