'Deception': Christians war over worship day

T

TrustAndObey

DL, rise above brother. This isn't the place.

I'm going to derail RND's thread for two seconds and just say that most child psychologists agree that when a child is having a temper tantrum or saying something hateful...they are seeking attention. They don't care if it's negative or positive attention either.

Any psychologist worth his weight will tell you that the best course of action is to IGNORE (literally) that cry out for negative attention, and wait until the child is ready for positive attention.

Rise above.

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything under the Old Covenant has been made obsolete in Christ. The law on stone of the Old Covenant is a ministry of death and condemnation. Why is this? Because the law can never make anyone righteous before God and we know that righteousness is the main point of salvation.

In the New Covenant, Christ is our righteousness, which brings about a rest for the people of God. God is using the book of Hebrews to point this out. God brings us back to His rest on the seventh day of creation to help us understand the finished work we have in Christ. God is not pointing us back to the fourth commandment, but rather, He is pointing us back to the finished work of the seventh day.

Take a close and careful look at the context of Hebrews leading up to Hebrews 4 and notice how its all about the rest we have in Christ and the joy that this rest brings to us.

Hebrews 3:5-7 And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end. Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you will hear His voice,

Hebrews 3:12-19 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called "Today,'' lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, while it is said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.'' For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:1-4 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter My rest,'' although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works''

Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

There is no mention of the fourth commandment in the entire context, but rather, a command to exhort daily. We find God pointing to the seventh day of creation as He uses it as a picture of what we have in Christ. God has used the seventh day rest of creation many times and for different reasons throughout Scripture to give us a picture of whatever the context is when He uses the seventh day as a picture.

In Christ, everything of the Old is done away with.

Hebrews 8:13 God speaks of these new promise, of this new covenant, as taking the place of the old one; for the old one is out of date now and has been put aside forever.

The words of Jesus abiding in the hearts and minds of God's people will produce a character of love for God and love for neighbor. How this love is manifested is not seen in keeping Ten Commandments, thought many of the commandments will be fulfilled in our lives, but it's much more than that.

In Christ the literal day of the fourth commandment does not even come into play because it's done away with as is everything else of the Old Covenant.

Our focus as a New Covenant believer are the words of Christ. Our example for the New Covenant believer is the life of Christ.

Many people will say that Jesus kept the Sabbath. This is true as far as it was His custom to enter into the synagogs on the Sabbath. But what did He teach while in the synagogs? He taught things that were against the law of the Sabbath regulations to reveal the true meaning of the Sabbath as not a literal day but a life of obedience to God and a ceasing from our own religious works. He pointed to the heart of life, which is love for God and love for people.

Many of the things Jesus did on the Sabbath were totally against the religious rules of Sabbath keeping. These were not man made rules, but rather, they were rules that governed the Sabbath of the fourth commandment. It even got to the point where Jesus came right out and said He is working on the Sabbath and so isn't His Father. He even goes on to say that His Father has been working from the beginning. Why is this? Because the rest of the seventh day of creation was a rest from the six days of creation, not a rest from working in His creation.

What God wants us to understand is that what He has done through Christ is a finished work and has been a finished work as part of His plan as the Lamb who was slain from the foundation of the world.

Nothing in the Old Covenant matters when were in Christ. Jesus becomes our righteousness and our payment for sin, not the keeping of anything found in the Old Covenant. In understanding and believing this there is rest. This is why we are called not to forsake the gathering together. Why is this? Because there is freedom in Christ and where there is freedom we can tend to neglect gathering together.

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are speaking against Adventist beliefs, and being condescending in a non-debate area.

Please, stop.

I've been reading the same kind of posts here from other people on this thread.

Are you going to call the thread cops on me?:cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
My question is, how do you profess to be an SDA while at the same time you are so against keeping the seventh day holy? Something's wrong here...
Where did you get this from? Are you sure you are reading correctly? It is not wise to misrepresent another when the primary medium is the written form.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do Sunday keepers proclaim that "breaking bread" refers to communion? This just came up in another discussion I'm in actually.

Sunday keeping as though it was the Sabbath is to follow after the beast. In Christ there is no particular day to keep. I my church we gather on Wednesday night, Saturday night and Sunday. We also gather on Monday night at the prison. We try to exhort each other daily.

Upvote 0
T

tnp2140

It's only a debate when you oppose...

I'm only speaking truth, that's all.

Are you sure it's the Bible truth and not some other kind of 'truth'? The Word is very clear on the issue of the 10 commandments and grace. Yet some people still attempt to misinterpret scripture so they can justify living their lives in Sin and have the assurance of salvation. And let me tell you friend, the two don't mix.

It's impossible to hospitalize and heal a man when he refuses to believe he's sick...

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Sunday keeping as though it was the Sabbath is to follow after the beast. In Christ there is no particular day to keep. I my church we gather on Wednesday night, Saturday night and Sunday. We also gather on Monday night at the prison. We try to exhort each other daily.

Can you rest seven days a week? If so, how do you pay your bills?

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure it's the Bible truth and not some other kind of 'truth'? The Word is very clear on the issue of the 10 commandments and grace. Yet some people still attempt to misinterpret scripture so they can justify living their lives in Sin and have the assurance of salvation. And let me tell you friend, the two don't mix.

It's impossible to hospitalize and heal a man when he refuses to believe he's sick...

You can obey the Ten Commandments and still be lost. The Pharisees are a good example of this. The New Covenant standard is founded on the words of Christ, which are a much higher standard.

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you rest seven days a week? If so, how do you pay your bills?

Circumcision in the New Covenant is spiritual, in other words, it's an inward circumcision. In like manner the Sabbath is an inward rest from our works of trying to be accepatable to God. The law is spiritual in the New Covenant.

Upvote 0