Quebec
✟15,319.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A few years ago I bought a Didache Bible for a Bible study I was in. That was the translation they usd. Since then it’s been sitting in a drawer unused. I got it out and started reading it. Is it a good Bible? It has the CCC in it, too.
i did a quick search about it in the internet;
The Didache Bible is a version of the Catholic Bible that includes commentary and notes based on the Didache, an ancient Christian document. The Didache, also known as "The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles," is one of the earliest known writings of the Christian church, likely composed in the late 1st or early 2nd century AD.
The Didache Bible aims to provide readers with insights into the early Christian teachings and practices as found in the Didache. It typically includes the complete text of the Bible, often using a recognized translation such as the New American Bible Revised Edition (NABRE) or the Revised Standard Version (RSV), along with commentary and notes that draw connections between the biblical text and the teachings of the Didache.
The commentary in the Didache Bible may cover a variety of topics, including theology, ethics, and liturgical practices, among others. It is intended to help readers deepen their understanding of the biblical text and its significance within the context of early Christianity.
Overall, the Didache Bible serves as a resource for Catholics and other Christians interested in exploring the connections between the Bible and the early traditions of the Christian faith as preserved in the Didache.

I did not know this existed it seems interesting, Thank you.

cheers

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,258,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am not familiar with Bible commentary, but if I have a question, I can ask you guys, or use the AI installed on the computer, and compare the AI's response to commentary by real people. So, what is the best Catholic Bible? For my posts here on CF, I use the ESV or NIV (not Catholic) as a lot of Protestants do not like Catholicism for some reason, though I do have an Catholic Bible in my place.
The NIV was highly respected 30 years ago, but I think that respect was misplaced. It was a semi-dynamic equivalence text, and that means that there are a lot of assumptions about meaning that the translators leak into the text. Many of those assumptions were anti-Catholic, but they also played in favor of some kinds of Protestants against others. The NIV was partisan even though it claimed to be non-partisan. I used it when it first came out but have long ago retired it.

While it is almost impossible to avoid all dynamic translation because languages are never one to one translatable, some are far more literal than others. The RSV is fairly literal. So is the ESV. In my opinion they are to be preferred. I recommend the ESV-CE, which is very slightly changed from the base ESV. Also the RSV-2CE, which has been very slightly changed from the base RSV but has also been tweaked for readability. The RSV-CE will also be OK.

As to other specifically Catholic Bibles I would avoid anything from the NAB family. And although the Jerusalem Bible is highly literate, it is a translation of a translation, having gone from the original languages to French and then to English. The RSV text is better actually, and under John Paul II and Benedict that was the English translation the Vatican used. Not the NAB.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,258,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don’t either except the second is revised edition.
The first was a noble but imperfect effort at a Catholic translation from the original languages instead of from Latin. It was the successor to the Confraternity Bible, which was the successor to the Challoner revision of the Douay-Rheims Bible. The second edition replaced some of the worst book translations but it also was a fully gender neutral text. In my opinion that shouldn't be done because the original languages WERE gendered and removing that does violence to the translation. The same process happened with the NIV revision. While I think men and women are equivalent in many things I don't want a translation deciding that for me by asseting that into the text.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I am not familiar with Bible commentary, but if I have a question, I can ask you guys, or use the AI installed on the computer, and compare the AI's response to commentary by real people. So, what is the best Catholic Bible? For my posts here on CF, I use the ESV or NIV (not Catholic) as a lot of Protestants do not like Catholicism for some reason, though I do have an Catholic Bible in my place.
I really like The New Jerusalem Bible.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟15,319.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
commentaries can be useful but I find they are most of the time biased toward particular denominations and doctrine, best to rely on text from a bible that is closest as possible to the original texts, i use NKJ Vor KJV, this i learned from reading a lot of books on the topic and I retained this as it was confirmed by many of the top books on the topic. for catholic bible that i have a papal edition in French translated by crampon, it is very comparable to the KJV, i may be wrong on this but in English the catholic most appropriate closest to original texts bible might be the Douay-Rheims.

in any case best to compare versions in parallel.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
commentaries can be useful but I find they are most of the time biased toward particular denominations and doctrine, best to rely on text from a bible that is closest as possible to the original texts, i use NKJ Vor KJV, this i learned from reading a lot of books on the topic and I retained this as it was confirmed by many of the top books on the topic. for catholic bible that i have a papal edition in French translated by crampon, it is very comparable to the KJV, i may be wrong on this but in English the catholic most appropriate closest to original texts bible might be the Douay-Rheims.

I agree, commentaries can be biased, so I typically use an AI to analyze the Bible verse, and makes sure it sits right with me.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,258,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
commentaries can be useful but I find they are most of the time biased toward particular denominations and doctrine, best to rely on text from a bible that is closest as possible to the original texts, i use NKJV or KJV, this i learned from reading a lot of books on the topic and I retained this as it was confirmed by many of the top books on the topic. for catholic bible that i have a papal edition in French translated by crampon, it is very comparable to the KJV, i may be wrong on this but in English the catholic most appropriate closest to original texts bible might be the Douay-Rheims.
The DR is venerable but suffers from the same things the KJV suffers from. Basically we no longer speak and write and think in that kind of English any more. So it misleads us. The DR was replaced by the Challoner and then the Confraternity before the US Catholic bishops authorized a translation direct from Greek and Hebrew. Most people who think they have a DR actually have a Challoner or a Confraternity in reality. The REAL DR would be so hard to read it would almost be like reading Shakespeare. Some of us can do it but we don't always get the meaning.
Indeed. We are dealing with translations and they aren't perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟15,319.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree, commentaries can be biased, so I typically use an AI to analyze the Bible verse, and makes sure it sits right with me.
Well see to chose the bible version that we think might be the best one according to our personal beliefs might not be the best option, in my opinion we must strive to have the closest version to the original texts, in my parralel version i always use greek (nt)or hebrew (ot) also. Sorry if i am a purist. As for using AI, i found it has strong bias, unfortunately chat gpt would not tell me what sources it uses, be careful with that.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well see to chose the bible version that we think might be the best one according to our personal beliefs might not be the best option, in my opinion we must strive to have the closest version to the original texts, in my parralel version i always use greek (nt)or hebrew (ot) also. Sorry if i am a purist. As for using AI, i found it has strong bias, unfortunately chat gpt would not tell me what sources it uses, be careful with that.
That is alright. I am not Greek or Hebrew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟15,319.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Upvote 0