Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interestingly, the image of a Mediterranean person using a lot of olive oil in their food is quite a modern thing. The traditional cooking was based on the pig lard.

At this point the thought of eating an animal is revolting to me...especially something like pig lard.:sigh:

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,492,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Low stress will make you live longer alright. Yet, this isn't the calling of a Christian. There will be plenty of persecutions and trials. Definitely not low stress!
There should also be plenty of fellowship, love, and mutual support to balance that out. A properly operating congregation will supply each member with many mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers to help in life.

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,220.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There should also be plenty of fellowship, love, and mutual support to balance that out. A properly operating congregation will supply each member with many mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers to help in life.

Just my luck that I couldn't find a church that held the same Christian belief as I do. I have OCD and you may be familiar how OCD sufferers have a distinct perspective of religion, the Bible, God, and morality. I was able to make sense of the Bible but the conclusion I have come to does not fit any known Christian doctrine nor denomination/non-denominational beliefs.

If found some relief in stress through exercise. My diet is just there to fuel and sustain the workouts while keeping it cheap.

All points taken in this thread. I have used both locally manufactured whole grain and refined flour in some of the foods I make and currently using refined flour to make some dairy home-made snack for almost a year now. No effect to my blood pressure, no effect to my body fat %, and no effect to my weight / BMI.

What's causing significant effect to these parameters is my weekly exercise volume and if I ate lots of sweets or greasy foods. Although I use refined sugar on a daily basis. My consumption of sugar/sweets is still far less than a typical American diet which is also popular here.

I agree with some of the responses about individual ingredients like flour, or even refined flour isn't the problem on their own but the kind of food you're trying to make with them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,280,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I live in the Philippines and I would know that people living here are only good at pretending to be happy.

Statistics tell the truth otherwise. Americans are still happier than us. In fact, better than Japan and South Korea too:

I trust Harvard sociologist Arthur Brook's when he says these kinds of indexes are nonsensical.

America's suicide rates, especially among young people, are remarkably high. America also leads the world in psychiatric medication consumption. It's not a happy country, as far as post-industrialized nations go, except perhaps for a small minority.

Japan and Korea being "unhappy" despite the high per capita income and greater life expectancy. There are tons of South Koreans living here and I know what they're so miserable about - their self-image. Very insecure, very self-absorbed folks and unfortunately, our younger generation is falling into the same fate.

As they say "money won't make you happy but it can make your life a lot less stressful". I found it to be true especially if not in debt.

On the other hand, Asians, due to the influence of Buddhism and Hinduism, tend to have lowered expectations about the potential for happiness from this life, so subjectively, they may be more content in some ways.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,647.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At this point the thought of eating an animal is revolting to me...especially something like pig lard.:sigh:
Thats because of our modern lifestyle. We have lost our connection with the food we are eating. We buy it packed in plastic, cleaned, portioned, flavored, colored, having no idea how it is made (and frequently also from what). Food has become an industry.

The only animals we see in our life are pets, in Zoo, birds or while hiking.

But this was not the case before industrialization. Animals were the most important part of our diet, we would not survive without them. Pigs being the easiest one to get a lot of protein and fat from. Cows/goats/sheep. Poultry, rabbits.

We are the only species on this planet that need to be told what we are supposed to eat. Because we have lost our connection with the nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,220.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I trust Harvard sociologist Arthur Brook's when he says these kinds of indexes are nonsensical.

America's suicide rates, especially among young people, are remarkably high. America also leads the world in psychiatric medication consumption. It's not a happy country, as far as post-industrialized nations go, except perhaps for a small minority.

People in my country don't commit suicide because we've been terrorized about hell and demons since childhood by our parents.

People in my country also don't take psych meds because they don't even know they're crazy in the first place. Mental healthcare in the Philippines is still in the infancy stage.

The emigration rate is probably a more reliable indicator of how miserable and sad a country is among poor countries who are far too religious to commit suicide or don't have shrink to tell they're crazy. My country does have ridiculous emigration rate as well as other miserable and sad countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc.

But it's also true, it takes less to entertain the poor. We don't take things for granted the way Americans do. We get happier for less and this is a good sign of humility. But still, the huge stress of not having enough money for many essential things can deal a large toll to the health of many living in poverty.

Personally, I think stress and happiness are two different things - For example, having financial security, lots of free time, and an easy life still cannot guarantee happiness....But it can make your life a lot less stressful.

On the other hand, Asians, due to the influence of Buddhism and Hinduism, tend to have lowered expectations about the potential for happiness from this life, so subjectively, they may be more content in some ways.

My mom's church pastor is Chinese who used to Buddhist and admits the Chinese culture is very materialistic, wealth-driven culture. Very insecure about their wealth.

The young South Koreans that live in our cities have major insecurity problems, as expected from today's social media driven culture. I never saw them smiling and are snubs, rude. Quite surprising for a strongly Christian race. Only very few Japanese live here so I have no idea about the Japanese except with a brief stopover at their airport decades ago. They seem about the nicest Asians/people I've ever met but that was decades ago. It could be much different now.

I think Asians behave better when living in USA because they treat others with equal footing. Here, people are poorer and they would behave like snubs.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's philosophical, not clinical.
Yes. And personal preference.
But there is also clinical evidence for the health value of less saturated fat in the diet.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats because of our modern lifestyle. We have lost our connection with the food we are eating. We buy it packed in plastic, cleaned, portioned, flavored, colored, having no idea how it is made (and frequently also from what). Food has become an industry.

The only animals we see in our life are pets, in Zoo, birds or while hiking.

But this was not the case before industrialization. Animals were the most important part of our diet, we would not survive without them. Pigs being the easiest one to get a lot of protein and fat from. Cows/goats/sheep. Poultry, rabbits.

We are the only species on this planet that need to be told what we are supposed to eat. Because we have lost our connection with the nature.
Sure, but notice how we also change the name.

We don't eat "pigs". We eat "pork".
We don't eat "cows". We eat "beef".
We don't eat "little cows". We eat "veal".

Isn't that also distancing ourselves from the reality of what we eat?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,647.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I do not know what are the reasons for different naming...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,220.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes. And personal preference.
But there is also clinical evidence for the health value of less saturated fat in the diet.

I don't think I could trust info about diet including published studies.

Just toy around with the search engine. Search for topics like "is bla bla bla good for you", "is bla bla bla bad for you". And you'll actually find results of different studies publishing contradictory results.

Although a few things remain true from personal experiences like fast food, processed meat, and junk food are indeed bad.

Only one thing experts in health seem to unanimously agree on is exercising. So far I haven't heard of any experts saying that exercising is bad, save for, over-doing it.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,647.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was said so for the last several decades, yes. But it seems it was based on bad science and bias paid by sugar/cereal companies.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But for CVD risk it comes down to who you will believe. I will stick with the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, and AHA.

Eating a diet high in saturated fats, trans fat, and cholesterol has been linked to heart disease and related conditions, such as atherosclerosis. Also, too much salt (sodium) in the diet can raise blood pressure.
CDCP Know Your Risk for Heart Disease | cdc.gov

Based on the current evidence, the optimal dietary pattern to reduce CVD is one that emphasizes whole grains, fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, fish, poultry, and moderate dairy and heart-healthy vegetable oil intake; this pattern will likely reduce the CVD risk by about a third. This healthy dietary pattern needs also to be low in refined grains, added sugars, trans-fats, SSBs, and red and processed meats.
MIH Food Consumption and its impact on Cardiovascular Disease: Importance of Solutions focused on the globalized food system: A Report from the Workshop convened by the World Heart Federation

The evidence favors consumption of healthy dietary patterns, such as the Mediterranean diet or DASH diet, against other unhealthy dietary patterns, such as the Western diet, based on a high consumption of salt, added sugars, and saturated and trans-fats.

Eat more vegetables and fruits​

Eating too much saturated fat can raise the level of LDL cholesterol in your blood. A high level of LDL cholesterol in your blood increases your risk of heart disease and stroke.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,647.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But for CVD risk it comes down to who you will believe. I will stick with the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, and AHA.

Eating a diet high in saturated fats, trans fat, and cholesterol has been linked to heart disease and related conditions, such as atherosclerosis. Also, too much salt (sodium) in the diet can raise blood pressure.
CDCP Know Your Risk for Heart Disease | cdc.gov

Based on the current evidence, the optimal dietary pattern to reduce CVD is one that emphasizes whole grains, fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, fish, poultry, and moderate dairy and heart-healthy vegetable oil intake; this pattern will likely reduce the CVD risk by about a third. This healthy dietary pattern needs also to be low in refined grains, added sugars, trans-fats, SSBs, and red and processed meats.
MIH Food Consumption and its impact on Cardiovascular Disease: Importance of Solutions focused on the globalized food system: A Report from the Workshop convened by the World Heart Federation

The evidence favors consumption of healthy dietary patterns, such as the Mediterranean diet or DASH diet, against other unhealthy dietary patterns, such as the Western diet, based on a high consumption of salt, added sugars, and saturated and trans-fats.

Eat more vegetables and fruits​

Eating too much saturated fat can raise the level of LDL cholesterol in your blood. A high level of LDL cholesterol in your blood increases your risk of heart disease and stroke.
As @timewerx said, it simply depends on what you search for.

The recommendation to limit dietary saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake has persisted despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Most recent meta-analyses of randomized trials and observational studies found no beneficial effects of reducing SFA intake on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total mortality, and instead found protective effects against stroke.

...the AHA meta-analysis only included 4 trials (the Core Trials), and those trials contained design and methodological flaws and did not meet all the predefined inclusion criteria. The AHA stance regarding the strength of the evidence for the recommendation to limit SFAs for heart disease prevention may be overstated and in need of reevaluation.

There is insufficient evidence from randomised controlled trials to date to recommend consumption of whole grain diets to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, or lower blood cholesterol, or blood pressure.

The view of the causes and prevention of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) has been undergoing fundamental changes during recent years. Meta-analyses of observational studies and available clinical trials have not been able to find any reliable link between saturated fat and CVDs which has been the pillar of official nutritional guidelines for more than three decades.
...However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs.

Available evidence from adequately controlled randomised controlled trials suggest replacing SFA with mostly n-6 PUFA is unlikely to reduce CHD events, CHD mortality or total mortality. The suggestion of benefits reported in earlier meta-analyses is due to the inclusion of inadequately controlled trials. These findings have implications for current dietary recommendations.

The panel suggests that adults continue current unprocessed red meat consumption

Total Meat Intake is Associated with Life Expectancy: A Cross-Sectional Data Analysis of 175 Contemporary Populations

Red Meat Is Not a Health Risk. A New Study Slams Years of Shoddy Research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As @timewerx said, it simply depends on what you search for.

The recommendation to limit dietary saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake has persisted despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Most recent meta-analyses of randomized trials and observational studies found no beneficial effects of reducing SFA intake on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total mortality, and instead found protective effects against stroke.

...the AHA meta-analysis only included 4 trials (the Core Trials), and those trials contained design and methodological flaws and did not meet all the predefined inclusion criteria. The AHA stance regarding the strength of the evidence for the recommendation to limit SFAs for heart disease prevention may be overstated and in need of reevaluation.

There is insufficient evidence from randomised controlled trials to date to recommend consumption of whole grain diets to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, or lower blood cholesterol, or blood pressure.

The view of the causes and prevention of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) has been undergoing fundamental changes during recent years. Meta-analyses of observational studies and available clinical trials have not been able to find any reliable link between saturated fat and CVDs which has been the pillar of official nutritional guidelines for more than three decades.
...However, regardless of the statistical method used, the results always show very similar trends and identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals and wheat, in particular) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs.

Available evidence from adequately controlled randomised controlled trials suggest replacing SFA with mostly n-6 PUFA is unlikely to reduce CHD events, CHD mortality or total mortality. The suggestion of benefits reported in earlier meta-analyses is due to the inclusion of inadequately controlled trials. These findings have implications for current dietary recommendations.

The panel suggests that adults continue current unprocessed red meat consumption

Total Meat Intake is Associated with Life Expectancy: A Cross-Sectional Data Analysis of 175 Contemporary Populations

Red Meat Is Not a Health Risk. A New Study Slams Years of Shoddy Research.
Well, Kind of bought and paid for research:

Dr. Astrup has received research funding from Danish Dairy Foundation, and the European Milk Foundation;
Dr. Brenna has received research funding from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association/North Dakota Beef Council;
Dr. Hill has received research funding from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association;
Drs. Mente and Yusuf have received research funding from the Dairy Farmers of Canada and the National Dairy Council
Dr. Volek has received research funding National Dairy Council/Dutch Dairy Organization,
Dr. Krauss has received research funding from Dairy Management

• Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,280,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
People in my country don't commit suicide because we've been terrorized about hell and demons since childhood by our parents.

That's not exactly how it works. Some countries have more suicides typically because of wider sociological factors, not because of specific religious beliefs about the afterlife.

People in my country also don't take psych meds because they don't even know they're crazy in the first place. Mental healthcare in the Philippines is still in the infancy stage.

Here in the US, we have medicalized ordinary life experiences into pathology. People also often have unrealistic expectations.

The emigration rate is probably a more reliable indicator of how miserable and sad a country is among poor countries who are far too religious to commit suicide or don't have shrink to tell they're crazy. My country does have ridiculous emigration rate as well as other miserable and sad countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc.

Emigration reflects birth rates, not necessarily how miserable a country is in general.

But it's also true, it takes less to entertain the poor. We don't take things for granted the way Americans do. We get happier for less and this is a good sign of humility. But still, the huge stress of not having enough money for many essential things can deal a large toll to the health of many living in poverty.

Personally, I think stress and happiness are two different things - For example, having financial security, lots of free time, and an easy life still cannot guarantee happiness....But it can make your life a lot less stressful.

Some people have those things and aren't happy at all.

My mom's church pastor is Chinese who used to Buddhist and admits the Chinese culture is very materialistic, wealth-driven culture. Very insecure about their wealth.

Some of those values are relatively recent. East Asia has been gradually shaped since the post World War II era by the values of capitalism and materialism, often imposed or modeled after the American pattern of development. These are often held in tension with Confucian or Buddhist values (even in a country like Korea).

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,647.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, Kind of bought and paid for research:

Dr. Astrup has received research funding from Danish Dairy Foundation, and the European Milk Foundation;
Dr. Brenna has received research funding from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association/North Dakota Beef Council;
Dr. Hill has received research funding from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association;
Drs. Mente and Yusuf have received research funding from the Dairy Farmers of Canada and the National Dairy Council
Dr. Volek has received research funding National Dairy Council/Dutch Dairy Organization,
Dr. Krauss has received research funding from Dairy Management
1. I am not sure what is your source, you provided no link

2. Those are authors of only the first study in my post, there are plenty more studies and analysis mentioned in my post

3. Do not expect pro-plant studies to be without bias or associations to be without donations from big food and big pharma companies. For example, your AHA received donations from Coca Cola, Walgreens, Daily Harvest, Lipton, Nectar, Southeastern Grocers, Weis Markets and many others.
And from many pharmaceutical companies.

Also, many pro-plant studies are connected to Loma Linda - Seventh Day Adventists, they also do peer-review to each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,492,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not know what are the reasons for different naming...

That difference is because the Angles lost a war with the Saxons.

The Anglish-speaking serfs who farmed the animals called the animals "pigs," "cows," and "calves." Also, "sheep."

The conquering Saxony-speaking nobility who ate the animals, called them "porque," "beef," and "veal." Also "mutton."

Upvote 0