Christians and business ethics

Quit your Job?

• Management was asking me to break the law so I quit.

• Management was breaking the law so I quit.

• Management was making unethical, yet legal, requests of me, so I quit.

• I still work for them despite management's unethical or illegal requests.

• I started looking for a new job at the point I realized management was making unethical/illegal requ

• I've been looking but can't find another job yet, so I can't afford to quit.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟23,406.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Snowhite said:
I quit my job because my manager was doing unethical/illegal stuff...took me 3 months to find another job.
At least you had a choice. Imagine being 'let go' for uncovering
the unethical/illegal behaviors of your upper management.

However your convictions are to be admired.

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I did... I worked at a mortgage bank and one of the guys in senior mgnt (who i was directly under) was signing the names of customers to application packages that had never visited our office... then asking me to process the paper work I'd just watched him sign. ugh...

...unfortunatly this is not the first time I'd seen it happen.. it has happened at other banks I worked at too.. but NEVER by mgnt at those places.. they didn't want to risk loosing their licence. I'm not in the field anymore..

C

Upvote 0
I have not had to quit my job or I have not been fired due to unethic issues.

This is a very hot topic in business today. In fact, I just recently attended a lecture concerning this very issue. The speaker stated that us, as Christians, should remember that when we make decisions, if they are unethical, that we have to answer to an authority much higher than that of any person here on Earth.

Full Throttle -- NASCAR News and Discussions

Upvote 0

CZzyzx41

Jun 26, 2004
right here
✟957.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great point. The closest thing I got to that was filing a formal complaint against my general manager due to the harassment myself and others had been subject to. Not just discipline, instruction, criticism, or complaint but out right public degrading, humiliation, and she actually told the head office one day that I had quit and would not allow me back into the store. I didn't have the energy to go through a court proceeding but I'm sure what she did was illegal. She'd have to have provided papers saying I quit (I had to do that at my next job) so I wonder what that could mean.

That's the absolute truth though. You have to answer in the end to someone much higher than any authority on earth so you shouldn't be afraid to stand up for what's right.

Upvote 0

AnonymousRex

Jan 17, 2004
Oakville, ON
✟128.00
Faith
Protestant
I remember working at a small health food market that specialized in selling organically-raised foods. At the time, I was a clerk in their meat department and during Thanksgiving, we ordered a specific number of turkeys in order to meet consumer demand (this order included turkeys pre-ordered by customers). That Thanksgiving, consumer demand exceeded supply, and since the owners didn't want to lose all of that potential revenue, they decided to send a couple of stock boys across the street to purchase a bunch of cheap turkeys, bring them back to the store, re-package them and sell them at a higher price under the more "prestigious" label. These turkeys were not even organic, either. During this time, the clerks were ordered to say nothing upon threat of dismissal. Unfortunately, I was too cowardly to stand up for what I knew was right, so I share in their guilt. It was shameful and I was wrong for not saying anything to the customers.

Thank God I don't work for them anymore.

AnonRex

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.