Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was wondering where "deadpanning" originated from, and if it's something used in other cultures outside of the United States.
medium_intro-1547580431.jpg

will_ferrell_everything_must_go_movie.jpg
hawkeyemash-main2.jpg

Last edited:

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟607,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say Monty Python is filled with deadpan, but I don't think it originated in the UK...

I'm curious if it's historically common within German culture, (I know @Nithavela's style is sort of verbally deadpanish at times, which I find hilarious ;)), but as far as Arabic, or Asian, or Russian, or African cultures, I'm not sure if it has ever existed there.

...I would like to know if it is universal. Perhaps it's a 'higher' form of communication? Perhaps it's new..? But if it's new, does everyone 'get it'..?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟607,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it's an art form?

...And I wonder if those who don't view it as an art form see it as a kind of unfamiliar "arrogance"..?

<EDIT> Something else that has just crossed my mind is that language in itself seems like a kind of art form... Perhaps "art" originated from the same part of the brain that our ability to use language comes from... Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Based on what I know, American humour is reliant on emotion and ham acting, while British humour is reliant on deadpan delivery. If I remember correctly, German humour is more cynical, though I have not watched any German comedy, only read about it.

The biggest drawback of dry humour (another way of saying deadpan humour) is people can think you're being serious after making a joke. There are people on the autism spectrum who have great senses of humour, but the delivery can greatly backfire on them because of this reality.[1][2]
  1. default - Stanford Children's Health
  2. The Flat Affect: What Is It?

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟860,641.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was wondering where "deadpanning" originated from, and if it's something used in other cultures outside of the United States.
View attachment 300418
View attachment 300419
View attachment 300420

I'm quite certain Christ deadpanned

Luke 14:12-14
Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟293,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of things people think he was deadpanning, he might have been deadseriousing.
But may personal favorite bit of Christ humor is after healing a fellow paralyzed on a mat John 5, he tells him to carry his mat around, knowing this will attract the Pharisee's attention on the Sabbath.

5 One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”
8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.
The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”
11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”
12 So they asked him, “Who is this fellow who told you to pick it up and walk?”
13 The man who was healed had no idea who it was, for Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there.
14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.”

I always felt like this was delivered with a bit of a wink toward the Pharisee definition of sin and their hypocritical attitude, the "something worse than being paralyzed on a mat" meaning "the Pharisees will come after you" ;)

I have no idea though, maybe the mat fellow got paralyzed 38 years ago when jumping out a bedroom window to avoid being caught in an adulterous affair so this was serious too. But I always enjoyed the first interpretation and it makes sense to me to see the humor in the character applied this way and directed towards the Pharisees. I'm pretty sure God invented humor, it would surprise me if his Son had none.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think a lot of things people think he was deadpanning, he might have been deadseriousing.
But may personal favorite bit of Christ humor is after healing a fellow paralyzed on a mat John 5, he tells him to carry his mat around, knowing this will attract the Pharisee's attention on the Sabbath.

5 One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”
8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.
The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”
11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”
12 So they asked him, “Who is this fellow who told you to pick it up and walk?”
13 The man who was healed had no idea who it was, for Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there.
14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.”

I always felt like this was delivered with a bit of a wink toward the Pharisee definition of sin and their hypocritical attitude, the "something worse than being paralyzed on a mat" meaning "the Pharisees will come after you" ;)

I have no idea though, maybe the mat fellow got paralyzed 38 years ago when jumping out a bedroom window to avoid being caught in an adulterous affair so this was serious too. But I always enjoyed the first interpretation and it makes sense to me to see the humor in the character applied this way and directed towards the Pharisees. I'm pretty sure God invented humor, it would surprise me if his Son had none.

Oh my goodness, I did not even consider this! It is one thing to put the Pharisees in a situation where they cannot deny reality, but to do so in such a way where the humour comes from their reaction...

18 Pride leads to destruction.
A proud attitude brings ruin.
~Proverbs 16:18 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Proverbs 16 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Proverbs 16 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Proverbs 16 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Proverbs 16 - International Children’s Bible

Very good catch! God bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0