Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
FOL is a strong proof of claims. Its components are
  1. Propositional calculus, an example
  2. Existential quantifier, for some (1 Corinthians 9:22)
  3. Universal quantifier, for all
  4. Transitivity: x=y, y=z => x=z
  5. Proof by contradiction, Jesus used it
I avoid spaghetti logic, i.e., the kind of logic that goes all over the place all at once. I prefer linear logic and try not to miss any steps along the path. Only after one path has been exhausted do I start another path.

People who are not trained in FOL tend to overgeneralize and jump to conclusions. I was the same. You may want to learn it :)

See also Translating between English and Propositional Logic.

No modal operators? I understand if you're not a fan of David Lewis, but modal operators open up whole new worlds ;) I guess you're keeping it strictly to the basics of propositional logic.

ETA: Is modal logic what you mean by "spaghetti logic"?

Last edited:
Reactions: tonychanyt

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟103,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No modal operators?
Sure, if you want to apply modal logic to biblical hermeneutics, it is fine. Also, there is the 2nd order logic.

I understand if you're not a fan of David Lewis, but modal operators open up whole new worlds ;) I guess you're keeping it strictly to the basics of propositional logic.
I use whatever is useful while at the same time trying to keep things as simple as possible.

ETA: Is modal logic what you mean by "spaghetti logic"?
Not at all. Spaghetti logic is a tangling, confusing bad logic.

I would be happy to see any kind of formal logic being applied to the Bible. Good post :)

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟876,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure, if you want to apply modal logic to biblical hermeneutics, it is fine. Also, there is the 2nd order logic.

I use whatever is useful while at the same time trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Not at all. Spaghetti logic is a tangling, confusing bad logic.

I would be happy to see any kind of formal logic being applied to the Bible. Good post :)

I was mostly pulling your leg, as they say. I can tell you're much more proficient at applying propositional logic to biblical texts than I could be. I have been enjoying your posts. I do agree that logic as a tool helps clarify and avoid confusion.

• Agree
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0