Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I was going to the LCMS church nearby I had a lot of questions for my pastor, many of which weren’t answered to my satisfaction. One question was about creation. During a meeting with my then-pastor he turned the tables on me and asked what I believe happened. I said that I believed God caused the Big Bang and evolution occurred guided by God. I’m paraphrasing here, but that is my belief.

The LCMS reject evolution and they believe the same as what I’d heard on a video on Creation.com. They believe what the Bible says, literally. Man was created, fully formed, as was the Universe. They say there are only two possibilities……that God created everything fully formed like the Bible says, or there was a Big Bang and we and the Universe evolved without God, which they reject.

Why do so many people reject the third option…..that God caused the Big Bang and evolution did occur under God’s guidance? From conversations I’ve had with priests and things I’ve read on Catholic Answers, the third option is acceptable for a Catholic to believe. It is, isn’t it?
I will say in defense of the LCMS that they do accept microevolution, I think, just not macroevolution.

Last edited:

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟815,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe in evolution myself. Seems like we'd still be evolving if that were the case. But, with the big bang, God said "let there be light"--that could be how everything started, with a burst of light.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in evolution myself. Seems like we'd still be evolving if that were the case. But, with the big bang, God said "let there be light"--that could be how everything started, with a burst of light.
The part you posted about the Big Bang makes sense and I agree with.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,767,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was going to the LCMS church nearby I had a lot of questions for my pastor, many of which weren’t answered to my satisfaction. One question was about creation. During a meeting with my then-pastor he turned the tables on me and asked what I believe happened. I said that I believed God caused the Big Bang and evolution occurred guided by God. I’m paraphrasing here, but that is my belief.

The LCMS reject evolution and they believe the same as what I’d heard on a video on Creation.com. They believe what the Bible says, literally. Man was created, fully formed, as was the Universe. They say there are only two possibilities……that God created everything fully formed like the Bible says, or there was a Big Bang and we and the Universe evolved without God, which they reject.

Why do so many people reject the third option…..that God caused the Big Bang and evolution did occur under God’s guidance? From conversations I’ve had with priests and things I’ve read on Catholic Answers, the third option is acceptable for a Catholic to believe. It is, isn’t it?
I will say in defense of the LCMS that they do accept microevolution, I think, just not macroevolution.

People can believe what they want. That’s always been the case. The hows and when’s are up to us as far as Catholicism goes.

There is only this:

Catholicism holds that God initiated and continued the process of his creation, that Adam and Eve were real people, and that all humans, whether specially created or evolved, have and have always had specially created souls for each individual.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
People believe what they want. That’s always been the case. The hows and when’s are up to us as far as Catholicism goes.

There is only this:

Catholicism holds that God initiated and continued the process of his creation, that Adam and Eve were real people, and that all humans, whether specially created or evolved, have and have always had specially created souls for each individual.
You meant to say that people can believe what they want, right?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,767,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟162,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God created everything and used the creation story to convey a deeper meaning. Based on all evidence, evolution occurred.
The LCMSs rejection of evolution as well as their belief that the universe is only 6000 years old really, really bothered me. Now I’m worried about my husband. He started going to church there with me when I belonged and even bought himself a Bible. I told him that I’d still go with him to church occasionally, as well as Mass….two services in one weekend, I just can’t take Communion. But he’s only gone to church once or twice since I stopped attending the LCMS. He recently said that it’s not his church, that he was going there because I went there. And he has no desire to become Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The LCMSs rejection of evolution as well as their belief that the universe is only 6000 years old really, really bothered me. Now I’m worried about my husband. He started going to church there with me when I belonged and even bought himself a Bible. I told him that I’d still go with him to church occasionally, as well as Mass….two services in one weekend, I just can’t take Communion. But he’s only gone to church once or twice since I stopped attending the LCMS. He recently said that it’s not his church, that he was going there because I went there. And he has no desire to become Catholic.
Keeping you in prayer.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am one of those third-option believers. God created the universe billions of years ago, and eventually used evolution to bring about "earth man" from the beasts and then "spirit man" in the garden of Eden.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟299,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This short video on context of the Bible describes the issue quite well:

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟299,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a good opportunity to try new churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟374,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe in evolution myself. Seems like we'd still be evolving if that were the case.
Human populations are evolving. Some of them remarkably quickly. Individuals don't evolve though. Only populations do.

Upvote 0

olgamc

Mar 10, 2024
Huntsville
✟7,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do so many people reject the third option…..that God caused the Big Bang and evolution did occur under God’s guidance?

I hear you! I just had a debate with some creationist friends today. Again. LOL Personally, I think that evolution is a theory - it's not a fact, it's a theory. As a theory, it has the right to exist as a logical exercise of human intelligence, and it may or may not turn out to be law or fact. Facts do not change, but laws can change, as our understanding changes. But what I see is both groups of people making the same logically fallacy, which is taking a theory and claiming it as either fact (evolutionists) or non-fact (creationists).

My creationist friends argue that if the story of creation, which includes the fall, cannot be taken literally, than the story of redemption also cannot be taken literally. And therefore the story of creation must be taken literally. I agree with that, because Paul takes it literally in Romans 5:12 and 17 and reiterates it again in verses 18-19.

But there is a difference between reading the story literally and inferring things from it that it does not say. For example, it says that there was evening and morning, day 1. In other words, there was a change from a period of light to a period of darkness and then back to light, and God called that period of time day 1. Why do they infer that it was 24 hours? The sun was not created yet, so there was no rotation of earth around a source of light, so the 24 hour day had not yet been created. This is just one example out of many where I feel like hard-core creationists will add to what the Bible says and call it literal interpretation. It's not literal, we are adding our own bias to the Word, and then arguing about it.

Imo, these arguments are not productive and should be avoided 2 Timothy 2:23-26. Imo it is not important HOW God created the world, but THAT God created the world. The points that are important can be learned without an argument, e.g. that God created the world and that the world did not create itself. That man was created differently than animals - he was created to be like God. And even if God did use and guide evolution in some aspects of creation, it appears that for a man that was not the case, because it specifically says God formed the man out of the dust of the earth. We can all agree that sabbath was created as a time of rest and that God appointed the 7th day of the week as a blessing to us, without arguing over the days of creation being literal 24 hour days.

So what I say to my creationist friends is - who cares about 24 hour days and 6,000 years and whether evolution exists, it's not important. But for some reason it's important to them, and I really struggle to understand that. Why does it have to be creation vs evolution? Why can't God be in charge of all processes, including evolution? And why can't we accept that we don't know everything?

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟374,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So what I say to my creationist friends is - who cares about 24 hour days and 6,000 years and whether evolution exists, it's not important. But for some reason it's important to them, and I really struggle to understand that. Why does it have to be creation vs evolution? Why can't God be in charge of all processes, including evolution? And why can't we accept that we don't know everything?
Truth is, one's salvation doesn't depend at all on one's opinion of evolution. In fact, most creationists I have talked to, will admit that God is perfectly capable of creating living populations by evolution. They just don't think He did. Which won't put their souls in danger, unless they make an idol of creationism. And most don't.

Upvote 0

olgamc

Mar 10, 2024
Huntsville
✟7,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truth is, one's salvation doesn't depend at all on one's opinion of evolution. In fact, most creationists I have talked to, will admit that God is perfectly capable of creating living populations by evolution. They just don't think He did. Which won't put their souls in danger, unless they make an idol of creationism. And most don't.
But if they believe that our salvation doesn't depend on it, why do they make such a big deal?

Yes, that's the funny thing. They will willingly admit that God could have used evolution. And then they say "but He didn't". How do they know?

Upvote 0