London, Greater London
✟21,006.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I've found myself more exciting things to do.

So dumpster diving... I've been watching lots of youtube videos on it and there is so much amazing stuff you can find for free electrical goods, clothing and food and much more. In a way its very sad that so much is wasted. Many billions of pounds of good stuff is chucked away by stores and businesses all going to landfill when it could be given to people who need it or sold for charity. Its quite clear that companies, corporations could not care less about the environment. There is so much wrong with this and its happening all around the world.

Some businesses got wise to dumpster divers and put up locked gates and CCTV to stop people from saving stuff from the dumpster that is only going to end up in landfill.Prices on food has gone up its all horribly over priced which means more is going into the dumpsters because people can't afford it. Its actually quite disgusting. Its the same with electrical goods such as brand new laptops, tablets etc expensive branded stuff all going into the dumpsters that is unsold when they clear the shelf's for new stock.

I live in London UK so there aren't many areas that are accessible around shopping malls etc but there are plenty of other places to search.

Does anybody else like dumpster diving?

Last edited:

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I've found myself more exciting things to do.

So dumpster diving... I've been watching lots of youtube videos on it and there is so much amazing stuff you can find for free electrical goods, clothing and food and much more. In a way its very sad that so much is wasted. Many billions of pounds of good stuff is chucked away by stores and businesses all going to landfill when it could be given to people who need it or sold for charity. Its quite clear that companies, corporations could not care less about the environment. There is so much wrong with this and its happening all around the world.

Some businesses got wise to dumpster divers and put up locked gates and CCTV to stop people from saving stuff from the dumpster that is only going to end up in landfill.Prices on food has gone up its all horribly over priced which means more is going into the dumpsters because people can't afford it. Its actually quite disgusting. Its the same with electrical goods such as brand new laptops, tablets etc expensive branded stuff all going into the dumpsters that is unsold when they clear the shelf's for new stock.

I live in London UK so there aren't many areas that are accessible around shopping malls etc but there are plenty of other places to search.

Does anybody else like dumpster diving?
When I was young and poor, I used to work as a cook in a central Florida fast food restaurant, the closing shift. After the store door was locked, we were supposed to throw away all the cooked burgers, fries, etc. I ate as much as I could as I worked to scrub the grill. They locked the dumpster because of people illegally dumping their trash in other people’s dumpsters. I pedaled my bicycle along nearly empty streets and sidewalks about 1:30 AM. I stopped at a pizza restaurant dumpster. Sometimes there were a few slices of discarded pizza in boxes. In Colorado there was a supermarket dumpster that had blemished produce in it. I found a case of pickles with one broken jar in it. The other jars were sealed and fine. These days there are compactors on the supermarket dumpsters. In a Rocky Mtn. tourist town, I found a down sleeping bag in a thrift store dumpster. I praised God for the surplus I found. These days I don’t have to scavenge, shopped for bargains instead. God provides.

Upvote 0

anything1234

Sep 11, 2022
London, Greater London
✟21,006.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I went dumpster diving today. I checked behind the McDonalds very easy access and no signs up anywhere so I checked out there dumpsters and got a huge bag of chicken nuggets the crispy kind and they felt like they were still frozen and 3 days left until they expire so I took those the rest was just trash in the dumpsters.

I moved on to two stores Morrison's which is a UK grocery store and Argos which sells electrical goods, jewelry and toys. I found a new pair of sneakers in my size with nothing wrong with them apart from one sneaker missing its laces and a new in box smart watch. I'm charging it up right now so I wont know if its working until its charged. It turned on when I put the charger in to it so hopefully it should be good. I also found some kinda timer or speedo for a bicycle incomplete but turns on with the time displayed.

I'm looking forward to checking out more dumpsters. There was also a lot of toys and other bits but I didn't take those I'm only interested in the good stuff.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟301,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I don't explore dumpsters. Though I did find a television once in a shopping cart next to one. This was like many years ago. Was skateboarding behind a building when I spot it. Was in high school at the time and played my DreamCast on it.

Would only ever eat food from a dumpster if I were starving to death. Thankful haven't need to yet and hope I never will. Famine can effect anyone though :cry::cry: in this current world.

Upvote 0

Nettle

Aug 28, 2022
Private
✟21,844.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not exactly a dumpster but people discard unwanted items in the basement of my building. Sometimes it is broken, but I found a functioning and clean ironing board there just at the time I was needing one for large pieces of fabric.

My local supermarket sets aside items that are short dated. I don't have visibility of their dumpsters so I'm not sure how much they are able to sell at a much-discounted price before it is discarded.

For items that are "officially" past their use by date I wonder if the large companies would get into trouble for donating them even if they are still suitable and safe for consumption. Or even if they would get in trouble with the laptop manufacturer for donating an EOL laptop to an organisation. There is so much new stuff being produced all the time, it's overwhelming.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

anything1234

Sep 11, 2022
London, Greater London
✟21,006.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I don't explore dumpsters. Though I did find a television once in a shopping cart next to one. This was like many years ago. Was skateboarding behind a building when I spot it. Was in high school at the time and played my DreamCast on it.

Would only ever eat food from a dumpster if I were starving to death. Thankful haven't need to yet and hope I never will. Famine can effect anyone though :cry::cry: in this current world.
The food in the dumpsters is nice stuff. Its exactly the same food you'd pay money for. If I was rich I would still go dumpster diving because its a fun hobby and you'll never know what your going to find.

Upvote 0

anything1234

Sep 11, 2022
London, Greater London
✟21,006.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not exactly a dumpster but people discard unwanted items in the basement of my building. Sometimes it is broken, but I found a functioning and clean ironing board there just at the time I was needing one for large pieces of fabric.

My local supermarket sets aside items that are short dated. I don't have visibility of their dumpsters so I'm not sure how much they are able to sell at a much-discounted price before it is discarded.

For items that are "officially" past their use by date I wonder if the large companies would get into trouble for donating them even if they are still suitable and safe for consumption. Or even if they would get in trouble with the laptop manufacturer for donating an EOL laptop to an organisation. There is so much new stuff being produced all the time, it's overwhelming.
I guess the grocery stores do get concerned if people are taking from there dumpsters, its not like people are going to start ripping open the rotten bags of meat and eating it :sick: and if somebody gets ill it could be a law suit on there company but people aren't that stupid. They only grab sealed in date food and drinks candy and chocolate wash items, bars of soap. Sealed perfumes that would cost mega bucks in the stores. There is so much good stuff in the dumpsters. Some people make a career from it making thousands.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0