• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Glucophage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Believer55

Mar 18, 2006
Colorado
✟7,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I have a question for you all, I hope you can help me. I was diagnosed with diabetes/insulin resistance a couple weeks ago and I was started on Glucophage. I was told this would help me lose weight and help with the diabetes. I have not yet to lose any weight. Actually it seems that I have gained a couple pounds. Should I be concerned? I thought I would lose at least a little bit. Thanks for any help you can give me. :) Claudia

RN4CHRIST

Contributor
Aug 16, 2005
The boonies.
✟24,551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Theoretically it is possible to lose weight with Glucophage, but highly unlikely. The best way to deal with Type 2 Non-Insulin Dependant Diabetes is with diet change and exercise. These will help with weight loss. Medications like Glucophage are added in combination with these to assist in keeping the Blood Glucose in a safer range. Regular check up's with your doctor/nurse practioner and regular blood glucose testing are also very important in preventing the additional health problems that can come with Diabetes. Here are a couple of helpful links
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
http://www.diabetes.com/
http://www.drugs.com/glucophage.html

Reactions: Col303
Upvote 0

Col303

Finding joy in the journey
Apr 5, 2006
New Jersey
✟15,542.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like the others I did not lose weight from the Glucophage. One of the first things I did when I was diagnosed was to eliminate all white flour from my diet. I went to all whole wheat products like pasta and bread. Just that change made a huge difference and I was able to lose weight.

The links that RN4CHRIST listed are excellent places to get information. Information is one of the weapons we have to keep this disease from taking total control of our lives. The one book that helped me was "Diabetes for Dummies", it has lots of practical information without being too medical in nature.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that may come up as you begin to learn more about Diabetes, we are all in this together.

colleen

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Believer55 said:
Hi! I have a question for you all, I hope you can help me. I was diagnosed with diabetes/insulin resistance a couple weeks ago and I was started on Glucophage. I was told this would help me lose weight and help with the diabetes. I have not yet to lose any weight. Actually it seems that I have gained a couple pounds. Should I be concerned? I thought I would lose at least a little bit. Thanks for any help you can give me. :) Claudia

I don`t think you shall be councerd.How is your bloodsuger? Is it still hight? That can do it that you don`t lose weight? It take time to lose weight that was it for me.Even if you have tried to change your lifestyle with little more healthy food and exersice the stress can make you not to lose weight.If you eat food with low GI - index then you can lose weight and that is good for us diabetics.Lemon and nuts can help you to get lower bloodsuger.I coming back little later and tell you more if you want

Upvote 0

Believer55

Mar 18, 2006
Colorado
✟7,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rut said:
I don`t think you shall be councerd.How is your bloodsuger? Is it still hight? That can do it that you don`t lose weight? It take time to lose weight that was it for me.Even if you have tried to change your lifestyle with little more healthy food and exersice the stress can make you not to lose weight.If you eat food with low GI - index then you can lose weight and that is good for us diabetics.Lemon and nuts can help you to get lower bloodsuger.I coming back little later and tell you more if you want
Thanks to everyone for their responses! My blood sugar right now is all across the board. It is high then low then average. I go to the dr this week and I will see what she plans to do. I am taking 500 mg of Glucophage 2 times per day. I am really really exhausted. I have to take at least 2 naps a day which is very unusual for me. I took off work for a couple weeks to get my blood sugars under control. Any other info you have would be great!!! I am learning more everyday!!!! Claudia

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Col303 said:
Like the others I did not lose weight from the Glucophage. One of the first things I did when I was diagnosed was to eliminate all white flour from my diet. I went to all whole wheat products like pasta and bread. Just that change made a huge difference and I was able to lose weight.

The links that RN4CHRIST listed are excellent places to get information. Information is one of the weapons we have to keep this disease from taking total control of our lives. The one book that helped me was "Diabetes for Dummies", it has lots of practical information without being too medical in nature.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that may come up as you begin to learn more about Diabetes, we are all in this together.

colleen
I agree with the comments that Glucophage/Metformin will generally not cause a person to lose weight; the opposite may happen.

I am surprised to read your comment about wheat bread and pastas. Even those these are not heavily processed grains, like white bread, if I ate alot of that stuff I'd be the size of an elephant in no time. Most diabetics are highly carbohydrate intolerant. When you eat alot of wheat products, you're still eating alot of carbs. I do agree, however, that some carbs are better than others.

For those who like whole grain wheat products, look for Ezekial Bread in the frozen foods section of your health food store or the health food section of your supermarket. Kroger supermarkets in my area carry Ezekial bread. It is made from whole grains that have not been processed like most wheat products, and have a very low, almost nil, sugar content.

Upvote 0

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Notreligus, it isn't that wheat breads and pastas make us lose weight, but in my case, it doesn't spike my blood sugar like the white bread and regular pastas do. Also, brown rice is also better that way. I'll have to look for the Ezekial bread, I work at Kroger, and if we don't carry it, I'll ask the grocery manager to see if we can get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
mamabear56 said:
Notreligus, it isn't that wheat breads and pastas make us lose weight, but in my case, it doesn't spike my blood sugar like the white bread and regular pastas do. Also, brown rice is also better that way. I'll have to look for the Ezekial bread, I work at Kroger, and if we don't carry it, I'll ask the grocery manager to see if we can get it.
I understand your point.

When I first learned I was diabetic, I monitored my blood very frequently to determine that very thing: which foods cause my blood sugar levels to jump the most. This does vary with the individual.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another reason Glucophage (or any DM medicine) may not cause you to lose weight, especially at the initial diagnosis, is because continual high blood sugars will cause weight loss. Once you start taking medication for your diabetes, your body stops that and you gain weight.

Both my wife and I are diabetic, and the best way we lost weight was a modified weight watchers diet and exercise.

Limit your carb intake, but don't cut them out altogether. And I've found that a lot of diet soda really isn't good for you. Aspartame is not the healthiest sugar substitute.

But the best thing you can do is exercise for 30 minutes a day. You can vary what you do, just keep your heart rate elevated for that amount of time.

Upvote 0

sistakrista

PLEASE, PLEASE FEED YOUR PET! THEY ARE HUNGRY!
Aug 30, 2006
by the Arch
✟11,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:wave: I know I'm a bit "late," on this one - but I did lose weight on Glucophage. Granted, it IS a miserable drug with horrible side effects! I lost @ least 30 lbs, in about 6 months. My sugars were a lot better, from the Gluc? the weight loss? I hope your system accepts it better than mine did! I'll be praying for your ongoing battle with this STUPID disease!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.