Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have much money, but I am always on the lookout for legitimate organisations who can spend any surpluses I do accrue better than I can. My top global priorities are the eradication of poverty and stopping environmental degradation. Here are two of my current favourites:

This one, Tree Aid, manages to hit both targets at once: food for the poor, employment opportunities for the poor, locks up carbon, and even increases the availabilty and reduces the price of cashew nuts (my favourites!)

This one, Lend with Care, provides microfinance support to entrepreneurs, farmers and small businesses. As the name suggests, the funds one supplies is a loan, not a donation. So you get your money back, in due course, to lend on again, if you so choose. In this way, over time, even a small amount of money can do a whole lot of good.

So, do you have any other recommendations for me?

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟293,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, do you have any other recommendations for me?

Local'ish to me So Others Might Eat helps the DC community

Home - So Others Might Eat

Other places like Heartly House help get families out of domestic abuse/violence situations and provide temporary shelters. I would suggest looking for things local to your immediate community like that.

Pretend you are in a real crisis (financial, homeless, domestic, mental, addiction) and look locally for help - then, support that, would be my advice. You'll be doing your neighbor some good.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Other places like Heartly House help get families out of domestic abuse/violence situations and provide temporary shelters. I would suggest looking for things local to your immediate community like that.

Pretend you are in a real crisis (financial, homeless, domestic, mental, addiction) and look locally for help - then, support that, would be my advice. You'll be doing your neighbor some good.

Hmmm. My strategy is a little different to that. Because my funds are so limited, I really do want maximum bang for my buck. So far as the developed world goes, I'm content to leave improvements to governments, corporates and wealthy philanthropists. Any paltry sum I might donate here would be immediately lost in overheads. However, approximately one third of the world's population live on $2 per day or less. These people can barely afford to eat, and sometimes not even that, let alone buy health care, or educate their children. Their governments are often dysfunctional, they have no recourse to a welfare state, and charity is scarce. So this is where I think I can make a real difference, however small that difference may be.

And, as far as Jesus was concerned, the whole world is our neighbour. At least, that's the impression I get from 'The Good Samaritan'.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am always on the lookout for legitimate organisations who can spend any surpluses I do accrue better than I can. My top global priorities are the eradication of poverty and stopping environmental degradation.

May I suggest that you check out Barnabus fund or Tear fund.
Both these Christian charities work with local represenatives in local comunities to releave poverty among some of the poorist people.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟293,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm. My strategy is a little different to that.

I have heard good things about microlenders, don't have specific ones to recommend but I know they can make a big difference. Go for it :)

Reactions: Strivax
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My favorite charity organization is one that you've probably never heard of: Operation BBQ Relief (Operation BBQ Relief - Healing power of BBQ in times of need). I do a lot of barbequing so I like their mission. They go wherever there are natural disasters and provide hot bbq meals for everyone: victims of the disaster and those who care for them: relief organizations, first responders, etc. To date they have served over 10,000,000 meals! (That's 10 million, not a typo).

Upvote 0