Scotland
✟248,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone recommend a good church/type of church for me?

I'm stumped.

Want to be part of one but can't find one that fits the bill.

Used to be AOG, recently went to a big baptist church, too big too umpersonal.

Any ideas?

Scottish Knight

Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Scotland
✟10,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Whereabouts in Scotland do you live?

I go to Charlotte baptist chapel, Rose street - Edinburgh city centre. It is quite big but it's a really good church and there are lots of smaller groups to get to know people. The preaching is really good and always Christ centred!
Charlotte Chapel - Home

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟844,886.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

You might need to "shop around" until you find the right one for you.

Make sure that you don't get involved in a church that subscribes to "performance-based" Christianity. The leaders and people there will judge you on the basis of their written and unwritten rules and regulations that they consider appropriate for a successful Christian.

A good church is one that concentrates on the grace of God and allows believers to work out their own salvation on that basis. Therefore they are not going to have expectations of you outside the main moral areas that all Christians need to be attentive to in order to walk worthy of their calling in Christ.

Another characteristic of a good church is that members are equipped and trained to move in the gifts of the Spirit and to have effective spiritual ministries to the body of Christ.

A church that permits only the high up leaders to have ministries and make all others sit like passive "wooden Indians" in their pews, is not a good church from God's perspective. Those churches bore Him silly.

A good church will function according to 1 Corinthians 14:26, and will make room for those whom have gifts from God to strengthen and encourage the body of Christ.

I guess you are not going to find out these things until you have been going to a church for a while, but those are the principles that I think make up good and bad churches.

Upvote 0

Mightyrearranger

We are surrounded by a rich and fertile mystery
Nov 13, 2011
✟178.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

What about the Wee Wee Frees continuing?

:idea:

Regards

M

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
if you should ever desire to emigrate i know of a GREAT church just a few miles from me. We are big but small, outgoing and inclusive, enthusiastic yet bible based. and if you choose not to emigrate, you can still listen online.
in fact, our online congregation is almost as big as our 'feet on the floor' congregation.
And we are planning on expanding our global outreach and ways to connect in the new year.

There's no time like the present to get onboard :thumbsup: Home (Western Branch Community Church)

ps. the most recent sermons are usually available online by Tuesday, and you can choose whether to hear the whole service or just the sermon. and the sermon notes are both visable and downloadable, so you can keep a copy like so many of us do. I have several year's worth, and use them for quick reference almost every week.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Can anyone recommend a good church/type of church for me?"

What I do in cases where I'm forced to find a church to unite with (which I've been doing now for 50 years) depends of the circumstances. Occasionally I'll be given "Marching orders" - leave where you are, and Go to THAT church - unite with it - it's "Home".

More frequently, I'll MOVE, and have to find a home church in the new location - and so we "Visit around" - until the Spirit lets us KNOW that we're "home" (sometimes His "tastes" are different than mine - but "Home" is "Home").

Since I'm a "Free Range Charismatic", one Denomination's as good as another, and it's the "Body Life" that's actually the issue - I'm there to Give, and to teach, and generally to make some music. I've been Baptist (Southern and otherwise) Assembly of God (most of the last 50 years), Home fellowship (with Dolly Parton's cousin as pastor - interesting time), Instrumental Church of Christ, United Methodist, United Church of Christ, "Bible Church", and "Independent Charismatic".

And we stayed "Home" with the place that we were "planted" - until God, or circumstances caused a "Change" - and then we trusted God to find "Home" for us again. He has for 50 years - sometimes it takes a bit of time - but HE knows were I am, and He knows where "Home" is too.

Right now (since 2004), "HOME" is the "Church on the Hill" (AoG) In DeSoto, TX. Since I'm going on 70 with advanced Coronary Artery disease, I warned the pastor that he'd probably have to preach my funeral - start taking notes.

IF I was deciding for myself - I'd probably look into the "Cowboy Church" - like the big one in Waxahachie, Ellis County.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say, be the church and the church you are in will be better. I have been a member of several churches and have never looked for a custom-built one that will meet all my expectations of what I think a "church" shall be. I have always felt that it was my duty to adjust, not the churches. Shopping for a church cafeteria-style that suits your expectations is like saying that you are the mold into which God must pour Himself. Church does not exist for our pleasure or our entertainment. We exist to serve through the church whether it suits us or not.

IMO, of course. :)

~Jim

Upvote 0
B

Bridgit

Before you join a church I suggest you check their core beliefs on their website, making sure they are in accordance with God's Word. Then, you'll have to see for yourself if the church moves by faith and is filled with the Holy Spirit, bearing fruits.

May you soon find (if you didn't already) the church God has for you. :)

John 15:5 - I am the vine, and you are the branches. If you stay joined to me, and I stay joined to you, then you will produce lots of fruit. But you cannot do anything without me.

Upvote 0