How can baptism be required for salvation?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's not an opinion so much as a historical reality that has been happening since the Apostles.
Ir makes sense to me that the laying on of hands is the conduit of the Holy Spirit to pass down the tools necessary. So Apostolic Succession is the conduit.

Again, I am not at all surprised. I suppose I should be comforted that you are not espousing off-beat Catholic ideology typically found on the margins.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well this video ought to break you in real good then. :holy:

While it is interesting that they are actually baptizing those babies, the fact remains that it is totally irrelevant, useless, and actually counterproductive to baptize infants.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every Christian was wrong then untill recently? The Gospel according to who?
Absolutely not. Most, if not all, Christians believed that salvation occurs at the moment of baptism, when we are “buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him” (Col 2:12) until the last 50 to 75 years (according to what I have read). The idea that one can be saved without taking any action whatsoever is foreign to Scripture and to the early Church.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Absolutely not. Most, if not all, Christians believed that salvation occurs at the moment of baptism, when we are “buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him” (Col 2:12) until the last 50 to 75 years (according to what I have read). The idea that one can be saved without taking any action whatsoever is foreign to Scripture and to the early Church.

There is actually an exceedingly long history of Christian theology which does not associate conversion with physical water baptism. Interestingly, even the Roman Catholic Church does not assert that an infant (or anyone else, for that matter) is saved by water baptism. Baptism, in their view, results in the forgiveness of sins up to that point in time. After baptism there is a lengthy list of necessary things which must be accomplished if one wishes to hope for salvation.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟409,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As much as my Protestant brothers and sisters deny it, Baptism is a work of God just as the creation of each soul is. Both are birth experiences. The supernatural change that happens is invisible and subject to ambiguity. The rite is a visible sign that guarantees the invisible part has happened. The Holy Spirit responds to the ritual. Jesus' Baptism from John is a model.
Without the visible sign of the invisible act of God we are much less certain that God has acted.

• Winner
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As much as my Protestant brothers and sisters deny it, Baptism is a work of God just as the creation of each soul is. Both are birth experiences. The supernatural change that happens is invisible and subject to ambiguity. The rite is a visible sign that guarantees the invisible part has happened. The Holy Spirit responds to the ritual. Jesus' Baptism from John is a model.
Without the visible sign of the invisible act of God we are much less certain that God has acted.

Now you are sounding like a Lutheran.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, even the Roman Catholic Church does not assert that an infant (or anyone else, for that matter) is saved by water baptism. Baptism, in their view, results in the forgiveness of sins up to that point in time. After baptism there is a lengthy list of necessary things which must be accomplished if one wishes to hope for salvation.
Sorry, but what the catholic church does or does not do is irrelevant to me. I do not believe they are a Christian Church; they are papist, not Christian.

There is actually an exceedingly long history of Christian theology which does not associate conversion with physical water baptism.
The length of time a false belief is held does not change it to a true belief. Scripture, and only Scripture, is the basis for true doctrine today. And Scripture is VERY clear that forgiveness of past sin occurs during baptism (Rom 6:1-4, Col 2:11-14). Sins committed after baptism are continually forgiven as long as the individual “walk in the light as He (Christ) is in the light” (1 John 1:7).

• Agree
Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sorry, but what the catholic church does or does not do is irrelevant to me. I do not believe they are a Christian Church; they are papist, not Christian.

The length of time a false belief is held does not change it to a true belief. Scripture, and only Scripture, is the basis for true doctrine today. And Scripture is VERY clear that forgiveness of past sin occurs during baptism (Rom 6:1-4, Col 2:11-14). Sins committed after baptism are continually forgiven as long as the individual “walk in the light as He (Christ) is in the light” (1 John 1:7).

I understand. When you wrote, "Most, if not all, Christians believed that salvation occurs at the moment of baptism," you actual meant most, if not all, Christians of your particular persuasion and certainly not most, if not all of the folks here at CF who subscribe to the Nicene Creed and are defined here at CF as being Christians. I can just as easily say that most, if not all, Christians, do not believe this or that if, in fact, I exclude anyone in my personal definition of Christian that happens to disagree with this or that.

You also gave a timeline of "until the last 50 to 75 years" which is only true if you define your particular view as being limited to your denomination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟221,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is actually an exceedingly long history of Christian theology which does not associate conversion with physical water baptism. Interestingly, even the Roman Catholic Church does not assert that an infant (or anyone else, for that matter) is saved by water baptism. Baptism, in their view, results in the forgiveness of sins up to that point in time. After baptism there is a lengthy list of necessary things which must be accomplished if one wishes to hope for salvation.
Incorrect. It is Catholic teaching that we are saved through the sacrament of Baptism, as the Bible says, and we continue to be saved.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand. When you wrote, "Most, if not all, Christians believed that salvation occurs at the moment of baptism," you actual meant most, if not all, Christians of your particular persuasion and certainly not most, if not all of the folks here at CF who subscribe to the Nicene Creed and are defined here at CF as being Christians. I can just as easily say that most, if not all, Christians, do not believe this or that if, in fact, I exclude anyone in my personal definition of Christian that happens to disagree with this or that.

You also gave a timeline of "until the last 50 to 75 years" which is only true if you define your particular view as being limited to your denomination.
I am sorry that you, and most of the people on this forum, believe Satan’s lie that salvation occurs with mental assent and baptism follows as an “outward sign of an inward change”. According to the Word of God, nothing could be further from the truth. And that does not come from “my denomination”, that is God’s Word.
Mark 16:16
Rom 6:1-4
Col 2:11-14
Acts 2:38
1 Pet 3:21
Eph 5:26
All of these passages say, or allude to the fact that, we are saved when we are immersed (baptized) in water which is when the Holy Spirit removes our sin and unites us with Christ’s death and resurrection.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Incorrect. It is Catholic teaching that we are saved through the sacrament of Baptism, as the Bible says, and we continue to be saved.

Yes, that is technically true. However, the poster, who has informed me that he does not consider Catholics to be Christians, believes that all one must do to enter heaven is to be baptized. In Catholicism, as you know, baptism is merely the first rite in a lifetime (and beyond in Purgatory) process of salvation.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am sorry that you, and most of the people on this forum, believe Satan’s lie that salvation occurs with mental assent and baptism follows as an “outward sign of an inward change”. According to the Word of God, nothing could be further from the truth. And that does not come from “my denomination”, that is God’s Word.
All of these passages say, or allude to the fact that, we are saved when we are immersed (baptized) in water which is when the Holy Spirit removes our sin and unites us with Christ’s death and resurrection.

Actually, most people on this forum are Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Lutherans - none of whom believe that salvation occurs with mental assent and baptism follows. Those who do believe that are a distinct minority here at CF.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟221,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is technically true. However, the poster, who has informed me that he does not consider Catholics to be Christians, believes that all one must do to enter heaven is to be baptized. In Catholicism, as you know, baptism is merely the first rite in a lifetime (and beyond in Purgatory) process of salvation.
We do believe we receive graces through further sacraments. If we gravely sin after Baptism (mortal sin) then we can lose our salvation but God continues to save us through his forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟221,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟221,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, most people on this forum are Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Lutherans - none of whom believe that salvation occurs with mental assent and baptism follows. Those who do believe that are a distinct minority here at CF.
1 Pet 3:20-21
God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water. This prefigured baptism, which saves you now.

• Agree
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We do believe we receive graces through further sacraments. If we gravely sin after Baptism (mortal sin) then we can lose our salvation but God continues to save us through his forgiveness.

Yes, that is absolutely true. The other poster does not believe that.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a “mortal sin”? And if there is a “mortal sin” then there may yet be a not-mortal sin: what is one of those?

The reason I ask is that, according to Scripture, if you break even the smallest part of God’s law that makes you a law breaker, and makes you guilty of breaking the whole law (James 2:10).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟25,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is absolutely true. The other poster does not believe that.
I do believe we can lose our salvation (through turning again to unrepentant sin), but we don’t lose it just because we sin once regardless of how “big” that sin may be.

And a sacrament is something that, in and of itself, conveys grace to the doer. There is no such thing. Baptism conveys salvation only if the person being baptized believes in Christ and has Confessed His name as Lord, and has repented of his sins.
Taking the Lord’s Supper (Communion) does not convey anything. It is a remembrance of Christ’s death, but no where in Scripture does it say it conveys salvation (although it does convey condemnation if taken in an unworthy manner).

• Agree
Upvote 0