Here are the nine (8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-ZERO) Republicans who have officially announced their candidacy for House speaker

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Out of the nine Republicans running, only two voted to certify the results of the 2020 election (Emmer and Scott), and only two have been in Congress for over a decade (Sessions and Scott).
Notably, all nine are members of the conservative Republican Study Committee — one of five of the GOP’s ideological caucuses and, historically, the largest.

Rep. Tom Emmer (R-Minn.), the House majority whip, ... is the highest-ranking Republican among the list of official candidates
Emmer, 62, has already received the support of former speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).
But right-wing outlets and allies of former president Donald Trump are urging Republicans not to elect Emmer, who voted to certify the results of the 2020 election for Joe Biden.

Rep. Kevin Hern (R-Okla.), who chairs the conservative Republican Study Committee,...
Hern, 61, a businessman who owned a number of McDonald’s franchises in Oklahoma, ... voted to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Tex.), who previously chaired the House Rules Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee, ...
Sessions, 68, who has served 11 terms in the House, [voted against certifying the 2020 election]

Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) emerged as a surprise speaker candidate last week when he ran against Jordan ...
Scott, 53, a businessman, has served in the House since 2011. He did not object to the certification of the results of the 2020 presidential election and was part of a group of Republicans who, in a letter to congressional leaders, said lawmakers did not have the power to overturn the results of the election.

Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) is a relative newcomer to Congress but, in just two terms, he has become a relevant figure in the ultraconservative House Freedom Caucus.
A staunch Trump ally, Donalds voted against the certification of the 2020 election and has repeatedly falsely claimed that Biden is not the legitimate president.

Rep. Jack Bergman (R-Mich.), a retired U.S. Marine Corps lieutenant general, ... chairs the House Armed Services subcommittee on intelligence and special operations ... He objected to the certification of the results of the 2020 election.

Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) ... an attorney and former radio host, ... is a close Trump ally, having served in the former president’s legal defense team during his two impeachment trials in the Senate. Johnson has also contested the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Rep. Dan Meuser (R-Pa.), ... was one of over 120 House Republicans who in December 2020 signed an amicus brief in support of a lawsuit that would have invalidated the results of the 2020 election in four states, including his home state.

Rep. Gary Palmer (R-Ala.)... voted against certifying the results of the 2020 election and was also one of over 120 House Republicans who in December 2020 signed an amicus brief in support of a lawsuit that would have invalidated the results of the 2020 election in four states.

Last edited:

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I hope a requisite number of Democrats will vote for Emmer or Scott to take away the power of the Chaos Caucus who led McCarthy around by the nose.
Alas, the Republican Conference will kick these around internally, so those two may never make it to the full House vote. (Although things having gone as they have, certainly more than one of these may get a chance at the big time)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I just don't see any of the nine getting enough Republican votes to become Speaker. There just don't seem to be any choices that can appeal to both the moderates and the Freedom Caucus.
And that is the reason why a small number of Democrats have to work with Republicans for a bipartisan solution which would take the power away from the Chaos Caucus, a small number of Republicans more interested in disruption and dismantling Democracy than in real governing.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟47,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And that is the reason why a small number of Democrats have to work with Republicans for a bipartisan solution which would take the power away from the Chaos Caucus, a small number of Republicans more interested in disruption and dismantling Democracy than in real governing.
When Republicans are willing sit down with Democrats, and make an offer that benefits them too, then sure, I could see votes from Dems.

If Republicans want Democrats to bail them out of their party's internal chaos, Republicans have to be willing to give Democrats something at least. Especially since they've burned Democrats previous during this Congress.

It remains to be seen if Republicans are willing to finally be bipartisan.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Republicans are willing sit down with Democrats, and make an offer that benefits them too, then sure, I could see votes from Dems.

If Republicans want Democrats to bail them out of their party's internal chaos, Republicans have to be willing to give Democrats something at least. Especially since they've burned Democrats previous during this Congress.

Agreed. However, I have zero confidence in the Republican conference to find a solution. There is no leadership.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟96,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope a requisite number of Democrats will vote for Emmer or Scott to take away the power of the Chaos Caucus who led McCarthy around by the nose.
They bailed on McCarthy, what makes anyone think (D)'s will support any Republican?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,372.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
They bailed on McCarthy, what makes anyone think (D)'s will support any Republican?
They didn't bail on McCarthy. He didn't come to them in the first place about the motion to vacate. And of course there was the fact that they helped him pass the CR and then got thrown under the bus, so even if he had tried to strike a deal with them there was no reason for them to trust him to keep it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟156,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems interesting that seven of the nine republican candidates for Speaker voted to toss the certified votes from Arizona and Pennsylvania. Because of personal reasons that apparently supercede our democracy on the priority scale...

Wing2000 is totally correct. The party is bereft of quality leadership!

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟378,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One can dream. But that'd be more of a miracle than rising from the dead. Today's Republican Party sorely needs a purge. It's incomprehensible how a pack of 20 or so Trump fanatics have turned the once Grand Old Party into a Grotesquely Offensive Pestilence.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟334,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One can dream. But that'd be more of a miracle than rising from the dead. Today's Republican Party sorely needs a purge. It's incomprehensible how a pack of 20 or so Trump fanatics have turned the once Grand Old Party into a Grotesquely Offensive Pestilence.

This seems to be something that started with the Tea Party and has only been magnified since Trump; an idea that only "losers" negotiate -- that it needs to be their way or they burn the country down (not literally, but by not passing needed legislation). If you notice, many in the Republican Party, particularly the Freedom Caucus, seem ready to destroy any representative that works with the Democrats -- much as they did with Kinzinger and Cheney.

Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟47,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
McCarthy didn't make any motion to gain their support, and understood that that meant he'd get no votes. He actively refused to work with Dems as Speaker, and acknowledged that they would have no reason to help him.

McCarthy says he won’t give Democrats anything in exchange for support as Speaker

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Tuesday that he would not give Democrats anything in exchange for their votes to help save his Speakership, after Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) moved to force a vote on ousting him.

“They haven’t asked for anything. I’m not going to provide anything,” McCarthy said in an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”

“Hakeem runs his conference,” McCarthy said of House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.). “He’s going to have a conference, and everybody’s going to talk about it, and I’m not going to put Hakeem in any position, and I respect whatever decision anybody makes.”

“Hakeem Jeffries and I have a good relationship,” McCarthy said. “That doesn’t mean they’re going to vote for me. I understand where the Democrats are. I’m not asking for any special deal or anything else.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Laura Loomer plays 6 degrees of separation with Soros and Tom Emmer.

Checkmate, Trump-hating "Democrat in disguise"!

1698096857368.png

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟166,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think the Electoral Collage may have outlived its usefulness. I understand that the Constitution set it up as a way of ensuring that the states with a tiny population had a voice in the selection.

This may well have been a good idea at the time. Now it seems irrelevant and unfair when clear popular majorities are negated by the arcane rules in some states.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟378,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think the Electoral Collage may have outlived its usefulness. I understand that the Constitution set it up as a way of ensuring that the states with a tiny population had a voice in the selection.

This may well have been a good idea at the time. Now it seems irrelevant and unfair when clear popular majorities are negated by the arcane rules in some states.
Absolutely correct. The EC is an obsolete relic of 18th century thinking. It's bad enough that geography carries more weight than individual voters. But even worse, in most states, the candidate who receives fewer votes, gets none of that state's electoral votes. All those voters are essentially disenfranchised.The EC is ancient political idiocy on steroids. It won't happen in our lifetimes, but eventually the Constitution will be amended and the Electoral College will go the way of slavery and Prohibition. But this getting off-topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)