Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
SCOTT DEPOT, WV (ANS) -- The population of the United States and much of the world continues to grow older. Humans are living longer. In some nations the older citizens are chosen to be the national leaders. Perhaps we have all worshipped long enough at the shrines of the young and immature.

Not long ago I read a story in a highly reputable world-wide circulated magazine that dared to suggest that the human brain is not ready for its best creative thinking until a person is in their late twenties. Millions of other 18-year-olds and I were once convinced that we knew just about everything. Immature minds easily reach ridiculous conclusions.

I am always amazed during the months of May and June to read that people well past the normal retirement years have received their first college degree. Recently, a lady age 96, was the recipient of her bachelor’s degree. Snagging anything associated with “bachelor” at that age is worth noting.

Kitty and I had the privilege some years ago of spending a week in Pawling, NY, in a conference with the Rev. Dr. Norman Vincent Peale and his brilliant and beautiful wife, Ruth. During that time the famed preacher and author granted me the privilege of a very unusual interview. It lasted much longer than I imagined it would. He explained it this way; “I have never had such a beautiful photographer taking the pictures during an interview.” Since that day Kitty has been the photographer for my interviews.

One of my questions to the cosmopolitan “positive thinker” was this: “Dr. Peale how can you, at age 89, keep up with such a heavy schedule of writing, speaking and traveling throughout the world?” I hope I never forget his simple reply: “Forget your age and do what you can.”

What are some of the things you may be able to do if you just forget that you are 65, the age Americans by the millions want to retire, and begin to do it if you can? Here are a few suggestions that will help you to add life to your years.

1. Read a book each week, including the Bible. Keep your mind alive.

2. Take an interest in making your community a more beautiful place in which to live.

3. Be an active member of your church, club, or a group of citizens your age.

4. Become active as a walker, gardener, hospital volunteer, deliverer of “meals on wheels”, and a good neighbor to someone who needs your help.

5. Learn something new. Dr. Robert H. Reardon, for 25 years the President of Anderson University, learned snow skiing at 64 and roller blading at 78. This noted educator, organist, swimmer, pilot, boater, motorcycle rider, author, theologian, historian, pastor, internationally known preacher and leader continues to leave younger men behind even though he has now had birthday number 85. His just-published biography, “Staying on Course”, by Barry L. Callen, may be ordered from Anderson University Press, 1100 East Fifth Street, Anderson, Indiana 46012-3495. It is a profitable must-read for college presidents, deans, administrators, students, parents, teachers, pastors, civic leaders and all who enjoy reading good books.

6. Develop new hobbies. What about photography, golf, journaling, cooking, painting, landscaping, carpentry and dozens more?

7. Become a substitute schoolteacher, scout leader, youth director, Sunday School teacher, choir member, a tutor for younger students. Use your skills and abilities to help others.

The wise man said, “There is an occasion for everything, and a time for every activity under heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1). Stay alive as long as you live.

Lil, at age 91, was making two round trips six days each week on 65 steep concrete steps from her house to the mailbox and the paper box. She didn’t have to, but she did it because she could.

The Bible gives this encouragement to each of us: “They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength” (Isaiah 40:31). Keep your body, mind, heart and soul strong as you do what you can to make life better for others.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, Older people can go back to college but the one thing is employers want young people over older people. When people reach 50 or older employers are less likely to hire them because of age. I found this out from a friend of mine that has 12 years of college in Engineering and cann't find a job because he is over 50. He will have to go into business for himself to make a living.

Robert.

Upvote 0