• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

God save me and my family

betrayedbyall

Mar 18, 2014
✟7,611.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I edited to provide a shorter version. I've been married three years and I'm ready for a child. My wife is now not for having a child. She came to the marriage with children that I have loved, cared for, provided for, and accepted as basically my own. I did make it clear before we married that I wanted to have another child. She is no longer on board. Our marriage has been through some struggles, but we have stuck together. Every day isn't great, but we love each other and have worked through a lot.

She got pregnant last year but miscarried. We weren't actually trying, but we weren't really trying to avoid it either. I was elated when i found out she was pregnant, and devastated after the miscarriage. After the miscarriage she went on birth control. This was her decision and I wasn't consulted. I honestly wanted to try again but I didn't want to seem insensitive. I figured we could approach it later.

Well, now it's later and I've heard every excuse to not have a child. From "I'll never lose the baby fat" to "I don't want to start over again with an infant." I have felt betrayed. I don't know what to feel. Even when I lay out my feelings and reasons for wanting a child (including the fact that I wouldn't have married her if I knew this up front), I'm simply told that I need counseling. She avoided the issue for a long time (the past two months) and wouldn't discuss it. I have let resentment build. She thinks my desire to have another child is based off of grief over the miscarriage. While that may be partly true, that's not the only issue. I want a child of my own and I feel like this is the ultimate betrayal. It's not a passing fad that will go away. I have prayed about it and discussed it with a pastor (not my home church has pastor but one I trust and respect). I'm having a very difficult time with this. I am heartbroken beyond belief. Even when she does discuss it (she spends way more time avoiding it), the ultimate conclusion is that we need to go to marriage counseling and improve our relationship. Then she may consider another child. I'm not opposed to this at all, but considering some of her comments have been "I don't feel like being saddled with another infant," I honestly feel like she is just hoping the issue will fade without us addressing it. And, if it doesn't fade and I bring it up again a year from now it'll be the same except we'll be a year older. We aren't getting any younger (she turns 40 next year). I'm heartbroken about this and I know that I will hold serious resentment if she decides not to have a child. I know it's her body and she will suffer most of the pain. I understand her side of this. It's not that she doesn't understand my side. I provide for kids that aren't mine, but I love them. I would be devastated if I was denied having one of my own. What's worse is that she really holds all the cards. She is the ultimate decider short of divine intervention (which I have prayed for lol). This is a life changing decision but she has all the power. I have no problem acknowledging God has all power over me. I trust him. It's hard to trust that with another human being, even one you love. I am scared to death. I don't know what to do. I have received some peace but I can't help but feel that it's temporary. Please pray for me

Last edited:

4KidsMOM

Mar 25, 2015
USA
✟15,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm sorry to hear about all your troubles. Brother, do not allow resentment to settle in. Rebuke it. I understand your pain; I truly understand where you are coming from. you made a point that this may be to fill a void you feel exist in the marriage? Having children do bring couples together but it does not fix any current problems, if any thing it adds on the the pressure or any existing stress. So you wife being at a mature age may understand this at this point of her life.

I believe marriage counseling is a great idea, this way you guys can talk things out with a third party around. Keeping showing your wife your love for her and commitment. Women are really good at sensing underlining issues and can usually sense sincerity or the lack there of.

I ask God in Jesus name to Bless your marriage with peace and understanding.

Amen.

Upvote 0