Historically Accurate Book on the Origins of the Biblical Canon

Oct 10, 2011
✟7,728.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello,

I am currently seeking out the Christian faith. I am studying various topics extensively, and am currently working to understand the origins of the Bible.

I have read some information on the topic, but a thread in another forum got me interested in the topic.

What is a good book for learning about how the Bible was formed? I know who wrote the books of the Bible, and such. However, how was in canonized, is what I'm mostly looking for. Through councils, Church Fathers, and so on..?

What is a good book that is not so much biased, but historically accurate. I come here because if there is a bias, I would prefer a Catholic bias, but I would more like a unbiased book. "Just tell me the facts."

Thank you.

Grace and peace to you all.

pathfinder777

Dec 29, 2010
Orange County CA
✟8,057.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I am currently seeking out the Christian faith. I am studying various topics extensively, and am currently working to understand the origins of the Bible.

I have read some information on the topic, but a thread in another forum got me interested in the topic.

What is a good book for learning about how the Bible was formed? I know who wrote the books of the Bible, and such. However, how was in canonized, is what I'm mostly looking for. Through councils, Church Fathers, and so on..?

What is a good book that is not so much biased, but historically accurate. I come here because if there is a bias, I would prefer a Catholic bias, but I would more like a unbiased book. "Just tell me the facts."

Thank you.

Grace and peace to you all.

This is one of my favorite subjects. This list is from William Harmless S.J. Bibliography website which is an excellent resource on a multitude of subjects relating to Christianity. His website can be accessed at

Paul M. Blowers, The Bible in Greek Christian Antiquity (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1997).
Harry Y. Gamble, Books and Readers in the Early Church: A History of Early Christian Texts (New Haven: Yale, 1995). A superb and original study of how early books were made, collected, and used.
Christine Helmer and Christof Landmesser, eds., One Scripture or Many?: Canon from Biblical, Theological, and Philosophical Perspectives (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004).
C.E. Hill, Who Chose the Gospels? Probing the Great Gospel Conspiracy (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010) hardcover, $28. NEW.
Larry W. Hurtado, The Earliest Christian Artifacts: Manuscripts and Christian Origins (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2006).
James L. Kugel & Rowan A. Greer, Early Biblical Interpretation, Library of Early Christianity 3 (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1986).
Joseph T. Lienhard, The Bible, the Church, and Authority: the Canon of the Christian Bible in History and Theology (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1995).
Lee Martin McDonald, The Biblical Canon: Its Origin, Transmission, and Authority (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic [formerly available from Hendrickson], 2007).
Bruce Metzger, The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance (New York: Clarendon / Oxford University Press, 1987).
Bruce Metzger, The Early Versions of the New Testament: Their Origins, Transmission, and Limitations (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1977

Upvote 0