Not open for further replies.

Julianna

Jun 11, 2007
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His sacrifice is most certainly not in vain regardless of your position on an eternal hell. We were all dead in our sin and through Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross we have the hope for eternal life. That is what His sacrifice secured for those who put their faith in Him; Eternal Life. You may believe in eternal hell and someone else may not but neither position affects this glorious gift of Life.
TheLogos, I didn't think you came across as hateful, just too judgmental in questioning the validity of my Christian faith, just because I am asking some questions. In regards to your opinion that "eternality of hell is something that needs to be taught correctly" perhaps you could start by providing Scripture that supports your belief, or respond to the Scripture others have quoted that speaks to Life being the only thing that will be eternal and not punishment.
Thank you to everyone for responding.

Reactions: brimac
Upvote 0

irateional

Aug 3, 2007
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think any person goes to hell. I think the demons and the devil go to hell. But how can God claim to have won over evil, when he ends up sending the majority of those whom he "loves" to a place of eternal suffering.

Either God doesn't use logic, or we're not understanding him properly.

Upvote 0
B

Ben12

I really have trouble believing that someone claiming to be a christian does not think that hell is eternal. It most certainly is! God is eternal and we have sinned against Him,we have sinned against an eternal Being. Therefore logic dictates that the punishment should also be eternal. Not only that but if hell is not forever then why did Jesus have to die for our sins? If hell is only finite and unrepentant sinners will be destroyed completely or as others have suggested,after spending a set amount of time in hell,they are allowed to enter heaven,then wants the point. In one instance it puts less importance on Jesus dying on the cross and in the latter theory Christ's sacrifice becomes unwarranted and meaningless.

If that was true and it is not then why do we have scriptures like the following; and don't tell me they are out of context and less you can show me the context. YOU cannot have it both ways; something is truly wrong with the hell doctrine.

Jer.31
“The time is coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant
With the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. 32 It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them," declares the LORD .
33 "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people. 34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD ,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares the LORD . "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

Luke 3: 6 (Amp)
And all mankind shall see (behold and [a]understand and at last acknowledge) the salvation of God (the deliverance from eternal death decreed by God).

"I WILL pour My Spirit upon thy seed." (Isaiah 44:3).
"I WILL pour out My Spirit upon all flesh." (Joel 2:28).
"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and TO ALL THAT ARE AFAR OFF, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:39).

Romans 5:18-20 (Weymouth’s)

It follows then just as the result of a single transgression is a condemnation which to the whole race, so also is the result of a single degree of righteousness is a life giving acquittal which extends to the whole race. (19) for as thought the disobedience of one individual the mass of mankind were constituted as sinners, so also though the obedience of one, the mass of mankind will be constituted righteous. Now law was brought in later on so that the transgression might increase, but sin increased, grace is overflowed.

1 Corinthians 15:22-24

22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Upvote 0

greatnut

Aug 10, 2007
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all
Examine the fate of the "covering Cherub" i.e. Satan, as described in Ezek 28
I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. 17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. 18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. 19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.

Look especially at that last part "never shalt thou be any more". This perfectly describes that the wages of sin are death, for fallen angels, and for man. Death means, "never being any more", being "ashes", or having fire "devour thee", being "destroyed" and scattered over "the ground". I ask myself, how could God more clearly explain a state of not being any more?

Upvote 0

HBCountry

Jul 29, 2007
KY
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

If your a soul and body are destroyed - you are dead.

No eternal punishment/torture, but quick and painless death.

How could you serve a God that hurt and tortured souls forever? I could not.

Upvote 0

irateional

Aug 3, 2007
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

If your a soul and body are destroyed - you are dead.

No eternal punishment/torture, but quick and painless death.

How could you serve a God that hurt and tortured souls forever? I could not.

How can we serve a God that despite being all powerful and knowing refuses to save souls?

In the end, he's the one that chooses to save us. So what is so hard about saying everyone is saved? Seriously, think about this before you reply. He's all powerful. He can save everyone from eternal hell and torment. What should choice matter, when our choices don't save us anyways? Only God's decision to save us saves us.

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How can we serve a God that despite being all powerful and knowing refuses to save souls?

In the end, he's the one that chooses to save us. So what is so hard about saying everyone is saved? Seriously, think about this before you reply. He's all powerful. He can save everyone from eternal hell and torment. What should choice matter, when our choices don't save us anyways? Only God's decision to save us saves us.

Because God said it, and that settles it. To have any image of God in your mind, or to have any understanding of what God's nature will or will not lead him to do which is in conflict with divine revelation, is to have another god in your mind.

The scripture says that not all will be saved, and that is the end of it. When the Bible speaks, the matter is settled.

Upvote 0

HBCountry

Jul 29, 2007
KY
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God does not refuse to save souls. Souls refuse to be saved.

Except for a few (Satan and his angels) ALL souls now have the opportunity for eternal life. That is where freewill comes in.

In the beginning, even Satan and his angels had an opportunity for salvation. But we all know how that turned out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

irateional

Aug 3, 2007
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
God does not refuse to save souls. Souls refuse to be saved.

Except for a few (Satan and his angels) ALL souls now have the opportunity for eternal life. That is where freewill comes in.

In the beginning, even Satan and his angels had an opportunity for salvation. But we all know how that turned out.
Yes.

But what you are saying is that God gives us the choice. What I'm saying is that while that stands, God isn't obligated to save you and I. Let me rephrase this. Simply enough, our choices don't save us. Only God does.

Antyhing else is heretical because it implies that man can make God do something. All my faith, all my prayers, all my actions don't obligate, force or make God have to save me. He chooses to. Hence, he save us, by his grace.

Why then, if he saves us by his grace, will he not save the others who haven't asked for it? It's not as if it changes some critical order, since our actions do not indebt God to save us.

What's so hard to gather here? Why won't any of you explain to me how I'm wrong with anything other than "Lake of fire in Revelations=Hell for unbelievers!". I'm saying, why doesn't this make logical sense? Why would God act as he does?

Upvote 0

DesertScroll

Jul 19, 2007
✟7,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would God act as he does?

No one will be able to give you a complete answer for that question. And the question about who is saved and why is a massive topic involving not just statements about believing in Jesus to be saved and those rejecting him not being saved (John 3:16-21) but also issues in roles of freewill, predestination, and verses stating very clearly God does the choosing. A passage like Matt 22:1-14 seems to smash against the rocks a full freewill or a full everything is determined explanation and is summed up quite nicely in the last verse:

For many are called, but few are chosen. Matt 22:14

I think about this at least once a day and if I am honest every view I can come up with doesn't quite fit with what is written. So with that in mind here are some verses:

Who has directed the spirit of the Lord, or as his counselor has instructed him? Whom did he consult for his enlightenment, and who taught him the path of justice? Who taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?
Isa 40:13,14

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!
Matt 23:37

And of course Romans chapter 9, but I won't type it all out since I am not copying and pasting. Read the whole chapter about the potter and his clay. But the main thing is to be honest about what is said; interpret scripture with scripture and ignore nothing.

I posted early on in this thread but nothing in depth. As you could see I do believe in an eternal judgement for those that do not believe Jesus is the Christ. I also think this judgement is not an instant death or annihilation for those sent to this place of judgement as in Rev 14:11 no rest day or night and see the destruction of unbelievers as in Philip 1:28 3:19 as the destruction in 2 Thess 1:9 which says "These will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, seperated from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might".

Oops, I rambled more than I wanted (I just got off of work 9pm - 5:30am :( so a little forgiveness for me).

Study what the scripture says on the subject but try to let notions slide away such as "Would a truly just and loving God do this?" or "Could a loving God torture people who he loves forever?". Because who has known the mind of God and His ways. Who has taught God the way of justice? His ways are the just ways; His ways are what is right.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.