Hate, desire, pride, lust, jealousy etc etc.

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
These types of unhelpful mindstates cause suffering and can lead to other problems... damaged relationships, violence, broken promises etc.
What is your way of managing these mindstates/feelings/ beliefs/attitudes... when they arise?

Do you notice yourself when you are like that? What do you do then?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The scriptures give us some tools to resist these temptations.

1 John 2:16 KJV
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes,
and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

This is the scripture I use daily to overcome these elements of the world.

1 Corinthians 10:13 KJV
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

God is providing a way of escape from every temptation. I have learned to first quote this truth. "God is making a way of escape for me." I look for the way He is providing.

Psalms 119:11 KJV
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Believe this when you pray it:
Luke 11:4 KJV
4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟945,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These types of unhelpful mindstates cause suffering and can lead to other problems... damaged relationships, violence, broken promises etc.
What is your way of managing these mindstates/feelings/ beliefs/attitudes... when they arise?

All human emotions.No one can really avoid them we just keep them controlled.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟92,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I don't know if it's my place to answer such questions, but seeing as you're a Buddhist, perhaps it'll be alright. I simply remember that no matter what I do, I am now, and will always remain... forgiven. And I realize that in my entire life, these may be the only times when I... a puny, weak human, have something of value to give back.

And if you contemplate this beforehand, then you'll recognize those times as not just points of momentary struggles, but as opportunities to give something back. To show that I am better today, then I was yesterday. If not for overcoming the struggle, then at least for having faced it with a deeper conviction to try. And sometimes what may seem like a failure to you, may be perceived as an invaluable victory to someone else. Your goal, is simply to try.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟967,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Not all desire is sinful, and nor are all feelings either, unlike some other religions will tell you or try to teach you, etc.

But of the ones that are sinful, I try to keep them in check myself first, or else listen to God when He is trying to do it for me if I can't second, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0