✟97,154.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amos 9:

11 In that day I will restore the fallen tent of David. I will repair its gaps, restore its ruins, and rebuild it as in the days of old.
Deuteronomy 28:

10 Then all the peoples [including the Gentiles] of the earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will stand in awe of you.
At the Jerusalem Council, James spoke in Acts 15:

15And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written,
Prophets (plural) wrote about the following:

16“‘After this I will return, and I will rebuild the tent of David that has fallen; I will rebuild its ruins, and I will restore it,
The above resembles Amos 9:11, but it wasn't verbatim. Modern scholarship demands precise quotations, but not NT speakers or writers.

17 that the remnant of mankind may seek the Lord, and all the Gentiles who are called by my name, says the Lord, who makes these things 18known from of old.’
That resembles Deuteronomy 28:10. James claimed that they were written but it was more like as he remembered and summarized them. Still, it was pretty accurate. It was an acceptable way of free-style quoting of the OT. Luke did not fact-check it but faithfully wrote down what James said.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Amos 9:

Deuteronomy 28:

At the Jerusalem Council, James spoke in Acts 15:

Prophets (plural) wrote about the following:

The above resembles Amos 9:11, but it wasn't verbatim. Modern scholarship demands precise quotations, but not NT speakers or writers.

That resembles Deuteronomy 28:10. James claimed that they were written but it was more like as he remembered and summarized them. Still, it was pretty accurate. It was an acceptable way of free-style quoting of the OT. Luke did not fact-check it but faithfully wrote down what James said.
The old testament quoted by the Apostles was not the old Testament used by a lot of groups today. The Protestant old testament is based on the Masoretic Text. The Masoretic Text did not exist until nearly one thousand years after the time of the Apostles. In their time there were bodies of texts here and there that all varied slightly from one another. Nearly none of the old testament quotes found in the new testament of the KJV match the verses found in the old testament of the KJV.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟97,154.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Protestant old testament is based on the Masoretic Text.
Some translations also used, e.g., the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Nearly none of the old testament quotes found in the new testament of the KJV match the verses found in the old testament of the KJV.
Interesting. Any reference?

Upvote 0