Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Divorce can cause major changes in holiday emotions, activities and traditions. It has impacted the lives of my family greatly. Today, on New Year's Eve, my sons and I will just now be having Christmas together.

This is my 8th Christmas being divorced, 9th since the last separation. When we lived close together it wasn't as bad. We would share our sons, and each of us and our families would have time with the boys on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day.

Since then I've moved farther away from my ex to get away from my harmful family. We now live about 7-8 hours drive apart from one another. The boys go to visit their dad for Christmas when school lets out for winter break, and then just before they return to school, I get them back for a day or two.

It means that I spend Christmas alone, and my boys spend it with the dad and step-mom and her family. They are not Christians, and only celebrate a very secular version of the holiday. Not only are they not practicing Christians, but they are also very much against Christianity. So my boys experience a Christmas break filled with anti-Christian sentiment. It was not this way when I was married to their father. At that time he was a practicing Christian.

By the time I get the boys back, they have already had a celebration with their dad and his family, and gotten gifts. The joy and excitement of the holiday has passed. They are tired, and the stress of not being in one household with both parents is difficult for them.

So, I'm faced with cramming a small, limited Christmas celebration in with tired, grumpy, boys, who aren't interested in hearing or talking about the birth of Jesus, all on my own with no one to share it with. Limited financial resources also make it hard. This particular year, we are all sick with a cold and heavy coughing as well.

Over all, I am much happier in my life than I was while I was married and when my sons and I were still experiencing the negative effects of my dysfunctional family. And I am happy to be able to share what holiday I can with my boys.

However, Christmas used to be so much more fun and special before. This is an inevitable part of divorce and running from dysfunction that many people face. It is not just a phase or heartache to get over. It is a reoccurring event every single year that has to be navigated each time. The struggle is real.

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟31,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Here in Salt Lake City Utah the Mormons don't much celebrate the holidays either. I think they're brought up from childhood and conditioned to regard Christmas and the New years as "pagan" holidays. BTW. I'm not a Mormon, I just live here.

On the nine blocks of my street, there are only two homes decorated with Christmas lights, and Mexican families live in both of them. That's pretty much characteristic of most neighborhoods I've seen in SLC since I moved here two years ago.

Mormons also made it illegal to shoot fireworks off in Utah during New Years Eve around two years ago.

I heard on the local news over 4.5 million dollars of hard liquor was sold in Salt Lakes in the one state run Liquor Store in town between X-Mas and New Years, but I've never heard of any parties being thrown anywhere, and I've never seen anyone drinking any alcohol in public (except for beer).

I guess Mormons just sit in their apartments alone and get drunk in private for the holidays. Seems like some very "Alcoholic" behavior to me, (for a group of people who disapprove so much of liquor), don't you think ?.. Lol.

I'll tell you something else. for a city of only a million and a half people.. SLC is one of the most violent places I ever lived. At least two or three people a day are murdered here. Just four days ago a guy was found dead in his car in the parking lot of our apartments with his throat cut.

Who cuts someone's throat during the Christmas holidays ? Yesterday a guy shot his wife and turned the gun on himself on the University Campus here in town. There have been two middle school shootings this year in December. Frankly I think these Mormons are completely NUTS !

Last edited:
Upvote 0