• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Constant attack (draining!)

Tom 1982

Aug 14, 2022
Kent
✟7,966.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello all.
Just curious if anyone else has felt they’ve lived there entire life under attack? I think it’s probably a case that I’m just tired, but it’s wearing me down. I’m 39 years old and I’ve lived my life in what can only be described as a bubble of fear. I’m an engineer and I guess to most people I’m a typical male just getting on with life. But my mind never switched off. I have to fight for every bit of enjoyment, even the stuff I’m supposed to enjoy (party’s, occasions, birthdays and even days out) I just over think until I’m a stressed ball of anxiety. It’s definitely rubbed off onto my family. Always wonder what it is that I’m supposed to be learning from this or is it more a case that I’m under attack or overthinking it?

Regards
Tom

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all.
Just curious if anyone else has felt they’ve lived there entire life under attack? I think it’s probably a case that I’m just tired, but it’s wearing me down. I’m 39 years old and I’ve lived my life in what can only be described as a bubble of fear. I’m an engineer and I guess to most people I’m a typical male just getting on with life. But my mind never switched off. I have to fight for every bit of enjoyment, even the stuff I’m supposed to enjoy (party’s, occasions, birthdays and even days out) I just over think until I’m a stressed ball of anxiety. It’s definitely rubbed off onto my family. Always wonder what it is that I’m supposed to be learning from this or is it more a case that I’m under attack or overthinking it?

Regards
Tom
Based on the language you used about being under attack and having to fight, there may be an anger management issue. It is difficult to forgive people after they repent. It is difficult to refrain from retaliation when they don’t repent.

A prayer: “Not my will, but thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

Lord’s Prayer Rock
Bristol, VT
Why Is the Lord's Prayer Inscribed on a Rock in Bristol?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1982

Aug 14, 2022
Kent
✟7,966.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Based on the language you used about being under attack and having to fight, there may be an anger management issue. It is difficult to forgive people after they repent. It is difficult to refrain from retaliation when they don’t repent.

A prayer: “Not my will, but thy will be done. On earth as it is in heaven.”

Lord’s Prayer Rock
Bristol, VT
Why Is the Lord's Prayer Inscribed on a Rock in Bristol?

Thank you. Very interesting insight and something I’d not considered

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all.

Regards
Tom
You sound somewhat like me. I've suffered a severe anxiety disorder all my life. Things I seem to have learned.

1. God values weak people because they are more likely to cry out to Him for help.

2. He takes very good care of me. For example if I happen to be working for a very tough employer, He gives me extra strength. Lately I haven't felt much strength, but I currently work for an easy employer.

3. Medication is always an option. Personally I've never felt confident that God is pushing me in that direction, but perhaps it would have provided me with a more normal, happier life. Tough decision.

4. If the church were well revived, I think we'd all have more grace from God and thus suffer less.

Upvote 0

Tom 1982

Aug 14, 2022
Kent
✟7,966.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You care about things, that is why you are stressed out. You need to make time to go out into the woods or fields and just think about nothing but God and how great His is, and relax.
I’d love to say this is exactly what I need, but I’m struggling badly at the moment, I want to praise God but my head comes back to praise for what? From a purely selfish perspective, my relationship is failing, my 4 year old daughter is diabetic, I’ve struggled my entire life with anxiety and that’ll never change and I’ve well and truly had enough. I’ve prayed and begged for guidance for years now and heard nothing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟148,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’d love to say this is exactly what I need, but I’m struggling badly at the moment, I want to praise God but my head comes back to praise for what? From a purely selfish perspective, my relationship is failing, my 4 year old daughter is diabetic, I’ve struggled my entire life with anxiety and that’ll never change and I’ve well and truly had enough. I’ve prayed and begged for guidance for years now and heard nothing.
Have you tried medication and counseling? I definitely understand how you feel. I've struggled with anxiety forever. Forever. I get where you're coming from.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you tried medication and counseling? I definitely understand how you feel. I've struggled with anxiety forever. Forever. I get where you're coming from.
Have you had any success with medications? If so, which ones? And how bad were the side effects?

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2022
San Diego
✟16,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tom, I am the same as you. This summer has been extremely difficult for me. I have been trying my hardest to be in the Lord's good graces, but I am extremely stressed. I feel that my eternity is hanging in the balance, and I'm scared. I've repented and done everything in my power to get right with the Lord, but I feel that I am hanging by a thread. I actually started taking medication. It certainly helps. It's not a cure-all, but it helps. I, too, have fervently prayed for peace, but it has been very hard to come by. Today, I got a little help from the Lord. I was mentally beating myself up about the fact that I don't have peace, and it must be proof that I'm not in God's will. Suddenly, the Lord hit me with several verses. First, he brougth to mind Isaiah 53:3, "He is a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief." The Lord then brought to mind, Matthew 8:20, where Jesus said, "“Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” Finally, the Lord brought to mind Jesus cry to God, "My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me." The Lord ministered to me that Jesus felt stress, loneliness, and abandonment, much like I'm feeling. It definitely helped. I'm not saying I get these verses sent ot me all the time, but he occasionally sends them my way, and I'm grateful. The bottom line is that you aren't less of a Christian because you fear or are stressed. One last verse that I want to share Psalm 34:18, "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Don't give up. Life is hard. The Christian life is even harder. However, Jesus is kind and cares about you. Also, he understands that you don't feel good. That's okay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 4, 2022
San Diego
✟16,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you had any success with medications? If so, which ones? And how bad were the side effects?

I'm using Lexapro, 20 mg a day. No side effects, other than feeling a little tired, but not something that would prevent me from driving. I struggled with whether it was the Christian thing to do, until my pastor (whom I deeply respect) said that the Lord gave people the knowledge to make such a drug, and that it was a good thing. My pastor then told me that he had been on medication!

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm using Lexapro, 20 mg a day. No side effects, other than feeling a little tired, but not something that would prevent me from driving. I struggled with whether it was the Christian thing to do, until my pastor (whom I deeply respect) said that the Lord gave people the knowledge to make such a drug, and that it was a good thing. My pastor then told me that he had been on medication!
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.

Upvote 0