High-profile Republicans choose not to run for reelection amid House GOP dysfunction

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMG_7723.jpeg

Seems to me the party with more leaving has not been mentioned. I wonder why?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

George Santos Nixes Short-Lived Independent Run for Congress

“Although [incumbent GOP officeholder] Nick and I don’t have the same voting record and I remain critical of his abysmal record, I don’t want to split the ticket and be responsible for handing the house to Dems,” Santos continued.

According to his most recent Federal Election Commission filing from April 15, he kept spending money even as he failed to raise a penny.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Another veteran House Republican is retiring from Congress

Longtime Republican Rep. Bill Posey (Fla.) said Friday he will leave Congress at the end of this year rather than seek reelection.

What he's saying: Posey said in a statement on Wednesday that "circumstances beyond my control now require me to suspend my re-election campaign."

Zoom out: Posey joins nearly two dozen House Republicans planning to retire from the House this year – only a handful of whom are running for higher office.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Another veteran House Republican is retiring from Congress

Longtime Republican Rep. Bill Posey (Fla.) said Friday he will leave Congress at the end of this year rather than seek reelection.

What he's saying: Posey said in a statement on Wednesday that "circumstances beyond my control now require me to suspend my re-election campaign."

Zoom out: Posey joins nearly two dozen House Republicans planning to retire from the House this year – only a handful of whom are running for higher office.
Seems to be a safe R district.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Seems to be a safe R district.
And a safe handoff from an electorate of one.

The retirement-announcement two-step strikes again

Posey qualified for reelection two months ago and even received an endorsement from Donald Trump last month. But shortly after Florida’s qualifying period closed Friday at noon, Posey suddenly announced his retirement — citing “circumstances beyond my control.”

That cleared the way for former state Senate president Mike Haridopolos (R), who had quietly filed for the primary that morning. Posey in his announcement quickly endorsed Haridopolos, who was left without big-name opposition [in the GOP primary].

There have been rumors that there may be another such move in the works this cycle in Indiana. A popular Indiana political newsletter reported in September that lawmakers were on the lookout for a late retirement from Rep. Jim Baird (R-Ind.) to clear the way for his son, a state lawmaker. [Another candidate notes that Baird's election merch emphasizes only his last name.]

Upvote 0