Desperate manhunt for killer of 16 [ETA: 18] in Maine mass shooting as residents shelter in place

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟262,202.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So in other words you don't know and have just been jumping to conclusions like everyone else.

By the way I whole heartedly agree with you that the cops SHOULD have gone over there. Buy unlike you I have an understanding of the dynamics involved with the leftists coming after the cops like they have. The political outrage is real and police are being more cautious these days, not because THEY are afraid of being shot at but because they are concerned with the public outcry...
Oh, poor them.

Sorry sarge. I didn't go check on the guy because, well, you know what the leftist media is like.

If someone decided that they shouldn't investigate a lunatic with umpteen weapons because they were worried about what 'leftists' might say, then they don't deserve to be in the force. So do we picture you patting the guy on the back, saying 'well, at least you avoided some bad press.'

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
By the way I whole heartedly agree with you that the cops SHOULD have gone over there. Buy unlike you I have an understanding of the dynamics involved with the leftists coming after the cops like they have.

Oh? How did you come by this understanding?

The political outrage is real and police are being more cautious these days, not because THEY are afraid of being shot at but because they are concerned with the public outcry over their actions in a scenario like this. Being blamed for escalating the problem.
Who would be angry at cops for confiscating the guns of a crazy person? Not any lefties I know. Sounds like it’s conservatives who ought to reign in some of their political outrage.
Honestly, that's worst. If cops are afraid to investigate a situation because there might possibly be bad press, then how can we trust them to respond to a clear physical danger?
Seriously.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Maine Republican blames mass shooting on law expanding abortion access

Lemelin said he warned last year that there would be five consequences to passing LD 1619, which expanded abortion access. The first four, he said, were the storms “that wreaked havoc on Maine.” The fifth was the shooting in Lewiston, Maine.

“Meditate on this, Madam Speaker: When 1619 passed and went into law on October 25, you told God, ‘Life doesn’t matter,’” Lemelin said in his floor speech. “Keep in mind that the law came into effect on October 25. God heard you, and the horrible events on October 25 happened.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Sweeping gun legislation approved by Maine lawmakers after mass shooting

The Maine Legislature has approved sweeping gun safety legislation nearly six months after the deadliest shooting in state history

he Maine Legislature approved sweeping gun safety legislation including [strengthening the state’s yellow flag law,] background checks on private gun sales, waiting periods for gun purchases and criminalizing gun sales to prohibited people before adjourning Thursday morning, nearly six months after the deadliest shooting in state history.

However, there was no action on a proposal to institute a “red flag” law. [allowing family members to petition the court to remove guns, rather than police being in charge of the process as in the 'yellow flag' law.]

Police were warned by family members that the shooter was becoming delusional and had access to weapons. He was hospitalized for two weeks while training with his unit last summer. And his best friend, a fellow reservist, warned that the man was going “to snap and do a mass shooting.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟569,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Kittery Trading Post threatens to leave state [to neighboring New Hampshire] over new gun law

The Kittery Trading Post says the business would lose an estimated $400,000 in sales tax revenue and lose 40,000 customers annually under the new law.

40,000 Mainers need to shoot something or somebody instantly?

lol, I’m sure these numbers aren’t inflated at all.

Maine sales tax is 5.5%. $400k is 5.5% of $7.2 million.

They’re alleging that they’re doing so many gun sales that they’d lose $7.2m in revenue. If they’re open 365 days/yr, that’s $19,726/day. The median price of a gun on their website is about $760, so $19,726 equates to about 26 gun sales per day, or 2.6 per hour, they would supposedly lose because of this law.

Alternately, 40,000 people per year is 110 per day.

If they’re selling 26 guns per day that people can’t wait for, then they’re part of the problem. Or they’re just another small business owner telling fibs.

Upvote 0