Not open for further replies.

Baca

Jun 22, 2014
✟7,611.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Currently, Islamic State (IS) has killed thousands of christians in Aleppo, Syria. Fewer than 100,000 of the 250,000 christians are left. Churches and monasteries have been blown up. Priests and bishops have been abducted, tortured, beheaded, and crucified. Others include: 147 students murdered in Kenya (Garissa University), 59 students murdered in Nigeria (Yobe State), and many more murdered by Muslims for being Christian.

The Pope's expected visit to Philadelphia has made me think about my faith. I hope he addresses Christian persecution. Are christians supposed to turn the other cheek, put down their sword (Peter), and be passive while christians are being persecuted?

Last edited:

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟24,382.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Currently, Islamic State (IS) has killed thousands of christians in Aleppo, Syria. Fewer than 100,000 of the 250,000 christians are left. Churches and monasteries have been blown up. Priests and bishops have been abducted, tortured, beheaded, and crucified. Others include: 147 students murdered in Kenya (Garissa University), 59 students murdered in Nigeria (Yobe State), and many more murdered by Muslims for being Christian.

The Pope's expected visit to Philadelphia has made me think about my faith. I hope he addresses Christian persecution. Are christians supposed to turn the other cheek, put down their sword (Peter), and be passive while christians are being persecuted?
Christians should leave those countries where they face physical assault and their lives are threatened. We stand fast in the face of persecution where we have no opportunity of escape and do not give up our faith.

But we should not deliberately go looking for trouble. It is up to individual governments to protect their citizens and foreign governments to use diplomacy to urge governments to do more. Also, assistance in governance can be used, eg law enforcement liason.

But government leaders should act as representatives of all faiths and none as civilian leaders and not as representatives of their religious faith. We should not engage in a religious war.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you want to debate and/or discuss this, bring me in :)

Other people can PM us with comments, and we can quote them in our debate and/or discussion.

From how you worded your questions, I would say my position could more or less challenge yours. My position would be more pacifist, but not passive. Yours seems more active to use violence and force. If we differ on this, bring me into a formal debate thread.

Rules and direction of topic would be with mutual agreement, or I defer to you since you started this debate. And we trust you to be honest and reasonable about this :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.