Visit site
✟15,488.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you do not mind sharing, I went to Wal-Mart last night and the total for groceries and health and household stuff came to 140 dollars for I hope a week. There is always somethings I will have to get more of during the week.
There are seven of us 2 adults and 5 kids 10-8-5-4-2.
How much does groceries cost your family and how long it will last?

Thanks 4 Sharing.

April

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
we spend way too much on groceries, but we live near chicago..so it is expensive here...plus my 6'5" hubby and my 18 yr old eat enough for 3 men each im sure..lol.

Anyhoo..i spend about $800 per month on groceries for 5 of us. (2 adults, one teenager, a 3 yr old and a baby)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I spend about $350-$400 a month on food for 7 of us. My kids are approaching 10, 6, 4, 2, and a baby.

That includes toiletries, paper products (of which we only use toilet paper-everything else is cloth), and cleaning supplies.

I try really hard only to go grocwery shopping every other week---because it is the best way for me to save money---just not to go into the store!!

Upvote 0

beverhome

Jul 11, 2007
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,488.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I spend about $350-$400 a month on food for 7 of us. My kids are approaching 10, 6, 4, 2, and a baby.

That includes toiletries, paper products (of which we only use toilet paper-everything else is cloth), and cleaning supplies.

I try really hard only to go grocwery shopping every other week---because it is the best way for me to save money---just not to go into the store!!
Wow that is very good.. any secret tips on keeping cost down?
Thanks
April

Upvote 0

tashiseisei

earthbound misfit
Mar 23, 2007
New York, NY
✟7,893.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi April, I'm afraid I'm not a QF, but we are living on one income because I am disabled, so we often have to make do with very little money for food.

If you have things like Costco or Sam's Club in your area, you can buy staples in bulk and save money. You can also get toilet paper there and things like that.

We buy canned or frozen vegetables, beans, and rice and base a lot of meals around this, having soups and stews and stirfries for dinner. We do not buy any convenience foods (prepackaged, premade stuff), except as a treat occasionally. I drink water or juice from frozen concentrate.

You can do a lot of things with oatmeal and cream of wheat for breakfasts. Get a mix and make your own waffles with an iron or pancakes instead of buying them premade. Put granola with yogurt to make it more filling.

For my wife's lunch, I do some fruit and vegetables, rice, stirfried or curried chicken, and soup. She has a four part container (you can do this for your DH - look up Mr. Bento on Amazon; the food stays nice and hot all day) and I just fill it up. It seems very gourmet, but it costs much less than her buying a sandwich from the deli every day.

If you have a spare freezer, I have known people who bought half of a cow from a farmer and paid to have it processed by a butcher. If you go in with another family, it is even less expensive for you. The cost seemed like a lot at once, as a lump sum, but broke down to be quite cheap if you looked at how much you would have paid at the store for so much meat.

This page talks about it a little more, but you should be able to ask any butcher in your city about how to do it where you are:

http://www.oklahomafood.coop/buyingmeat.php

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i am really CUTTING down..ive felt real led to do so recently! we are cutting down on groceries as well..

we will start by buying dry beans and brown rice in bulk, as well as rolled oatmeal, potatoes, carrots and doing lots of soups and stews.

I am cutting down to red meat 2x a week, chicken 2x a week, fish 1x a week for our "meat" and just doing eggs or beans the other 2 nights. (eggs are a good for you cheap protein!!)

ill let you know how much our grocery shopping budget changes..

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm extremely concerned about all the antibiotics and steroids/hormones in commercial meats these days, so I've switched to grass-fed beef and free-range poultry. We eat less meat now, and it's more expensive, but it's Much healthier. I also am convicted about other dairy products, so buy organic also. I'm in a big city, so it's more expensive to go to the health food store than if I had a neighbor willing to sell me milk straight from a cow and eggs straight from a chicken... ;) I do get bread & a couple of other things from Sam's (which is an every 2 wk or so trip. We freeze the bread in our extra freezer in the garage.)

My groceries/paper stuff/bathroom stuff runs about $300- 350 a week, for 10 of us (2 adults & 8 kids, ages 24 down to 5). I know, YIKES. But the things I buy at the health food store are the things the L-rd has convicted me on so I know He'll take care of it.

I buy cleaning supplies from Melaleuca (through a friend) which last quite awhile, and are non-toxic which is important to me 'cause my kids do a lot of the cleaning. ;)

I also buy a bunch of herbs & vitamins every month, which I didn't include in the grocery total. I look at those as preventative medicine, which works because we never have to go to the doctor. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

beverhome

Jul 11, 2007
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟15,488.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also buy about half our meat hormone-free and antibiotic-free. Trader Joe's has natural beef for $1.99/lb, and natural chicken tenderloins (very good quality) for about $2.50/lb.
Those are good prices..I wish they had one around here.

April

Upvote 0

CaseyK

Steward of God, Wife, and Mother
Mar 13, 2007
Texas
Visit site
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am loving this thread!!! DH and I have just decided to become quiverfull and right now with just the 4 of us plus a baby our groceries are just outrageous. Our problem is we get stuff we don't really need and go multiple times a week. This upcoming week I am going to plan each meal for everyday of the week for two weeks and then just shop for ingredients for those meals and make a list. It has to be on our list in order for us to buy it. Hopefully this will cut down on our bill and our trips

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also buy about half our meat hormone-free and antibiotic-free. Trader Joe's has natural beef for $1.99/lb, and natural chicken tenderloins (very good quality) for about $2.50/lb.
wow really? there is a trader joe's about a 30 min drive from here..i should check it out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

annaapple

Nov 19, 2005
✟15,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have access to a local farmers' market that can be well worth a trip too. Some run subscritpion systems where you pay a little upfront, and they supply a box of whatever is fresh that week, on a weekly basis. Kind of like paying someone to grow your food for you. the better ones provide recipes for when the veggies are more unusual!

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Am i doing something wrong? is it because i live on long island ny? but yesterday i went food shopping for 7 of us, ok also 3 cats and a puppy and half way thro the store i knew i did not bring enough money, so as i got done building my pyrimaid and got up to the register, i was up to 250.00 and had to ask her to put stuff back.....gosh i must be doing something not right. when i was done my reciept looked like a scroll:doh:

Upvote 0