Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no issue with tattoos, as long as they're not inappropriate! My wife has one. I spent 8 years active duty military and never got a tat, not sure how that happened.
Actually it's not at all unusual - in fact, very widespread - for military wives to have it done; a military guy on another thread here was saying a while ago that other military wives urge his wife to get one (often the designs are in faith, patriotic or family themes).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All three of mine are personal reflections of my faith in Christ. I actually waited until I was thirty-eight before getting one. I'm glad I did because there is no telling what I might have gotten when I was younger.
Okay! and it wouldn't surprise me if you said Mrs Leboman's are faith based also.

There was a poster here a while ago which said that she and a friend were both quiet middle aged churchgoing women and they were both tattooed: seems like this demographic does it widely now, kind of like a benign, mainstream thing - often to express faith and family themes.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay! and it wouldn't surprise me if you said Mrs Leboman's are faith based also.

There was a poster here a while ago which said that she and a friend were both quiet middle aged churchgoing women and they were both tattooed: seems like this demographic does it widely now, kind of like a benign, mainstream thing - often to express faith and family themes.

Yep. Faith based. Had I started getting them in my late teens and early twenties that probably would not have been the case.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep. Faith based. Had I started getting them in my late teens and early twenties that probably would not have been the case.
So do you think you - and maybe your wife - are done getting inked yet?

(Sometimes the last one seems to get pushed back to the next one...)

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So... is anyone going to respond to my post or is everyone just going to ignore it?
I thought I did. I do not go to a Disciples of Christ church. I do go to a church that falls within the Restoration Movement though. The reason? Well, I'm almost forty-seven years old and I have been part of the group my entire life. While I don't agree with every little thing, the RM is the most consistent with my own beliefs.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So do you think you - and maybe your wife - are done getting inked yet?

(Sometimes the last one seems to get pushed back to the next one...)

We do want more but it wouldn't be financially responsible at the present moment.

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought I did. I do not go to a Disciples of Christ church. I do go to a church that falls within the Restoration Movement though. The reason? Well, I'm almost forty-seven years old and I have been part of the group my entire life. While I don't agree with every little thing, the RM is the most consistent with my own beliefs.

You did not, actually. This is what I posted:

Does anyone here go to a Disciples of Christ church? I only ever seen conversations about the acapella Church of Christ congregations. I've been wanting to visit a DOC church and I'm interested in hearing about why you go to one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My first response answered the question. I don't go to a Disciples of Christ church. I am familiar with them though.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's okay. What experiences did you have with them if any?

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

They are theologically conservative so they're mostly going to believe the traditional views of Bible teachings. Some are very socially conscious. Within the Restoration Movement they're considered the "liberal" group but that's just because the other two are so conservative. The only issue I have ever really struggled with when it came to the DOC was their willingness to ordain women pastors. I also admit that is less of an issue to me now but it always rubbed me a bit wrong.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We do want more but it wouldn't be financially responsible at the present moment.
Sounds like you guys both wish do have it done again as a long term thing, if not in the short term. It's also hard to figure really when the truly last tattoo will be, right?

Actually it doesn't surprise me that a preacher and his wife should be tattooed. Years ago ppl might have been surprised but not any more: so many Christians feel they need to do it.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like you guys both wish do have it done again as a long term thing, if not in the short term. It's also hard to figure really when the truly last tattoo will be, right?

Actually it doesn't surprise me that a preacher and his wife should be tattooed. Years ago ppl might have been surprised but not any more: so many Christians feel they need to do it.

I don't feel I need to do it. I just happen to like them. I have always liked them, even when I was a kid. I also understand why others don't care for them one bit. It's a personal thing.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't, but I do affiliate with the "middle" church of the Restoration Movement, i.e. The Christian Church. So, you have three to choose from, not two. ;)

Ultra-Conservative: Church of Christ (non-instrumental)
Evangelical: The Christian Church (instrumental)
Moderate/Liberal (leaning): The Disciples of Christ

Just what is your definition of Ultra-Conservative?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just what is your definition of Ultra-Conservative?

My definition? My definition of an ultra-conservative church is one in which there is an insistence that others believe EXACTLY as the Church of Christ does, or else those others will suffer major consequences spiritually. Obviously, the ultra-conservative label probably isn't going to apply to all Restorationist Churches of Christ in the United States. But, where I live, it is not uncommon.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟57,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My definition? My definition of an ultra-conservative church is one in which there is an insistence that others believe EXACTLY as the Church of Christ does, or else those others will suffer major consequences spiritually. Obviously, the ultra-conservative label probably isn't going to apply to all Restorationist Churches of Christ in the United States. But, where I live, it is not uncommon.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
So by that definition, Christianity is a ultra-conservative religion.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So by that definition, Christianity is a ultra-conservative religion.

Not really, since Christianity isn't quite monolithic in all its theological details, and there have been obvious disagreements about a great many theological issues during the entire historical spread of Christendom. So the specific doctrines one Christian group requires or doesn't require for a person to have "in place" in one's mind may be different from congregation to congregation, even if we all recognize that there is an assumed historical core of Trinitarian content common to the state of being "saved in Christ."

I have no problem in criticizing churches that think they are the "only ones" or the "best ones." :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Radicchio

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
San Clemente, CA
✟592,762.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I attended a Disciples of Christ Church (actually a joint Disciples of Christ / UCC congregation) in Southern California for a couple of years before returning to the Lutheran Church. The congregation and minister would be considered liberal. It was great fellowship and I enjoyed my time there, but the pastor retired and unfortunately some division followed, otherwise I would still be there. I am also a very close friends with a Disciples minister.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

SeekerOfChrist,

If you're looking for a church denomination that doesn't rely on 'hellfire and brimstone' teaching, and that offers some modest allowance as to how we each individually interpret the Bible for ourselves, then probably the 'Disciples of Christ' branch of the Restorationist type churches will be fine for you.

Personally, I prefer the conservative Christian Church/Church of Christ (instrumental)... but, that's me. :yawn: And I'll probably never be a part of the Church of Christ (non-instrumental) since they are sometimes too strict and doctrinaire in their interpretive capacities.

Although, honestly, I have had my share of bumping into occasional individuals within several of the Christian Church churches who thought they were somehow God's gift to humanity and presumed to tell everyone else how much they were 'missing the mark' of doctrinal purity and righteousness. Oh, whoopee, happy day! :confused: But, I suppose there's going to be individuals like that in any church you go to. (Not everyone has good mental health who walks in through the church doors and sits in a pew/chair.... .....:rolleyes:)

Best Wishes,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0