New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Wanting to know...what does your family do for worship at home (I don't mean at Church, in between Church worship services throughout the week).

We are not terribly faithful at it, but we sometimes in the evening have a Bible story reading, sing a couple of songs and then all of us pray, beginning with the youngest and ending with the oldest (me). Usually about 30-45 minutes, max.

We used to do a Friday night (Sabbath eve) service, but since we don't eat gluten any more it's kinna put a damper on it (yes, that's an excuse, we could use substitutes.)

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry it took so long to find this, but I'm new.

We do a lot as a family to worship God at home. Every night after dinner we read from a Devotional. This year we're reading from a children's devotional book; either my 7-year-old daughter or I read the page: ask the title question, read the Bible verse, then read the write-up (My husband really doesn't like reading out loud and our 5-year-old can't read that well yet). Then we ALL discuss what was read. The girls have just as much input as us grownups.

We also say our bedtime prayers together every night. We either do the traditional "Now I lay me..." prayer, ending with thanking God for something specific or praying for a situation ("God, please heal my skinned knee." or "Help so-and-so as they have surgery."); the Lord's Prayer; or the 5-finger prayer, which includes a full, specific prayer list that the girls keep track of.

The girls received a challenge last weekend (actually, the entire church did) and they're really into it: spend 1 minute for each year you have with the Lord. The 7-year-old reads either from her VeggieTale Bible Stories book or her Children's Bible; I read to the 5-year-old from her Read and Share Bible (with discussion - I don't just read to her).

The biggest thing we do is just find God in every day circumstances, whether during normal conversation or something happening.

I know this sounds a lot for a 5- and 7-year-old, but they truly enjoy it. They both already have such a heart for their Lord, and sometimes THEY remind US when something needs to be done! With the challenge, my 7-year-old actually asked if she could do 7 minutes in the morning and 7 minutes in the afternoon. They have actually encouraged my husband and me in OUR walk!

Upvote 0

hope10

Oct 6, 2010
✟15,241.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Sorry it took so long to find this, but I'm new.

We do a lot as a family to worship God at home. Every night after dinner we read from a Devotional. This year we're reading from a children's devotional book; either my 7-year-old daughter or I read the page: ask the title question, read the Bible verse, then read the write-up (My husband really doesn't like reading out loud and our 5-year-old can't read that well yet). Then we ALL discuss what was read. The girls have just as much input as us grownups.

We also say our bedtime prayers together every night. We either do the traditional "Now I lay me..." prayer, ending with thanking God for something specific or praying for a situation ("God, please heal my skinned knee." or "Help so-and-so as they have surgery."); the Lord's Prayer; or the 5-finger prayer, which includes a full, specific prayer list that the girls keep track of.

The girls received a challenge last weekend (actually, the entire church did) and they're really into it: spend 1 minute for each year you have with the Lord. The 7-year-old reads either from her VeggieTale Bible Stories book or her Children's Bible; I read to the 5-year-old from her Read and Share Bible (with discussion - I don't just read to her).

The biggest thing we do is just find God in every day circumstances, whether during normal conversation or something happening.

I know this sounds a lot for a 5- and 7-year-old, but they truly enjoy it. They both already have such a heart for their Lord, and sometimes THEY remind US when something needs to be done! With the challenge, my 7-year-old actually asked if she could do 7 minutes in the morning and 7 minutes in the afternoon. They have actually encouraged my husband and me in OUR walk!

I like the children devotion book idea, did you get it from the christian book store.

Upvote 0

hope10

Oct 6, 2010
✟15,241.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, we started devotion after homework, dinner, and shower before bed for a while; However, we have a six year old, 2 & 1 year olds. The toddlers can only sit for 2 secs. we take any open window such as in the car on the way to school, we pray and listen to vegetale praise & worship songs or 91.9 and sing along.

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like the children devotion book idea, did you get it from the christian book store.

Unfortunately, the one we are using now was given to us from a friend and bought second-hand...but I'm sure that any good Christian bookstore would have something...and if not, you could order.

Upvote 0

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
We read to our 3 year old and then pray with him directly before he goes to bed.
Once our daughter is old enough to be brought into this properly then we will read the bible after dinner and then pray with them before going to bed.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟809,746.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Something I read a few months really impressed me. Some Jewish families gather together and asks Yahweh for blessings and bless their children individually when leaving home for the day. When our kids were young, we were usually in a very crazy rush to get out the door. Just wish we had started our day and our children's day focusing on Yahweh.

Upvote 0