Not open for further replies.

PowderedGold

Jul 18, 2007
✟7,692.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is Matthew 5:17-19. "Do not think that I have come to ablish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands, will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

I don't quite understand this. It seems pretty clear that he's telling us to obey the Laws of Moses, but that can't be right, because Jesus himself is constantly breaking those Laws and then explaining why it's acceptable to do so.

Someone please clarify for me.

C

ContentInHim

Hi Powdered Gold!

Jesus never broke the law of Moses (which was given to Moses by God). He broke the Pharisees' additions to the law. When God said do no work on the Sabbath, the Pharisees added that you could walk only so many steps, could not prepare food, could not do this or do that when all God said was "do no work". It might be a fine distinction, but distinction it is.

If Jesus had broken even one jot or tittle of the Mosaic law, he would not have qualified as the spotless sacrifice. Thus his death would have done us NO good. :)

Reactions: Codger
Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

But does that mean we can't work on Sunday or eat shrimp?
Well, I no longer eat shrimp! :D

I want to make it clear that we as believers should do as we are convicted by the Holy Spirit to do. What I do may not be right for you. What you do may not be right for me. We are all parts of one body. But the commandment says we should love the Lord our God with all our hearts, mind, strength! When we strive to live for him, we show our love for him. So, here's what I do .... your mileage may vary! :hug:

I don't mind working on Sunday because I observe the Sabbath which is Saturday. And yes, I don't work on Saturday, but rather study, meet with other believers to discuss scriptures and prepare lots and lots of really good food! :) I do not drive long distances (like 500 miles) or clean the house or buy or sell or do laundry or watch ordinary TV, but rather I try to spend the day thinking of Jesus and things of God! I don't always succeed but I try! :wave:

Before I observed the Sabbath, I did the same with Sunday - not working, shopping, etc, but with church fellowship and lots and lots of cooking! :D The conviction to honor God with one day a week devoted to him came to me slowly, but now it's a total blessing!

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

When Jesus said he did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it.... I believe he was speaking of the New Covenant.

In case you arent familliar with the differences between the old and new covenants....

I found a site, let me copy and paste....

This is from the site: http://www.gotquestions.org/new-covenant.html

Question: "What is the New Covenant?"

Answer:
The new covenant is spoken about first in the book of Jeremiah. The old covenant that God had established with His people required obedience to the Old Testament Mosaic law. Because the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), the law required that people performed rituals and sacrifices in order to please God and remain in His grace. The prophet Jeremiah predicted that there would be a time when God would make a new covenant with the nation of Israel.

"'The day will come,' says the Lord, 'when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah....But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,' says the Lord. 'I will put my law in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people" (Jeremiah 31:31,33). Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law of Moses (Matthew 5:17) and create a new covenant between God and His people. The old covenant was written in stone, but the new covenant is written on our hearts, made possible only by faith in Christ, who shed His own blood to atone for the sins of the world. Luke 22:20 says, "After supper, [Jesus] took another cup of wine and said, 'This wine is the token of God's new covenant to save you – an agreement sealed with the blood I will pour out for you.'"

Now that we are under the new covenant, we are not bound by the law. We are now given the opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift, not as a reward for any of our good works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Through the life-giving Holy Spirit who lives in all believers (Romans 8:9-11), we can now share in the inheritance of Christ and enjoy a permanent, unbroken relationship with God. Hebrews 9:15 declares, “For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance – now that He has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.”

Galatians is a good place to find more info. I will post again in a minute with some verses explaining more.

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

Ok, so after Jesus was ressurected and we were left with the new covenant, this was very difficult for some of those who had been faithful for years. They were used to tons of laws, rules, regulations, rituals, and in the new covenant, these things were no longer needed. But they felt they had to keep doing these things in order to be right with God. In Pauls letter to the Galatians he tries to explain these things to them.

See, the law, the 10 commandments in particular, were a guide. NO ONE has ever kept them. (Except Jesus, of course) The law shows us how awful we are and how unworthy. It shows us we can NEVER be as good as God would want. Never.

Jesus set us free from all the old testament laws. Since we could never be good enough, he did that for us. He lived the perfect life. He was the perfect sacrifice. Now, we no longer need to sacrifice animals, because Christ became the ultimate sacrifice.

What does that have to do with the old laws? Well, the new covenant is based on faith in Jesus Christ.

We used to be "slaves to the law," but Christ set us free.

Gal 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Gal 3:2-3 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

Gal 2:10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Here, he is saying that we can never live up to the laws. The new covenant is by faith, not works. We cannot earn our way to Heaven. Even if we were required to work our way to Heaven, we would never make it.

Gal 2:11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."

Gal 2:15-16 "We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' 16know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Gal 3:25
Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Now, as far as eating pork and shrimp, etc, we need not worry about what we eat.

1 Cor 10:25-26 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

vs 31 31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Rom 14 :1-8 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

Hope this helps some. I am not that good at explaining it, and its late, but I think the scriptures say it all. Might want to read through the whole book of Galatians. It explains alot more.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.