✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Christ is risen!

Today we celebrate Gregorian Easter, and in one week, Pascha for the Orthodox Christians* and some Byzantine Rite Catholics, notably the Ukrainian Greek Catholics and Russian Catholics.

Please post photos or videos of your Paschal services if available.

*(except for the Armenians outside of Jerusalem, the Indians and the Finnish Orthodox, who celebrate it today).

Reactions: PloverWing

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟975,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
278526362_5329330880432028_8350542566668992721_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟95,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christ is risen!

Today we celebrate Gregorian Easter, and in one week, Pascha for the Orthodox Christians* and some Byzantine Rite Catholics, notably the Ukrainian Greek Catholics and Russian Catholics.

Please post photos or videos of your Paschal services if available.

*(except for the Armenians outside of Jerusalem, the Indians and the Finnish Orthodox, who celebrate it today).

Voistinu voskrese (Indeed, He is risen)(I think I got that right; it's been a while since I said it in Old Slovanic). I hope that you and everyone on this forum have a wonderful Easter. I don't have any pictures but the church was packed and the parishioners were very kind and reverent. God is amazing!!!:amen:

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Voistinu voskrese (Indeed, He is risen)(I think I got that right; it's been a while since I said it in Old Slovanic). I hope that you and everyone on this forum have a wonderful Easter. I don't have any pictures but the church was packed and the parishioners were very kind and reverent. God is amazing!!!:amen:

You’re Ruthenian I take it, either Carpatho-Rusyn or Lemko? I love Prostopinije.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

That’s a lovely 20th century church (I am a fan of 20th century church architecture especially through the early 70s; I just don’t like Postmodern or Brutalist church architecture but there are many beautiful churches built in the mid to late 20th century (my favorites are the chapel at the USAF academy in Colorado by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, architects of the Sears Tower and many other skyscrapers, and the Greek Orthodox Church designed by Frank Lloyd Wright).

Might I ask the denomination?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh I can’t listen yet! But Glory to God! And blessed Feast to you!

Don’t worry, we’re doing you guys next week. In the interim the Palm Sunday thread is still up.

This year is inconvenient in that usually there is more of a gap between Julian Easter and Gregorian Easter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,279,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That’s a lovely 20th century church (I am a fan of 20th century church architecture especially through the early 70s; I just don’t like Postmodern or Brutalist church architecture but there are many beautiful churches built in the mid to late 20th century (my favorites are the chapel at the USAF academy in Colorado by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, architects of the Sears Tower and many other skyscrapers, and the Greek Orthodox Church designed by Frank Lloyd Wright).

Might I ask the denomination?
LCMS

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Those reredos are stunning. If you are comfortable sharing it, privately if you wish, I would love to add that parish to my list to visit.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Here is a real gem: Easter Mass at All Saints Margaret Street, which I would say along with St. Thomas 5th Ave. has the best liturgics of any high church Anglican parishes I am familiar with (I have not seen St. Magnus the Martyr; I would also note that Old North Church in Boston, of Paul Revere fame, is very good, as are St. Stephen Walbrook and St. Sepulchre in the Square Mile of London. Not counting cathedrals, which have a huge advantage, these parishes do the best job of any I have found streaming; I watched Old North Church on Palm Sunday and they were exquisite, and the streams from all are worth a watch. This service from All Saints Margaret Street however is particularly a must-watch because it has a sermon from no less a man than the Right Reverend Dr. Rowan Williams!

I greatly respect the former Metropolitan of all England and Archbishop of Canterbury as a great Anglican scholar, a friend of Eastern Orthodoxy, and a man of impeccable liturgical taste. His elegant litirgical service at the Royal Wedding in 2011 still delights me.

Edit: he was the homilist for the entire Paschal Triduum, so definitely consider watching their videos for Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

All Saints Margaret Street is also known for adapting Rachmaninoff’s All Night Vigils, of which our friend @Paidiske is a fan, as am I, and his Divine Liturgy, into English for use as Choral Evensong and Holy Communion, and they did a pretty decent job considering how much shorter the BCP services are and how different they are from the Byzantine Rite. So I would suggest that in solidarity with the suffering Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant Christians in Ukraine, Russia and Belarus, who are victims of a fratricidal war of aggression, that those of us on the Gregorian Calendar who have time consider recapitulating the Paschal Triduum this coming weekend, by watching both Slavonic Orthodox services in English (I suggest ROCOR, the OCA and the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, which are all celebrating next weekend and have English language services and all three of which are raising substantial funds for Ukrainian refugees) and familiar services, for example, this service (Anglicans are as one would expect also raising substantial funds for humanitarian aid for Ukraine).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is a real gem: Easter Mass at All Saints Margaret Street, which I would say along with St. Thomas 5th Ave. has the best liturgics of any high church Anglican parishes I am familiar with
I wondered what kind of service/mass this was.
I knew is was not Catholic.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I wondered what kind of service/mass this was.
I knew is was not Catholic.

In general if you see a beautiful Western liturgy that kind of looks like the Traditional Latin Mass/Tridentine Rite and variants thereof (like the Dominican Rite) but isn’t, it could be one of five things:
  1. An Anglo-Catholic (extremely High Church Anglican or Episcopalian) liturgy.
  2. An Evangelical Catholic (high church Lutheran) liturgy.
  3. A liturgy of the Roman Catholic Anglican Ordinariate, created by Pope Benedict XVI to attract dissatisfied traditionalist high church Anglicans, and which allows married clergy. Some Anglo-Papalists (Anglo-Catholics who want communion with Rome to be restored) had been pushing for this for years, and I would guess a majority of this surprisingly large group did join the Ordinariate.
  4. A liturgy of the Old Catholic churches, which fall into three groups, the traditional Union of Scranton (consisting of the Polish National Catholic Church and the smaller Norwegian Catholic Church), the extremely liberal Union of Utrecht (which briefly occupied the PNCC parish in Toronto, but I don’t believe they are there any more, or an independent Old Catholic church; these tend to be small and highly diverse and are often accused of being episcopi vagante jurisdictions, which is very often not the case (although such do exist; I am pretty sure I know of two of them).
  5. A Western Rite liturgy. Most of these are served by the Western Rite Vicarates of the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. These consist, like the Ordinariate, mainly of alienated Anglicans (who also account for a large chunk of converts to the Orthodox Churches as a whole, but there are also many Calvinist/Reformed and Evangelical converts). ROCOR and Antiochian Western Rite liturgies will invariably feature leavened bread due to the Canons of the Quinisext Council, which forbade the use of unleavened bread and which were rejected by the Roman church. In the past, the Romanian Orthodox Church had some involvement in this case, and in Sri Lanka there was a Western Rite Orthodox church connected to the Syriac Orthodox which I have heard is being revived; they may or may not use leavened bread in the Eucharist, since the Syriac, Coptic and Ethioipian Orthodox churches do, but the Armenian Orthodox use unleavened bread (which is also popular in Armenia in its own right, known as Lavash).
There are also the Liberal Catholic Church and the Metropolitan Community Church, but their services tend to look more like the Novus Ordo Missae, as do many Anglican liturgies in the Broad Church and Liberal tradition.

Prior to Traditione Custodes, the celebration of Novus Ordo masses ad orientem with traditional vestments and in Latin was known, and Pope Francis even celebrated one in the Sistine Chapel, however, I am not sure if these have been restricted by the new CDW regulations. I think one very traditional US diocese in the upper Midwest had mandated ad orientem worship and I expect they will stick with that format as long as they can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟95,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You’re Ruthenian I take it, either Carpatho-Rusyn or Lemko? I love Prostopinije.
Carpatho-Rusyn. I'm learning more and more each day about our people from that area. Hence, I had to ask a family member about Prostopinije. Yes, we had that style of singing in our Church growing up. He sent me the different forms of singing to listen to so I could recognize it. Thank you for inquiring about it. God bless you in every way :crosseo::amen:.

• Friendly
Upvote 0