✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
w00t! First thread in the new forum!

Having said that, I used to be a proponent of free will, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I consider that determinism implies that humans are bound by the laws of cause and effect, and that the opposite of determinism (free will) would clearly imply that actions can escape the laws of cause and effect. But this doesnt make sense, because if you try to explain actions without making references to causes and effects, then it is implied that actions random acausal events - but we know that interpretation is false by experience.

A few comments on determinism:
- I think the turn off to determinism is the idea that people wont be held morally responsible for their actions (compared to the moral implications of a random acausal event?), but I dont think this is the case as long as we consider that moral responsibility implies that a person knows what he or she is doing, and that their intentions and desires play some part in the outcome of their actions.

- I also think a turn off is the idea that people arent in control of their actions, but determinism suggests that peoples actions will come from them, as they are affected by the interests, beliefs, desires, memories, experiences of the person performing the action (in other words, you actions are determined by the inner circumstances that make you *you*, so how could your actions - even if determined - come from any other place but you?).

- And finally, there is a stigma that determinism implies that the future is predestined. This isnt really a bad thing, because psychology and sociology sciences are based on the idea that much of human behavior is predictable (at least according to statistical norms). But, perhaps more to the point, it may not be possible to predict the outcome of future events based on knowledge of present variables, because as soon as you figure out all the present variables you have changed the present variables - this is a kind of feedback loop which necessarily makes predicting the outcome of future events with absolute accurate impossible even in principle. This implies that although all of our actions are a determined product of cause and effect forces, the future is certainly very malleable rather than a predestined template of actions waiting to unfold.

Comments?

PKJ

Aug 30, 2005
Montreal
Visit site
✟9,493.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Bloc
There's no difference between "perfect illusion of free-will" and "free-will". A possible world where people would have perfect control over their action is pretty much the same than a world where people would be automata.

Thus, as a pragmatist, I would simply say that I don't care.

There's also the moral problem you mentionned, that seems to make us want to pretend that there's free-will even if it's not true.

Upvote 0

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless someone can come up with an indeterminate event... there is no free will.

I think the overwelming resistance to this idea is the concept of hell amongst the overly religious. Determinism... a rational fair god... and the concept of hell aren't compatible. Ultimately we aren't responsible for our mind or actions because we are all products of infinite causal events. So the conclusion is how can a just/fair god punish us and consign us to hell for something we have no control over... this includes doubt or lack of belief in him.

Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This "universalism" argument always frustrates me because of the semantic quibbling over "free" will. If there are two alternatives and we can choose between them, then there is free will. Even if our choices are limited to the perceived avaiabilty of options, we are still free to choose between the options we perceive. If our choices are predetermined.. then what's the point of anything?

Upvote 0

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KCDAD said:
This "universalism" argument always frustrates me because of the semantic quibbling over "free" will. If there are two alternatives and we can choose between them, then there is free will. Even if our choices are limited to the perceived avaiabilty of options, we are still free to choose between the options we perceive. If our choices are predetermined.. then what's the point of anything?
Desribe an event that happens without cause or has some indeterminate element to it. If you can't then freewill doesn't exist. It's that simple.
I'm sorry if this makes you sad or your life worthless. Although that's pretty sad in itself.

Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
levi501 said:
Desribe an event that happens without cause or has some indeterminate element to it. If you can't then freewill doesn't exist. It's that simple.I'm sorry if this makes you sad or your life worthless. Although that's pretty sad in itself.

So then the argument is moot. Free will or not there is option and choice. How do you explain that?

Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
levi501 said:
Ultimately we aren't responsible for our mind or actions because we are all products of infinite causal events

So we are not responsible; we are blamesless, sinless, perfectedly acting out our roles as God created us to?

Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
levi501 said:
If you can't then freewill doesn't exist. It's that simple.

So simple. That's why all of predetermined creations react predeterminly differently to the same predetermined situations. UGH. Your logic stinks.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
levi501 said:
Unless someone can come up with an indeterminate event... there is no free will.

I think the overwelming resistance to this idea is the concept of hell amongst the overly religious. Determinism... a rational fair god... and the concept of hell aren't compatible. Ultimately we aren't responsible for our mind or actions because we are all products of infinite causal events. So the conclusion is how can a just/fair god punish us and consign us to hell for something we have no control over... this includes doubt or lack of belief in him.
Yeah right! We are not responsbile for the unloving things we do. Hitler is not responsble. Balooney! Free will does not mean we are uneffected by our enviroment and experiences but it does mean we are not controled by them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KCDAD said:
So simple. That's why all of predetermined creations react predeterminly differently to the same predetermined situations. UGH. Your logic stinks.
All "predetermined creations" aren't in the same exact settings... but if they were they wouldn't react differently.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
levi501 said:
No there isn't. Every choice you make was predetermined by a preceding chain of causal events. What looks like a choice wasn't.
No what looks like choice is choice and it is not predetermined by a preceding chain of casual event. If that were true we would not be able to do anything new or unusual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KCDAD said:
Wow. Not responsible not insane.
This only speaks out against revenge as a society should protect itself.
But essentially were all a victim of circumstances beyond our control, so there should be no punishment in an afterlife. I can understand for some xians this can be upsetting, but ask yourself, does anything in this world happens without a cause? Ponder that thought then follow it to its inevitable conclusion.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
KCDAD said:
So then the argument is moot. Free will or not there is option and choice. How do you explain that?
It appears that there was "option and choice," but perhaps that is so because you are operating from a framework wherein the feeling of free will is assumed to be indicative of free will. As there is no apparent way to remake a choice, any assurance that we have the capability to choose is premature.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
TeddyKGB said:
It appears that there was "option and choice," but perhaps that is so because you are operating from a framework wherein the feeling of free will is assumed to be indicative of free will. As there is no apparent way to remake a choice, any assurance that we have the capability to choose is premature.
Yes it feels like I have control over my decisions-wait it is true, I do have control over my decisions.

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
levi501 said:

Almost all events in quantum mechanics are indeterminate. The same cause can produce meaning different events. As the brain is subjected to these laws of physics it is possible for the brain to essentially think in ways that are not necessarily predetermine but in most cases the most probable direction will occur. Maybe this could be why there seems to be a strange contradiction of determinism and free will.

Edit: Just as a side note the philosophy of predeterminism is actually dead in the water (on any sort of level in reality) as it simply is not how the universe works.

Upvote 0

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only reason free will appears to exist is because different people are "programmed" differently, so to speak. One will interpret a situation a certain way, and another will interpret it differently. They will make the decisions based on what seems logical to them, and people will ALWAYS choose what seems most logical to them.

That being said, we need to look at possible ways to program the mind. Much of it happens through outside experience, what we are taught and what happens to us. We have the ability to metaprogram, to a degree (that is, rewrite/create/delete programs ourselves rather than have others do it for us), but this would not be anymore free-willed than having others do it for us, as we will still only do it when it is the most logical option.

Upvote 0