God loves you! That's great. But does he like you? Does it matter?

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
All Christians say that God loves us. However, nobody ever seems to discuss whether he likes us. My parents loved me, but in many ways, it was more important that they liked me; that they were proud of me. I know God loves me, but I also would like to know that he is "well-pleased" with me. I don't just want salvation, I want to be great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

I don't pose this question as a Catholic. I don't even know if there is a Catholic position on this issue. I am just curious what other Christians, including other Catholics, believe.

Reactions: bling

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟945,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All Christians say that God loves us. However, nobody ever seems to discuss whether he likes us. My parents loved me, but in many ways, it was more important that they liked me; that they were proud of me. I know God loves me, but I also would like to know that he is "well-pleased" with me. I don't just want salvation, I want to be great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

I don't pose this question as a Catholic. I don't even know if there is a Catholic position on this issue. I am just curious what other Christians, including other Catholics, believe.
God is pure so He does not reduce love to another option, as in " like". This is why there is no scripture that directs us to "like one another", it is only love. It is important to understand how Jesus Christ of Nazareth defined love.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟931,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

2 Tim 4:6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; 8 in the future there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

==========================
Rom 2:
3 But do you suppose this, you foolish person who passes judgment on those who practice such things, and yet does them as well, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and restraint and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will repay each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life; 8 but to those who are self-serving and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, He will give wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of mankind who does evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek, 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who does what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the Law who will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law instinctively perform the requirements of the Law, these, though not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of mankind through Christ Jesus.

===============

Matt 25:
22 “Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have earned two more talents.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter the joy of your master.’

24 “Now the one who had received the one talent also came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed. 25 And I was afraid, so I went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you still have what is yours.’

26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You worthless, lazy slave! Did you know that I reap where I did not sow, and gather where I did not scatter seed? 27 Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. 28 Therefore: take the talent away from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.’

29 “For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. 30 And throw the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

God doesn't like or dislike things. We say such things as an analogy of His incomprehensible ways.

God's love is not an emotion, but His good-will toward men.

Many of God's characteristics are descriptions of His doings, not His personal feelings.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟778,348.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't just want salvation, I want to be great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Haha, yeah I'm sure that would be nice. I've sort of given up on being great in the Kingdom myself. Seems out of reach to me now. To answer your question, does God like people? Well I think if you love someone that automatically makes you like them as well, since liking is just a weaker form of Love. So if you Love, then you automatically like. Know what I mean? Yeah idk, i feel like it's hard to please God. His standards are so high. Good thing Christ meets those standards for us and imparts that to us Christians by faith.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
God is pure so He does not reduce love to another option, as in " like". This is why there is no scripture that directs us to "like one another", it is only love. It is important to understand how Jesus Christ of Nazareth defined love.
Blessings.
  1. Why exactly do you think God's purity prevents him from
    'liking" a person.
  2. Why is "like" a reduction of "love?
  3. It's true there is no scripture that directs us to "like one another." The obvious reason for this is that you can't force yourself to "like" someone. However, you can force yourself to "love" someone.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
God doesn't like or dislike things. We say such things as an analogy of His incomprehensible ways.

God's love is not an emotion, but His good-will toward men.

Many of God's characteristics are descriptions of His doings, not His personal feelings.
You are operating under presuppositions about God that are not explicit in scripture.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Haha, yeah I'm sure that would be nice. I've sort of given up on being great in the Kingdom myself. Seems out of reach to me now. To answer your question, does God like people? Well I think if you love someone that automatically makes you like them as well, since liking is just a weaker form of Love. So if you Love, then you automatically like. Know what I mean? Yeah idk, i feel like it's hard to please God. His standards are so high. Good thing Christ meets those standards for us and imparts that to us Christians by faith.
1. Don't give up yet. It's really not hard. Jesus' instruction was very simple. If you want to be great in the Kingdom of Heaven, then you must serve. The standard is not unreachable at all.
2. It's obvious that Love does not include like. In everyday life you can see examples of parents who love all their children, but they don't like all of them. You can also see cases of people that love their parents, but they don't like them. King David loved his son Absalom, but he certainly did not like him.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟945,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. Why exactly do you think God's purity prevents him from
    'liking" a person.
  2. Why is "like" a reduction of "love?
  3. It's true there is no scripture that directs us to "like one another." The obvious reason for this is that you can't force yourself to "like" someone. However, you can force yourself to "love" someone.
Love endures forever.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟839,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Who did Christ like and why did He like them?
To be a friend do you have to like the person?
I see Christ liking people who are honest about themselves, their weaknesses and just wanting to improve. Christ did not like hypocrisy.
Did Christ like that centurion?

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

Those who receive the Circumcision of Christ, the act that takes a person from Spiritual death to Spiritual Life . . . these Holy Elect [will] change, and these who change to more and more reflect the Glory of God, they are the ones who are Transformed into being "likable" people. These are the ones in whom the Lord will be proud.

The general Christian world does not embrace the below Scriptures, so I would be surprised if Catholics were aware of these passages, but I hope they are! :) Colossians 2:9-15 is, in my opinion, the most important Seven verses in the entire Bible. Here are verses 11 and 13:

Colossians 2:11, 13 NLT - 11 "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature." ... 13 "You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins."

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Who did Christ like and why did He like them?
To be a friend do you have to like the person?
I see Christ liking people who are honest about themselves, their weaknesses and just wanting to improve. Christ did not like hypocrisy.
Did Christ like that centurion?
Ok, let's start with "I see Christ liking people who are honest about themselves, their weaknesses and just wanting to improve." I would also that Christ likes people who love their fellow man. But I'll settle for your definition for the sake of this discussion. Does it matter if Christ likes you based on your definition? Many Christians today no longer feel they should want to improve.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Those who receive the Circumcision of Christ, the act that takes a person from Spiritual death to Spiritual Life . . . these Holy Elect [will] change, and these who change to more and more reflect the Glory of God, they are the ones who are Transformed into being "likable" people. These are the ones in whom the Lord will be proud.

The general Christian world does not embrace the below Scriptures, so I would be surprised if Catholics were aware of these passages, but I hope they are! :) Colossians 2:9-15 is, in my opinion, the most important Seven verses in the entire Bible. Here are verses 11 and 13:

Colossians 2:11, 13 NLT - 11 "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature." ... 13 "You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins."
1) I see nothing objectionable about those verses. I completely agree with them. Perhaps I am missing your point.

2) You wrote, "Colossians 2:9-15 is, in my opinion, the most important Seven verses in the entire Bible." As a Catholic, I do have a problem with this statement. When you elevate any verse or verses above others you are doomed to misinterpret scripture. Every single verse is of utmost importance. Paper and ink were hard to come by in the first century. No papyrus space or ink was wasted on superfluous words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Just one example is that you claim, “God doesn't like or dislike things.” There simply is no verse I know of that states this. You appear to have this belief prior to reading scripture. Already having this belief you are forced to make scripture comply with it.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just one example is that you claim, “God doesn't like or dislike things.” There simply is no verse I know of that states this. You appear to have this belief prior to reading scripture. Already having this belief you are forced to make scripture comply with it.
I have this belief prior to Scripture? What if you don't agree with me because you haven't read enough Scripture? I mean, it could be the other way around.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I have this belief prior to Scripture? What if you don't agree with me because you haven't read enough Scripture? I mean, it could be the other way around.
I believe that through honest debate we can get to the truth together. My purpose is not to insult you. I am happy to be proven wrong if it means learning the truth. By all means prove me wrong if you can. Show me a verse that states any of the points you posted.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟839,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, let's start with "I see Christ liking people who are honest about themselves, their weaknesses and just wanting to improve." I would also that Christ likes people who love their fellow man. But I'll settle for your definition for the sake of this discussion. Does it matter if Christ likes you based on your definition? Many Christians today no longer feel they should want to improve.
It is a lot easier to just want and try to be better, than it is to achieve something. It is much easier to see God's Love in action (sacrificially helping others) and want to be like that, then it is to actually be an unselfish, unconditional, sacrificial Lover. A willingness to just accept that love from others as pure undeserved charity is the first step. Yes, God Likes those who Love, but He also likes those willing and humbling wanting to accept His pure charity as charity. God does not like us to have so much pride we refuse to humble ourselves to the point of accepting His Love as pure charity.

Upvote 0