Australia
✟106,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Very sad end for a beautiful creature.
Sperm whale found dead with litter ball inside stomach

A sperm whale has been found dead with a "litter ball" inside its stomach.

The creature was discovered on Seilebost Beach in the Outer Hebrides and a whole range of plastic, netting, rope, cups and bags were found inside the mammal.

The Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Service (SMASS) is investigating why the whale ended up with so much pollution inside it, and they claim the whale "wasn't in particularly poor condition".

In a post on Facebook page, the group said: "Whilst it is certainly plausible that this amount of debris was a factor in its live stranding, we actually couldn't find evidence that this had impacted or obstructed the intestines.

"This amount of plastic in the stomach is nonetheless horrific, must have compromised digestion, and serves to demonstrate, yet again, the hazards that marine litter and lost or discarded fishing gear can cause to marine life.

"It is also perhaps a good example that this is a global issue caused by a whole host of human activities."

1575330964398_GL62HFPPU.2-0.png

The sperm whale was found with a range of plastic, netting, rope, cups and bags in its stomach.

Attachments

• 1575330964398_GL62HFPPU.2-0.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Michie

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,002,095.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

The creature was discovered on Seilebost Beach in the Outer Hebrides and a whole range of plastic, netting, rope, cups and bags were found inside the mammal.

The Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Service (SMASS) is investigating why the whale ended up with so much pollution inside it, and they claim the whale "wasn't in particularly poor condition".

In a post on Facebook page, the group said: "Whilst it is certainly plausible that this amount of debris was a factor in its live stranding, we actually couldn't find evidence that this had impacted or obstructed the intestines.

"This amount of plastic in the stomach is nonetheless horrific, must have compromised digestion, and serves to demonstrate, yet again, the hazards that marine litter and lost or discarded fishing gear can cause to marine life.

"It is also perhaps a good example that this is a global issue caused by a whole host of human activities."

The sperm whale was found with a range of plastic, netting, rope, cups and bags in its stomach.

Any sign of Jonah? :(
OB

• Haha
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟106,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That ocean cleanup device looks promising, but unfortunately they will never be able to clean all the world's ocean as it's too vast. Man needs to be responsible for his own rubbish and depose of it properly.

Some of us will dispose of our waste properly; some won't.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟342,752.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Some of us will dispose of our waste properly; some won't.

I agree, we have laws against this sort of thing, but it will never stop. We have some pretty severe littering laws, but people still do it. Humanity just has a lot of folks that don't care.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,008,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Aaaaand this is precisely why we do not litter, children. On land, on the sea, anywhere. We have no idea whether or not our gross, deliberate carelessness will end up being the cause of death in the surrounding fauna. The negative impacts of littering go far beyond just making the environment less aesthetically pleasing.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything to do with what is happening goes back to Eden and mans sin.
Take care of creation? Yes we've certainly done a job on that :(
Only God can help us now, I still am careful in what I do but I believe the damage is irreversible.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulus59
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟106,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟106,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Everything to do with what is happening goes back to Eden and mans sin.
Take care of creation? Yes we've certainly done a job on that :(
Only God can help us now, I still am careful in what I do but I believe the damage is irreversible.
So true Heavenhome. Man has a selfish heart that does not love God or his neighbour.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0