Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs do not define sin. They are short sayings that reflect somebody's experience.
In my opinion proverbs are the law of Christ. It's about love for God and people

Psalms 10:3 For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire; He blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord.
4 The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.
5 His ways are always prospering;
Your judgments are far above, out of his sight;
As for all his enemies, he sneers at them.
6 He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved;
I shall never be in adversity.”
7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression;
Under his tongue is trouble and iniquity.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's all about the eyes and spiritual blindness

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.

Proverbs 28:27 He who gives to the poor will not lack, But he who hides his eyes will have many curses.

Matthew 6: 22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

You Cannot Serve God and Riches

24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and [i]mammon.

Psalms 10:3 For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire; He blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord.

4 The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.

5 His ways are always prospering; Your judgments are far above, out of his sight;

6 He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved; I shall never be in adversity.” 7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression; Under his tongue is trouble and iniquity

Psalms 115:4 Their idols are silver and gold,
The work of men’s hands.
5 They have mouths, but they do not speak;
Eyes they have, but they do not see;
6 They have ears, but they do not hear;
Noses they have, but they do not smell;
7 They have hands, but they do not handle;
Feet they have, but they do not walk;
Nor do they mutter through their throat.
8 Those who make them are like them;
So is everyone who trusts in them.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,815.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion proverbs are the law of Christ. It's about love for God and people

5 His ways are always prospering;
Your judgments are far above, out of his sight;
6 He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved;
I shall never be in adversity.”
7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression;
Under his tongue is trouble and iniquity.
Psalms are not proverbs, psalms are songs, poetry.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalms are not proverbs, psalms are songs, poetry.
Ezekiel 34:23 I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. 24 I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the Lord have spoken.

Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live;
And I will make an everlasting covenant with you— The sure mercies of David. 4 Indeed I have given him as a witness to the people, A leader and commander for the people.

Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,815.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ezekiel 34:23 I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. 24 I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the Lord have spoken.

Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live;
And I will make an everlasting covenant with you— The sure mercies of David. 4 Indeed I have given him as a witness to the people, A leader and commander for the people.

Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Not sure what is your point, adding more and more genres to the mix. Its not even related to your OP about giving to rich people being a sin.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, it's about the eyesight and wealth

1 Timothy6:9But those who would be rich fall into temptation and a snare and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition

Proverbs 30:17 The eye that mocks his father,
And scorns obedience to his mother,
The ravens of the valley will pick it out,
And the young eagles will eat it.

Proverbs 23:When you sit down to eat with a ruler,
Consider carefully what is before you;
2 And put a knife to your throat
If you are a man given to appetite.
3 Do not desire his delicacies,
For they are deceptive food.

4 Do not overwork to be rich;
Because of your own understanding, cease!
5 Will you set your eyes on that which is not?
For riches certainly make themselves wings;
They fly away like an eagle toward heaven.

Proverbs 23:29 Who has woe?
Who has sorrow?
Who has contentions?
Who has complaints?
Who has wounds without cause?
Who has redness of eyes?
30 Those who linger long at the wine,
Those who go in search of mixed wine.
31 Do not look on the wine when it is red,
When it sparkles in the cup, When it swirls around smoothly;
32 At the last it bites like a serpent,
And stings like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange things,
And your heart will utter perverse things.

34 Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
Or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying:
35 “They have struck me, but I was not hurt;
They have beaten me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink?

Psalmsm 115:4Their idols are silver and gold,
The work of men’s hands.
5 They have mouths, but they do not speak;
Eyes they have, but they do not see;
6 They have ears, but they do not hear;
Noses they have, but they do not smell;
7 They have hands, but they do not handle;
Feet they have, but they do not walk;
Nor do they mutter through their throat.
8 Those who make them are like them;
So is everyone who trusts in them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what is your point, adding more and more genres to the mix. Its not even related to your OP about giving to rich people being a sin.
It's about wealth and giving it to the rich. Being rich oppresses the poor in my opinion. When we give to the poor then we give to Jesus. When we don't give to the poor then we withhold it from Jesus

Proverbs 22:16 One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is giving to rich politicians and preachers a sin?

Priverbs 22:16 One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty.
It is a "context" question. There are circumstances in which giving to the wealthy is necessary. For example, we must pay taxes to the govt., which is then sometimes redistributed to the rich. Wealthy landlords may require that we pay them for rent.

But you're talking about contributing to a politician who needs money for a political race? Nothing wrong. It takes little drops of rain to make an ocean. Just choose the right politician, and contribute what you can afford or wish to give.

Same with evangelists and Christian media. They need small money to create a large fund. And it takes a large fund to make huge inroads through satellite broadcasts, travel expenses to foreign countries, etc. etc. Let wisdom be your guide.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a "context" question. There are circumstances in which giving to the wealthy is necessary. For example, we must pay taxes to the govt., which is then sometimes redistributed to the rich. Wealthy landlords may require that we pay them for rent.

But you're talking about contributing to a politician who needs money for a political race? Nothing wrong. It takes little drops of rain to make an ocean. Just choose the right politician, and contribute what you can afford or wish to give.

Same with evangelists and Christian media. They need small money to create a large fund. And it takes a large fund to make huge inroads through satellite broadcasts, travel expenses to foreign countries, etc. etc. Let wisdom be your guide.
All politics lead us astray into ungodliness and unfaithful spiritual adultery.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,815.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being rich oppresses the poor in my opinion.
Not necessarily. Being rich can also be because you have a successful business, good investments, well paid job, generational wealth etc.

When we give to the poor then we give to Jesus.
Not necessarily. If you give to a poor alcoholic who immediately goes to buy another drink, you hardly give to Jesus.

Proverbs 22:16 One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty.
Its a proverb, as already said. It does not constitute any moral law and sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. Being rich can also be because you have a successful business, good investments, well paid job, generational wealth etc.

Not necessarily. If you give to a poor alcoholic who immediately goes to buy another drink, you hardly give to Jesus.

Its a proverb, as already said. It does not constitute any moral law and sin.
His sheep know his voice. Lawyers do not.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats a strange claim - why do you exclude lawyers from his sheep?
You seem to see instructions as laws that you don't understand. In my opinion. You seem to believe that proverbs isn't God's instruction. That shows thay you don't yet understand God's will.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,815.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to see instructions as laws that you don't understand. In my opinion. You seem to believe that proverbs isn't God's instruction. That shows thay you don't yet understand God's will.
Proverbs are not instructions, correct. Proverbs are short wisdom sayings, reflecting one´s experience.

Upvote 0