WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. On April 7th, I was thinking to myself about the solar eclipse for the next day. While thinking that, I had a premonition that something bad in the news would happen. Not because of the eclipse itself (eclipses are perfectly safe), but that someone would fire a weapon on a group of individuals either due to the rampant misinformation about this once in a few years natural event where the moon passes between the sun and the earth, or due to other issues. So, on April 9th, after viewing the eclipse the day prior with solar glasses, I skimmed over the news. My prediction was true. A woman in Florida fired several rounds of bullets at cars when she was driving, stating "God told her so". In reality, God never told her anything, as God in the New Testament is a loving God who does not condone violence.

Man, this stuff grinds my gears. Why do Christians have to use God as an excuse to commit violent crimes? I am grateful that no one died in this incident, but this makes me sad at the state of our world. It is high time that the US bans assault rifles. Australia banned them in the 1990s. Germany also has strict rules about gun ownership in general. It feels like we in the USA live in a country between third world and first world.

Some Christians are ignoring the pacifist message of Ephesians 4:31-32: "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Also, this woman ignored this verse in Matthew 26:52: "Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Deranged FL. Woman shoots at cars during eclipse: Suspect in Florida highway shooting says God sent her because of eclipse

Article summary:

The article, written by AP and The Guardian staff, reports on a shooting incident that occurred in Florida on April 8, 2024. A woman named Taylon Nichelle Celestine, 22, from Georgia, allegedly went on a shooting spree after checking out of a hotel and stated that she was following God's instructions due to the North American solar eclipse.

The incident began when Celestine entered Interstate 10 in Bonifay, Florida, which is about 115 miles (180 km) from the Alabama border in the Florida panhandle region. Within five miles (8 km), she fired several shots into a passing car, shattering windows and wounding the driver in the arm. She then fired at a second vehicle, striking the driver in the neck. The injured drivers were both taken to hospitals for treatment.

After traveling about 16 miles (26 km), Celestine was stopped by the Florida highway patrol, who found her in possession of an AR-15 rifle and a 9mm handgun. She was arrested and charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and improper discharge of a firearm. The article does not provide information about Celestine's bail or legal representation.

The shooting incident has brought renewed attention to the ease with which Americans can acquire firearms and potentially use them to harm others at random. The article notes that many activists have called on federal lawmakers to enact more substantial firearms restrictions in response to such incidents. However, few such measures have been adopted.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....Why do Christians have to use God as an excuse to commit violent crimes?.....
How do we know shes not being genuine in her explanation? I think people really do believe God is speaking various things to them from time to time.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do we know shes not being genuine in her explanation? I think people really do believe God is speaking various things to them from time to time.
She might have a disorder known as scrupulosity, but we will not know until the article is updated. I hope you are not advocating for this woman's sins.

Here is a verse from 1 John 4:1: "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

Scrupulosity: What is OCD & Scrupulosity | International OCD Foundation

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
She might have a disorder known as scrupulosity, but we will not know until the article is updated. I hope you are not advocating for this woman's sins.

Here is a verse from 1 John 4:1: "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

I definitely do not excuse her crime.

Certain Christians seem to hear awful things from God from time to time. Could be mental illness. Or it could be too much ideological indoctrination.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I definitely do not excuse her crime.

Certain Christians seem to hear awful things from God from time to time. Could be mental illness. Or it could be too much ideological indoctrination.
Good, just making sure. I am betting it is mental illness on her part, and partly indoctrination. In an ideal world, people would need a rigorous psychological screening before buying guns.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just because someone uses the name of the Lord doesn't make them a believer. Who was she before the incident? What does her life bear witness to? The bible tells us to try the spirit. Which means exploring the backstory to determine if the report is credible before making an assessment. Whether she's a believer is yet to be seen and the purpose of the piece is mentioned in the last paragraph.

The shooting incident has brought renewed attention to the ease with which Americans can acquire firearms and potentially use them to harm others at random.

That's the call to action and the thing they want the reader to respond to. The call to action is the reason behind the piece. If they tarnish Christianity in the process that's equally good.

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,669.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. On April 7th, I was thinking to myself about the solar eclipse for the next day. While thinking that, I had a premonition that something bad in the news would happen.
Really? But nothing bad ever happens in the news. Why would the day of the solar eclipse be any different?

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? But nothing bad ever happens in the news. Why would the day of the solar eclipse be any different?
Agreed. Sarcasm detected. :) Bad stuff happens in the news every day, but I knew that someone was going to use the eclipse as an excuse to do their bad deed.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,558.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello folks. On April 7th, I was thinking to myself about the solar eclipse for the next day. While thinking that, I had a premonition that something bad in the news would happen. Not because of the eclipse itself (eclipses are perfectly safe), but that someone would fire a weapon on a group of individuals either due to the rampant misinformation about this once in a few years natural event where the moon passes between the sun and the earth, or due to other issues. So, on April 9th, after viewing the eclipse the day prior with solar glasses, I skimmed over the news. My prediction was true. A woman in Florida fired several rounds of bullets at cars when she was driving, stating "God told her so". In reality, God never told her anything, as God in the New Testament is a loving God who does not condone violence.

Man, this stuff grinds my gears. Why do Christians have to use God as an excuse to commit violent crimes? I am grateful that no one died in this incident, but this makes me sad at the state of our world. It is high time that the US bans assault rifles. Australia banned them in the 1990s. Germany also has strict rules about gun ownership in general. It feels like we in the USA live in a country between third world and first world.

Some Christians are ignoring the pacifist message of Ephesians 4:31-32: "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Also, this woman ignored this verse in Matthew 26:52: "Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Deranged FL. Woman shoots at cars during eclipse: Suspect in Florida highway shooting says God sent her because of eclipse

Article summary:

The article, written by AP and The Guardian staff, reports on a shooting incident that occurred in Florida on April 8, 2024. A woman named Taylon Nichelle Celestine, 22, from Georgia, allegedly went on a shooting spree after checking out of a hotel and stated that she was following God's instructions due to the North American solar eclipse.

The incident began when Celestine entered Interstate 10 in Bonifay, Florida, which is about 115 miles (180 km) from the Alabama border in the Florida panhandle region. Within five miles (8 km), she fired several shots into a passing car, shattering windows and wounding the driver in the arm. She then fired at a second vehicle, striking the driver in the neck. The injured drivers were both taken to hospitals for treatment.

After traveling about 16 miles (26 km), Celestine was stopped by the Florida highway patrol, who found her in possession of an AR-15 rifle and a 9mm handgun. She was arrested and charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and improper discharge of a firearm. The article does not provide information about Celestine's bail or legal representation.

The shooting incident has brought renewed attention to the ease with which Americans can acquire firearms and potentially use them to harm others at random. The article notes that many activists have called on federal lawmakers to enact more substantial firearms restrictions in response to such incidents. However, few such measures have been adopted.
The OT and NT gods are like different guys?

The " assault weapon ban" did not ban any assault
weapons.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OT and NT gods are like different guys?

The " assault weapon ban" did not ban any assault
weapons.
I meant to say defacto ban. The OT era and NT era are like different eras, and cultures were different, so therefore humans responded to God differently, so thus God had to respond differently, until Jesus arrived in the NT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,558.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I meant to say defacto ban. The OT era and NT era are like different eras, and cultures were different, so therefore humans responded to God differently, so thus God had to respond differently, until Jesus arrived in the NT.
The term would be "nominal", pretty much the
opposite of " de facto".

I bothered to look up the ban.
First, the weapons banned were not " assault rifles"
Second, said ban only dealt with
- certain combinations of osmotic features
- certain models of rifles could not be imported

The result was that functionally identical rifles
produced in the usa enjoyed a huge upsurge in sales.

No ( zero) assault rifles were banned.

As for the variable God inwhich I have no belief,
I took a sec to see what bible says.

It says god changeth not, nor does he become different.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The term would be "nominal", pretty much the
opposite of " de facto".

I bothered to look up the ban.
First, the weapons banned were not " assault rifles"
Second, said ban only dealt with
- certain combinations of osmotic features
- certain models of rifles could not be imported

The result was that functionally identical rifles
produced in the usa enjoyed a huge upsurge in sales.

No ( zero) assault rifles were banned.

As for the variable God inwhich I have no belief,
I took a sec to see what bible says.

It says god changeth not, nor does he become different.
I was talking about Australia's ban. The US needs a ban similar to the Australians. It is true that God does not change, but He did make a promise never to flood the Earth again in the OT. So, this shows that God can make decisions, even though He is unchanging and omnipotent. This is the beauty of God. He is beyond our understanding, but know this, He will always keep a promise. Hence, why God sent Jesus to Earth. :)

Genesis 9:8-17 "Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This is a different story. The initial story was horrifying. And now new details emerge.

Mom who pushed kids from moving car was astrology influencer disturbed by eclipse

Danielle Johnson was worried about the eclipse.

The astrology influencer and “divine healer,” who went by the name Danielle Ayoka online, called the upcoming astronomical event “the epitome of spiritual warfare” and told people they needed to “pick a side,” in posts Thursday on X.

[from one of her tweets:] WAKE UP WAKE UP THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE. EVERYONE WHO HAS EARS LISTEN.

Less than three days later, in the early morning before the partial solar eclipse, Johnson left a trail of tragedy in her wake: her partner stabbed to death in the kitchen of the family apartment in Woodland Hills, her 8-month-old baby dead after being pushed from Johnson’s moving Porsche Cayenne on the 405, and Johnson herself dead after crashing her car on Pacific Coast Highway in Redondo Beach.

[LAPD said] Johnson and her partner, 29-year-old Jaelen Allen Chaney, had no documented history of domestic violence or calls to the Los Angeles Police Department. There were no prior indicators of domestic strife, Golan said.

Under the Ayoka moniker, Johnson issued a torrent of antisemitic screeds, conspiracy theories and alarmist warnings on Thursday and Friday. These included a repost of a debunked apocryphal speech attributed to Ben Franklin about how Jewish people “depreciated” societies wherever they settled, a video about █████ ███████ ███████ in the entertainment industry, and unproven theories about the origin of COVID-19.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,558.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was talking about Australia's ban. The US needs a ban similar to the Australians. It is true that God does not change, but He did make a promise never to flood the Earth again in the OT. So, this shows that God can make decisions, even though He is unchanging and omnipotent. This is the beauty of God. He is beyond our understanding, but know this, He will always keep a promise. Hence, why God sent Jesus to Earth. :)

Genesis 9:8-17 "Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

A decision is not changing with the times.

In the event, your God could not very well have decided
not to flood the earth again, as there never was a flood.

Is it possible you are speaking in some non literal terms?

You do understand that there never was an ark or flood?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a different story. The initial story was horrifying. And now new details emerge.

Mom who pushed kids from moving car was astrology influencer disturbed by eclipse

Danielle Johnson was worried about the eclipse.

The astrology influencer and “divine healer,” who went by the name Danielle Ayoka online, called the upcoming astronomical event “the epitome of spiritual warfare” and told people they needed to “pick a side,” in posts Thursday on X.

[from one of her tweets:] WAKE UP WAKE UP THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE. EVERYONE WHO HAS EARS LISTEN.

Less than three days later, in the early morning before the partial solar eclipse, Johnson left a trail of tragedy in her wake: her partner stabbed to death in the kitchen of the family apartment in Woodland Hills, her 8-month-old baby dead after being pushed from Johnson’s moving Porsche Cayenne on the 405, and Johnson herself dead after crashing her car on Pacific Coast Highway in Redondo Beach.

[LAPD said] Johnson and her partner, 29-year-old Jaelen Allen Chaney, had no documented history of domestic violence or calls to the Los Angeles Police Department. There were no prior indicators of domestic strife, Golan said.

Under the Ayoka moniker, Johnson issued a torrent of antisemitic screeds, conspiracy theories and alarmist warnings on Thursday and Friday. These included a repost of a debunked apocryphal speech attributed to Ben Franklin about how Jewish people “depreciated” societies wherever they settled, a video about █████ ███████ ███████ in the entertainment industry, and unproven theories about the origin of COVID-19.
Man, that sounds dark. I will not summarize that article, as it gets really dark, real fast. People need to understand that the eclipse is a natural phenomenon that happens some place around the world every 1.5 years. It seems that the internet (especially Twitter/X after Musk bought it) has been spiraling out of control. Honestly, ever since DJT got elected, it seems that conspiracy theories are on the rise. But, a journal article from PLOS One says that even in the 2020s, conspiracy theories have not shown any trend of rising. The theories just change with the times: Have beliefs in conspiracy theories increased over time?

Also, these antisemitic people need to realize we are living in 2024, not 1940s Germany. Heck, even Jesus was a Jew, and he spoke out against violence. These wannabe Christian influencers who talk about spiritual warefare need to read their Bibles again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,558.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Man, that sounds dark. I will not summarize that article, as it gets really dark, real fast. People need to understand that the eclipse is a natural phenomenon that happens some place around the world every 1.5 years. It seems that the internet (especially Twitter/X after Musk bought it) has been spiraling out of control. Honestly, ever since DJT got elected, it seems that conspiracy theories are on the rise. But, a journal article from PLOS One says that even in the 2020s, conspiracy theories have not shown any trend of rising. The theories just change with the times: Have beliefs in conspiracy theories increased over time?

Also, these antisemitic people need to realize we are living in 2024, not 1940s Germany. Heck, even Jesus was a Jew, and he spoke out against violence. These wannabe Christian influencers who talk about spiritual warefare need to read their Bibles again.
Mentally disturbed people find in the Bible a
great source of inspiration for their terrible acts.

I had one such tell me he would hang me from
a lamp post as soon as he got Word that it's time
to start killing all the atheists.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟143,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mentally disturbed people find in the Bible a
great source of inspiration for their terrible acts.

I had one such tell me he would hang me from
a lamp post as soon as he got Word that it's time
to start killing all the atheists.
That stuff sounds scary. Stay away from people like that.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Not likely. More likely she was psychotic or schizophrenic.

Scrupulous people generally try to avoid doing things that would otherwise be perceived as evil.

• Agree
Upvote 0