WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to belong to the LCMS which believes in much of the Bible literally…..900 year life spans, giants etc.is the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod considered Evangelical?
Hmm, I am not familiar with the LCMS, but I know that the church follows "Sola Scriptura", from checking the LCMS website.

This is what I pulled off of the website. The church also follows Sola Fide (faith alone) and Sola Gratia (grace alone).

1712516032616.png

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) is considered an Evangelical denomination. The term "Evangelical" (Merriam-Webster link) generally refers to Christian traditions that place a strong emphasis on the centrality of the Gospel message of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.

The LCMS, like other Evangelical churches, holds to the authority and inspiration of the Bible as the Word of God, but its approach to interpreting Scripture may differ from other Evangelical denominations on certain issues. For example, while the LCMS affirms a high view of biblical inerrancy and infallibility, some of its teachings on certain biblical passages (such as the literal interpretation of certain Old Testament stories) may be seen as unconventional by some Evangelical churches. However, this does not detract from its status as an Evangelical denomination.

It is important to note that there are variations in beliefs and practices within any religious tradition, including the LCMS, and it is always best to consult the official teachings of the denomination or speak with its members for a more accurate understanding.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, I am not familiar with the LCMS, but I know that the church follows "Sola Scriptura", from checking the LCMS website.

This is what I pulled off of the website. The church also follows Sola Fide (faith alone) and Sola Gratia (grace alone).

View attachment 345410

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) is considered an Evangelical denomination. The term "Evangelical" (Merriam-Webster link) generally refers to Christian traditions that place a strong emphasis on the centrality of the Gospel message of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.

The LCMS, like other Evangelical churches, holds to the authority and inspiration of the Bible as the Word of God, but its approach to interpreting Scripture may differ from other Evangelical denominations on certain issues. For example, while the LCMS affirms a high view of biblical inerrancy and infallibility, some of its teachings on certain biblical passages (such as the literal interpretation of certain Old Testament stories) may be seen as unconventional by some Evangelical churches. However, this does not detract from its status as an Evangelical denomination.

It is important to note that there are variations in beliefs and practices within any religious tradition, including the LCMS, and it is always best to consult the official teachings of the denomination or speak with its members for a more accurate understanding.
My two biggest problems with them was that they believe the universe is around 6000 years old, and don’t believe in the theory of Evolution, I returned to my Catholic roots. I did have some very interesting conversations with my then-pastor though.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My two biggest problems with them was that they believe the universe is around 6000 years old, and don’t believe in the theory of Evolution, I returned to my Catholic roots. I did have some very interesting conversations with my then-pastor though.
There are Catholics who believe in the old universe, such as myself. There are also Lutherans who believe in the old universe. So, it might be best to stay in the Catholic church.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are Catholics who believe in the old universe, such as myself. There are also Lutherans who believe in the old universe. So, it might be best to stay in the Catholic church.
Yes, I also missed receiving all the Sacraments at the RCC.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Amen to that. The RCC was also founded by Jesus himself.
I always felt something was missing from the LCMS when I went. They do have awesome music, though. I also don’t want to be part of an Evangelical church.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the thread.
Might be better placed in another location to get the responses you are looking for.
Geeks about Theistic Evolution and such hang around here. :) But of course you are welcome.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the thread.
Might be better placed in another location to get the responses you are looking for.
Geeks about Theistic Evolution and such hang around here. :) But of course you are welcome.
I didnt know where else to put it and I hang out here a lot anyway though I don’t participate in the threads much. Much of your conversations go over my head. LOL.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 345410

So the LCMS website identifies the LCMS as “Evangelical”? I can’t find that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didnt know where else to put it and I hang out here a lot anyway though I don’t participate in the threads much. Much of your conversations go over my head. LOL.
Like I said you are always welcome.
As far as your question, consider here?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Like I said you are always welcome.
As far as your question, consider here?
There isn’t much activity going on there. I used to post on that subforum when I was Lutheran but I asked the question anyway. People feel free to answer here, too.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So the LCMS website identifies the LCMS as “Evangelical”? I can’t find that.
The website itself does not explicitly identify the LCMS as "Evangelical", but can be somewhat inferred based upon the dictionary definition and the ideologies posted on the LCMS website.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The website itself does not explicitly identify the LCMS as "Evangelical", but can be somewhat inferred based upon the dictionary definition and the ideologies posted on the LCMS website.
Ok

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But hey, inferences can be wrong sometimes, and I am not Lutheran, so it is best to let others answer your original question, and not me. :)
I’ve got a book on hold at the library called “Exvangelicals: Loving, Living and Leaving the White Evangelical Church”, by Sarah McCammon.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve got a book on hold at the library called “Exvangelicals: Loving, Living and Leaving the White Evangelical Church”, by Sarah McCammon.
That sounds like a good idea for you. Hopefully the book works out for you. Libraries are a wonderful resource for studying up on anything, including faith.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like a good idea for you. Hopefully the book works out for you. Libraries are a wonderful resource for studying up on anything, including faith.
I LOVE the library!!!!! My husband put up bookshelves for me and then one day, after years of buying books and ignoring the library it occurred to me that I was spending an awful lot of money on books I‘ll read only once. Plus I had to clear out a bunch of books to make room for more books. It seemed kind of pointless when I have a good library not far from my house.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I LOVE the library!!!!! My husband put up bookshelves for me and then one day, after years of buying books and ignoring the library it occurred to me that I was spending an awful lot of money on books I‘ll read only once. Plus I had to clear out a bunch of books to make room for more books. It seemed kind of pointless when I have a good library not far from my house.
Agreed. My library is <50 meters (150 ft) away, and it has free DVD rentals, so I can watch any new movie released three to six months ago, as well as older movies. Plus, plenty of free audiobooks and paper books.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. My library is <50 meters (150 ft) away, and it has free DVD rentals, so I can watch any new movie released three to six months ago, as well as older movies. Plus, plenty of free audiobooks and paper books.
I’ve got a Kindle where I have borrowed library books from too, but I prefer real books. The Kindle is handy when it’s an older book I want to read that has seen better days.

• Agree
Upvote 0