Councils can err, councils have erred...

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Gavin does a fantastic job explaining and dismantling the Orthodox (and Catholic) use of images in worship.

00:00 - Introduction 01:59 - 1) What is Icon Veneration? 07:58 - What is at Stake? 12:34 - 2) Historical Overview 13:14 - Summary of Scholarship 18:50 - PHASE 1: Ante-Nicene Church 22:50 - Justin Martyr + Athenagoras 23:28 - Marcus Minucius Felix 24:42 - Origen vs. Celsus 25:47 - Clement of Alexandria 26:29 - Irenaeus 26:48 - Tertullian 27:56 - Lactantius 29:06 - Arnobius 30:39 - Synod of Elvira 31:37 - PHASE 2: Nicaea I to Nicaea II 33:32 - Epiphanius 35:43 - Eusebius 38:57 - Augustine 40:48 - Philoxenus of Mabbug 42:07 - Gregory the Great 46:09 - PHASE 3: Nicaea II and Beyond 47:57 - Empress Irene 48:32 - Council of Hieria 49:31 - The Pentarchy 50:26 - The Western Respone 56:19 - 3) Biblical Interpretation 58:18 - Latria vs. Dulia 1:02:21 - The Ark of the Covenant 1:07:18 - The Bronze Serpent 1:08:03 - Other Concerns 1:12:47 - Concluding Summary

A couple of posts I wrote years ago that might be helpful.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Last edited:

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow, this is the most articulate constructive criticism of the use of icons in public and private worship I had ever come across. I would be interested in a direct response from the Orthodox/Roman Catholic camp on this Forum. This gentlemen has presented the opposing view impartially, fairly and clearly with all humility and proper discernment, and does not shy to expose the abuse of quotations by our iconoclast fathers in the West. If there is any negative backlash from this video, it should be directed at the supposed flaws of the argument presented here.

Thank you JM, this was encouraging.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to see a citation for his claims about Mor Philoxenos of Mabbug. I don't have my copy of his Discourses yet (I ordered it a few years ago from a book seller in Australia, but it never came), but I do have both The Practical Christology of Philoxenos of Mabbug by David A. Michelson (OUP, 2015) and the volume on him published by the St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute as part of their correspondence course on Syrian Christian heritage, which was authored by the world's foremost living authority on Syriac Christianity, Dr. Sebastian Brock. I don't recall that quote anywhere in either of these works, and Michelson's book especially does not shy away from controversy concerning the saint, so I would think it would be in there if anywhere (from what I'm able to gather without having a copy, his Discourses are mainly of a monastic nature, and hence focus on asceticism rather than points of doctrinal controversy).

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'd like to see a citation for his claims about Mor Philoxenos of Mabbug. I don't have my copy of his Discourses yet (I ordered it a few years ago from a book seller in Australia, but it never came), but I do have both The Practical Christology of Philoxenos of Mabbug by David A. Michelson (OUP, 2015) and the volume on him published by the St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute as part of their correspondence course on Syrian Christian heritage, which was authored by the world's foremost living authority on Syriac Christianity, Dr. Sebastian Brock. I don't recall that quote anywhere in either of these works, and Michelson's book especially does not shy away from controversy concerning the saint, so I would think it would be in there if anywhere (from what I'm able to gather without having a copy, his Discourses are mainly of a monastic nature, and hence focus on asceticism rather than points of doctrinal controversy).
Keep in mind Gavin Ortlund is no slacker, he is a legit scholar and published author. For more information check out his video on the Orthodox Christian Theology channel with Craig. He is not to be taken lightly as some YouTuber with an axe to grind.

Yours,

j

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟165,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, this is the most articulate constructive criticism of the use of icons in public and private worship I had ever come across. I would be interested in a direct response from the Orthodox/Roman Catholic camp on this Forum.

This is the Reformed subforum, and all denominational subforums like this are bound by the rules that "if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology". I'm not sure how much of a direct response for something like this would be allowed in this specific subforum. If you want responses from those groups, you would do better to put it in a more open forum.

Additionally, the video is over an hour long. That's a fairly lengthy video to expect someone on a forum to give a detailed response to. Not to say it won't happen--just that it's a bit of an ask. If you're curious about responses, you'd probably be better off looking for responses on YouTube--I know others have given direct responses to some of Gavin Ortlund's other videos (and he has himself given responses to other peoples' videos). That said, video responses take time and this video literally went up today, so you'd probably have to wait a while for anything like that to happen.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Wow, this is the most articulate constructive criticism of the use of icons in public and private worship I had ever come across. I would be interested in a direct response from the Orthodox/Roman Catholic camp on this Forum. This gentlemen has presented the opposing view impartially, fairly and clearly with all humility and proper discernment, and does not shy to expose the abuse of quotations by our iconoclast fathers in the West. If there is any negative backlash from this video, it should be directed at the supposed flaws of the argument presented here.

Thank you JM, this was encouraging.
Dr. Jordan Cooper is excellent on this subject as well. He's Lutheran, formerly Reformed, and knows his stuff.

Aerial Toll Houses is another BIG red flag when it comes to Orthodoxy so-called. Orthodoxy in same ways is worse than Catholicism.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is the Reformed subforum, and all denominational subforums like this are bound by the rules that "if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology". I'm not sure how much of a direct response for something like this would be allowed in this specific subforum. If you want responses from those groups, you would do better to put it in a more open forum.

Additionally, the video is over an hour long. That's a fairly lengthy video to expect someone on a forum to give a detailed response to. Not to say it won't happen--just that it's a bit of an ask. If you're curious about responses, you'd probably be better off looking for responses on YouTube--I know others have given direct responses to some of Gavin Ortlund's other videos (and he has himself given responses to other peoples' videos). That said, video responses take time and this video literally went up today, so you'd probably have to wait a while for anything like that to happen.
A lot of what I've seen in response is nothing more than rhetoric. Not even worth the effort, Ortlund has done and continues to do a fantastic job tearing down idols.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I apologize for making you write this post.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I apologize for making you write this post.
Put your foot down, don't give ground, idols are not to be worshipped and trust me....they are even when Orthodox orthodoxy tells the people in the pew not to. When I faithfully attended St. Nektarios Orthodox Church I was told if I didn't accept icons I was going to hell, outside the church and would die in my sins lol, sure. Whatever. Those anathemas are real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Put your foot down, don't give ground, idols are not to be worshipped and trust me....they are even when Orthodox orthodoxy tells the people in the pew not to. When I faithfully attended St. Nektarios Orthodox Church I was told if I didn't accept icons I was going to hell, outside the church and would die in my sins lol, sure. Whatever. Those anathemas are real.
I am confused, brother, about the correlation of my quote and your comment.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I am confused, brother, about the correlation of my quote and your comment.
Don't say sorry when confronting false teaching. That's all.

You may enjoy this thread for eschatology: lhttps://www.christianforums.com/threads/post-millennialism-safe-house.8176936/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't say sorry when confronting false teaching. That's all.

You may enjoy this thread for eschatology: lhttps://www.christianforums.com/threads/post-millennialism-safe-house.8176936/
I apologized for making a man explain the rules of this subforum and explaining where I could find such a discussion. It was entirely based on one or two sentences in my first post. It was a great way to evade the OP and turn the discussion aside to a long and unnecessary explanation, insulting the aim of this thread altogether.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟165,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wasting your time.
My time wasn't wasted. You asked about a rebuttal or response to the video from a Catholic and/or Orthodox, and I told you that you probably won't be finding one in this topic, but gave some suggestions on how to possibly find one. You asked and got a (hopefully useful) answer. That's not a waste of time.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Keep in mind Gavin Ortlund is no slacker, he is a legit scholar and published author. For more information check out his video on the Orthodox Christian Theology channel with Craig. He is not to be taken lightly as some YouTuber with an axe to grind.

Yours,

j

I didn't mean to imply that he was. Apologies if that's how my post read. I meant it quite literally and neutrally: I'd like to see his source on this, as I know the saint in question, but not the incident or quote he talks about in the video clip.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟626,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gavin does a fantastic job explaining and dismantling the Orthodox (and Catholic) use of images in worship.

00:00 - Introduction 01:59 - 1) What is Icon Veneration? 07:58 - What is at Stake? 12:34 - 2) Historical Overview 13:14 - Summary of Scholarship 18:50 - PHASE 1: Ante-Nicene Church 22:50 - Justin Martyr + Athenagoras 23:28 - Marcus Minucius Felix 24:42 - Origen vs. Celsus 25:47 - Clement of Alexandria 26:29 - Irenaeus 26:48 - Tertullian 27:56 - Lactantius 29:06 - Arnobius 30:39 - Synod of Elvira 31:37 - PHASE 2: Nicaea I to Nicaea II 33:32 - Epiphanius 35:43 - Eusebius 38:57 - Augustine 40:48 - Philoxenus of Mabbug 42:07 - Gregory the Great 46:09 - PHASE 3: Nicaea II and Beyond 47:57 - Empress Irene 48:32 - Council of Hieria 49:31 - The Pentarchy 50:26 - The Western Respone 56:19 - 3) Biblical Interpretation 58:18 - Latria vs. Dulia 1:02:21 - The Ark of the Covenant 1:07:18 - The Bronze Serpent 1:08:03 - Other Concerns 1:12:47 - Concluding Summary

A couple of posts I wrote years ago that might be helpful.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Very informative. Good teacher, easy to listen to.

Dr. Jordan Cooper is excellent on this subject as well. He's Lutheran, formerly Reformed, and knows his stuff.
I'm familiar with Cooper's videos. Like Ortlund he's quite brilliant while being down to earth and easy to follow.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0