Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Salvation is a spiritual rebirth not a place of intellectual ascension. We are not born from above because of our good theology about Christ. We are reborn by the power of God.

Doctrine and theology are our attempts to explain this spiritual mystery.

If God speaks to any lost man and draws them to himself it will be through Christ Jesus. He is the way and there is no other. (period). But, to the man who grew up a Buddhist is it not possible that Christ might be revealed along the path he is walking?

Were we not walking a path leading to destruction when he intercepted us?

Yes, there is no other name under heaven from which mean can be saved, but, what then is that name? Is it “Jesus”. Well yes it is, to us anyway but if two thousand years ago you said “Jesus” no one would have known who you were talking about.

(His own mother didn’t call Him Jesus)

Jesus is the name given to Him by men translating the scripture. The power therefore is not in the name, the power is in the person no matter what you call him. Many who know the name do not know the man. Is it possible that some might know the man who don’t know the name?

John O.

Upvote 0

JAS4Yeshua

Servant of the Lord
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Marina, California
Visit site
✟64,964.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Nobody1

Jun 5, 2009
✟499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua.com says:
The Bible was not written in English. What we read in English today are translations from other languages. The "New Testament" was written in Greek. Hence, the name "Jesus" is found nowhere in the Scriptures—it is a translation of the Greek name "Iesous" (pronounced "[ee]yeh-sooce"). "Iesous" came over into the Latin "Jesu" (pronounced "yehsoo") and finally into English as "Jesus." So in the most technical sense, saying "Jesus" is saying a twice-removed translation of the name we find in the "New Testament" Scriptures.
When we move backwards, we also find that "Iesous" is itself a translation of another name. According to Matthew 1:21, we find the meaning of the name that is translated "Jesus" in English. It says, "he will save his people from their sins." In the Hebrew, the name "Yehoshua" (translated "Joshua" in English) means "the Lord (Adonai) saves". Also in Hebrew, the word for "salvation" is "yeshuah'". Finally, we also find a contraction of "Yehoshua" in the Hebrew Scriptures in the form of "Yeshua," which means, "he will save" (just like in Matthew 1:21). We find this name in the Chronicles as well as Ezra and Nehemiah, usually translated in English "Jeshua".
So, here is the evolution of the name Yeshua:
Yeshua » Iesous » Jesu » Jesus
(Hebrew)(Greek)(Latin)(English)

What is important about names is *their meaning*.

The eskimos have fifty words for "snow". But, snow is still snow.

A name does not change a thing.

Joshua == Yeshua == Jesus.

Whatever people want to use, personally, I am fine with. What matters is that the Name means, "God Saves".

Upvote 0

bushinoki

Servant of the Most High
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
the ultimate evidence for Jesus being just as valid a name transliteration as any- Michael
Just off the top of my head
Hebrew- Michael (Mi CHA el)
English- Michael (My cal)
Russian- Mikhail (Mik HAIL)
Spanish- Miguel (Me GEL)
French- Michele (Mi SHEL)

There are a few more variants I've run across, just don't remember them.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

Yeshua.com says:
The Bible was not written in English. What we read in English today are translations from other languages. The "New Testament" was written in Greek. Hence, the name "Jesus" is found nowhere in the Scriptures—it is a translation of the Greek name "Iesous" (pronounced "[ee]yeh-sooce"). "Iesous" came over into the Latin "Jesu" (pronounced "yehsoo") and finally into English as "Jesus." So in the most technical sense, saying "Jesus" is saying a twice-removed translation of the name we find in the "New Testament" Scriptures.
When we move backwards, we also find that "Iesous" is itself a translation of another name. According to Matthew 1:21, we find the meaning of the name that is translated "Jesus" in English. It says, "he will save his people from their sins." In the Hebrew, the name "Yehoshua" (translated "Joshua" in English) means "the Lord (Adonai) saves". Also in Hebrew, the word for "salvation" is "yeshuah'". Finally, we also find a contraction of "Yehoshua" in the Hebrew Scriptures in the form of "Yeshua," which means, "he will save" (just like in Matthew 1:21). We find this name in the Chronicles as well as Ezra and Nehemiah, usually translated in English "Jeshua".
So, here is the evolution of the name Yeshua:
Yeshua » Iesous » Jesu » Jesus
(Hebrew)(Greek)(Latin)(English)

People get hung up on names. But, it is what the Name means that matters. They especially do this with religious names. I find it highly ironic the sort of names people give God. Some call Him "Jehovah" or "Yahweh", others dare not say such a thing lest they be breaking some horrible rule that actually does not exist.

Some insist on calling Jesus "Yeshua" as if that makes them more approved then others.

But, on God's Name, the reason people should treat that with care is because God's Name in English is "I Am Who I Am", generally best pronounced as "The One Who Is" as in Second Person. Because it is a First Person name.

With Jesus, who is anyone kidding? Do you not translate words from other languages? Would you pretend any word you have today is the same even in your own language a thousand years ago, much less two? But the meanings are what is important.

This is why people can speak multiple languages. They can use multiple languages to say the same thing. But, should you go and speak to someone who does not understand the language? What value is that to them?

Look at the word "Moses". That is from the original. But, what does it mean. Or even "Jesus". What matters is what the name means. Elijah. Abraham. Not just the people but the actual meaning of the Name, because God is careful about Names.

Notice how their names relate to their actual characters in core ways.

As for God, however, Jesus - that is just one Name for God, the Son of God - one of many.

It is important for Christians to know the name is equivalent to Joshua, so they might see how Joshua son of nun is speaking of Jesus and Joshua the High Priest of the Second Temple.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yes it was written in Greek, not any other language, the evidence is overwhelming. Unless you or anyone else can produce a 1st century manuscript that is written in Hebrew or Aramaic, you don't have a case otherwise.

Most folks like to produce opinions to somehow foster their own views in people, and that was all that quote was tryign to do that was included in the OP's threadstarter post.

there is good linguistic evidence that some of the gospels, matthew and mark were originally written in hebrew and the case has been well made recently for hebrew over aramaic, even by some of the prominent 'aramaic' corners.

as to the argument that it must have been written in greek; technically its a non-starter as we do not have any manuscripts which are first century at all.

We also have the church fathers (if you accept what they say) that the gospel of Matthew was originally penned in Hebrew and translated into greek as people were able.

the gospels are full of hebrew idioms (besides loan words from aramaic).

Steve

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟347,926.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Worse then not getting His name right is missing it as to who He is.

There appear to be many “Jesus’s” proclaimed in the world today that have little resemblance to the One outlined in scripture.

It makes you wonder :

What does it really mean to call upon the name of the Lord?

John O.
What does it mean to use the Lord's name in vain? It can't be swearing as a lot of peeps think. I think it's going under the name of Christ and not representing him in a glorifying way.

Calling on His name is calling on his power to act on one's behalf.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟972,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the Bible, they translate words and transliterate names. We're comfortable with this because most of our names are not taken from our own dictionaries. We are generally disconnected from the MEANINGS of our names until someone (like me) comes along and tells what a name means. We'll hear it, say that's interesting and go on our way, without giving it a further thought (myself included).

In the Biblical Hebrew & Greek cultures (and many others for that matter), they didn't use baby name books; they took their names right out of their own dictionaries!

The following is a loose translation if the the Bible translated names instead of transliterating them.

When Princess laughed at the notion of being pregnant in her old age, God told her her son would be named Laugh-er...

When Captivating was giving birth, her first son to emerge was covered in red hair. They named him Hairy (his nickname was Red). Behind him, his brother's hand emerged first, gripping his heel. They named him Underhanded...

You shall name him Savior because he will save the people from their sins...

OR...

You shall name him Ransom because he will ransom the people from their sins...

In those societies, you couldn't hide from the meanings or implications of your name because you were reminded of them every time you were addressed, greeted or called for dinner...!

Since our own names are linguistically exotic, it would be very difficult to read such a translation where the only way you could distinguish proper names was by capitalization. That is probably why Bible translators went with name transliteration, after all. But name translation IS legitimate. It instantly reconnects the speaker & hearer of a name with its meaning (putting us name nerds out of business...).

One of my names for Jesus is Ransom. I liked it because you can use His name like a verb. I've been Ransomed! Try doing that with the transliterated "Jesus...!" "I've been Jesused!" just doesn't work for me...:doh: My slogan "Ransom Rules!" is a name translation version of Php. 2:10, 11 (More here...) But this isn't a law so much as a freedom. Using the American English transliteration Jesus is just as much a fulfillment of that Scripture as my version is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟11,391.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree.....

It also causes me to wonder about those who don't know the name because the've never heard it or read about Him.

The man who looks up at the heaven that declare His glory and says "I see you Lord displayed here, please save me"

Can such a man be saved like this?

John O.

Yes, if he repents from his sins, publically confesses them, says a specific "sinner's prayer", speaks in tongues, and is fully immersed in water (at least 3 seconds) and has the magician performing the baptism use the specific words "In JESUS name".

I had a guy argue with me ad nausem that if you didn't say the exact words "in Jesus' name"...it didn't count and you were lost.

Danny

Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟11,391.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? I didn't think the disciples spoke Greek, therefore it wouldn't have been written in Greek, but translated into Greek.

Sorry, now back to your regular program.

quote]

Besides, we all know that the Bible was written in ENGLISH by the King James Virgin. The Authorized Version 1611 is the only legitamate Bible.

Danny

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"It just strikes me how we treat His name like the ultimate “Magic” word and the word we use is not even our Lord’s name."

But the Lord's not "Confused" by any of that, and Jesus isn't the "universal" pronounciation world wide.

Of course IF we use the Name "Jesus" (or "Yashua-hamashia", or "Yaohushua" or any of the other plethora of creative variations) as a "Magic word" there's a LOT Bigger problem going on.

When We Say "In Jesus Name" we are Claiming to have the DELEGATED RIGHT to speak with HIS AUTHORITY.

Goes back to the Centurion: "I am a man UNDER Authority (Rome's), and as a result I HAVE Authority" (all the authority of Rome to back Him up).

I'm the chief engineer for a Manufacturing Company, and during working hours, I'm UNDER THE AUTHORITY of that company. And as a RESULT of that I HAVE authority - up to the extent of that company's power. And I KNOW what authority I have.

And so when I do business, it's NOT me that does it, but the Company who's authority (and bankroll) covers me.

Jesus agreed that this principle was sound and was the BASIS for a "Faith" that exceeded ANYTHING that He'd seen in Israel.

SO the important issue becomes -

Are WE (as professing Christians) operating UNDER JESUS' AUTHORITY, and do we KNOW that we have the Delegated authority to claim his power.

If NOT, why would we "Claim" to possess - what we don't really know that we possess.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟972,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But His name would be Joshua in English if it was translated Hebrew->English.
"Joshua" is, again, a transliteration, not a translation. ;)

...and welcome to CF. :wave:

Upvote 0