Do anabaptists believe that salvation is a gift or a reward?

Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm still in the process of finding out more about the anabaptist faith, and am a bit confused with regard to salvation. Baptists would say that Christ's righteousness is imputed and therefore although sanctification always occurs with true faith, it is irrelevant to salvation. Anabaptists place emphasis on obedience, but to what extent do anabaptists view it as a part of salvation? Do anabaptists believe that salvation is a reward for obedience?

WayneinMaine

Dec 9, 2006
Maine
Visit site
✟11,244.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm still in the process of finding out more about the anabaptist faith, and am a bit confused with regard to salvation. Baptists would say that Christ's righteousness is imputed and therefore although sanctification always occurs with true faith, it is irrelevant to salvation. Anabaptists place emphasis on obedience, but to what extent do anabaptists view it as a part of salvation? Do anabaptists believe that salvation is a reward for obedience?

That's a very good question, and you framed it well.

So much of Protestant and Reformed Christianity is about "salvation", which actually is a topic Jesus discussed very little, and in a very different way than most Christians in Christendom view it.

Salvation to the early Anabaptists is being transformed from the propensity to sin to the willingness and strength to overcome sin. Salvation is also being redeemed through repentance - a changing of your mind, and making a new beginning. Salvation, as in going to heaven when you die (which really is the common Protestant understanding of the term) is, to Anabaptism, a consequence of repentance and discipleship, not a goal, or a "reward".

To the Anabaptist, the repentant follower of Jesus has already entered into God's kingdom, where he will continue to dwell even after he sheds his mortal body (which is the real reward of faithfulness).

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
That's a very good question, and you framed it well.

So much of Protestant and Reformed Christianity is about "salvation", which actually is a topic Jesus discussed very little, and in a very different way than most Christians in Christendom view it.

Salvation to the early Anabaptists is being transformed from the propensity to sin to the willingness and strength to overcome sin. Salvation is also being redeemed through repentance - a changing of your mind, and making a new beginning. Salvation, as in going to heaven when you die (which really is the common Protestant understanding of the term) is, to Anabaptism, a consequence of repentance and discipleship, not a goal, or a "reward".

To the Anabaptist, the repentant follower of Jesus has already entered into God's kingdom, where he will continue to dwell even after he sheds his mortal body (which is the real reward of faithfulness).

Thank you, that is very helpful!

I have a few other questions, if you don't mind, even though they're not exactly relevant to the OP:

1. This one's kind of silly, but I've noticed that a lot of anabaptists really like the NRSV, is there any particular reason why?

2. I don't understand why anabaptists are divided into multiple denominations, like the Mennonite Church USA, Church of the Brethren, etc. Why not just come together as the Anabaptists?

3. Do you reject penal substitution in its entirety?

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced

I have a few other questions, if you don't mind, even though they're not exactly relevant to the OP:

1. This one's kind of silly, but I've noticed that a lot of anabaptists really like the NRSV, is there any particular reason why?

2. I don't understand why anabaptists are divided into multiple denominations, like the Mennonite Church USA, Church of the Brethren, etc. Why not just come together as the Anabaptists?

3. Do you reject penal substitution in its entirety?

1. My pastor uses several different versions, primarily the NASB and NIV, although he preaches from the NIV, and most people in our church read the NIV.

2. The Mennonites followed Menno Simons, a converted Catholic priest. But in Europe, there were different types of Anabaptists, iirc, depending on where you lived. The term "Mennonite" was adopted by the Swiss Anabaptists.

3. Although I've never studied "penal substitution" I would think it is not rejected. Jesus died on the cross in my place. God will not pour out his wrath on me because I am covered by Jesus' righteousness....he paid my sin debt, so that I do not have to face God's wrath as a result.

Upvote 0

Bretherngirl94

John 6:14
Dec 2, 2013
USA
✟7,649.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I just wanted to comment on this one. I know in the more conservative Mennonite and Brethern churches we only use KJV. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
2. The Mennonites followed Menno Simons, a converted Catholic priest. But in Europe, there were different types of Anabaptists, iirc, depending on where you lived. The term "Mennonite" was adopted by the Swiss Anabaptists.

I know about the origins of each group, it just seems like some groups are so similar in belief that it doesn't make sense not to unify.

Upvote 0

WayneinMaine

Dec 9, 2006
Maine
Visit site
✟11,244.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Is the NRSV a really liberal translation?

Also, it's not just in churches near me that I've seen preference toward the NRSV.

Most English speaking Mennonite churches I know of consistently use the KJV.

You may have had little contact with the conservative and "Old Order" end of Anabaptist spectrum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WayneinMaine

Dec 9, 2006
Maine
Visit site
✟11,244.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I know about the origins of each group, it just seems like some groups are so similar in belief that it doesn't make sense not to unify.

It really depends on what particular collection of groups you are talking about. Hutterites, Old Order Amish and MCUSA Mennonites have such vast differences it would be impossible for them to unite as a single church body with one unifying set of doctrines, thought they can work well together. On the other hand some small Conservative Mennonite groups are so close in doctrine and practice it's hard to understand why it is they maintain organizational separation from one another.

Upvote 0

WayneinMaine

Dec 9, 2006
Maine
Visit site
✟11,244.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Wayne,

If I may ask you a question.

What group of Mennonite are you affiliated with?

Also do all Mennonite groups believe in any Calvinist teaching?

Moriah Ruth

My family attends the local BRF church of the Brethren. That's the only game in town in our locale in Maine.

Calvin was a latecomer to the Reformation, the basic beliefs of the Anabaptists preceded him (some would say by about 1600 years!). Many ethnic Mennonites have fallen under Calvin's and Luther's teachings, but that should be no surprise really.

God has no grandchildren.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
...sanctification always occurs with true faith...
I'd suggest to look up sanctification in the Bible and see.

it is irrelevant to salvation.
Ditto. See what The Creator Himself Says About This.

Anabaptists place emphasis on obedience, but to what extent do anabaptists view it as a part of salvation? Do anabaptists believe that salvation is a reward for obedience?
Does a football team owner "place emphasis" on the players DOING WHAT THEY ARE TOLD ?
If a player hurts their own team, and thus helps an opposing team, what happens then?

Re "reward".... See again what The Creator Says , His Word, about "reward" ... it is enlightening to find out , when possible/ when accomplished !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums