Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am interested in those who are compelled to be vegetarian through the word of the Lord or personal conviction feel about hunting animals for food and/or sport.

Its something that I don't necessarily advocate at all, but I have no real argument against it... I just feel deep down inside its not necessary and not right... Is it truly compassionate to (humanely) destroy a creature for simple leisure? And by leisure, this includes those killing for food when it isn't completely necessary.

I'm interested in what other people say... I am still open on the subject really...

Reactions: Xipilgrim

peacemaker101

Jan 29, 2007
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Indy,

I am a vegetarian and have been for 7 years. My main reason for being vegetarian is spiritual...though I learnt very early on NEVER to try and convince people that being a vegetarian is the right thing to do as Christians! haahaa....

My reason is based on our role as stewards of Gods creation. I do not have such an issue with the killing of animals but instead how we treat them in their lives eg.

-Thousands of chickens living in small wire cages, after having their beaks burnt off (standard practice for battery hens so that they don't peck each other to death in the cages)
-Feed lot cattle and pigs - live in huge sheds, in spaces in which they are unable to turn around in.

There is also environmental reasons associated with the eating of fish (over fishing of the oceans, which destroys ecosystems and creates further environmental problems) and also the resources that it takes to farm cattle is extremely intensive (20 veg's can eat from the resources it takes to feed one Meat eater) along with deforrestation, soil erroision and water pollution from run offs.

Now let me make it clear...yes Jesus ate meat, and If I lived in Jesus' time I probably would have too! Even 200 years ago I would have....but with todays intensive farming practices I don't think it is showing wise stewardship of the earth.
I have no problem with eating organic or free range meat, where you know that the animal has lived a reasonably good life, however I choose not to do this becuase I'm cheap (hehee) and I can't afford organic meat!

Upvote 0

nowsthetime

Mar 1, 2007
West Virginia University
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this is pretty much what i believe. haha, and about never trying to convince people that being vegetarian is the right thing to do as Christians... I believe that we should at least convey our ideas to people... with hopes of educating people enough so they can make a more enlightened decision on what they eat...

I started a thread in the philosophy and ethics forum... you can check that out if you want.

http://www.christianforums.com/t4949765-does-the-bible-suggest-modern-day-vegetarianism.html

it ended up getting off topic at the end..but it was good conversation

Upvote 0

The Valkyrie

Apr 13, 2010
✟7,694.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't particularly care for hunting or fishing, but compared to raising animals inhumanely for slaughter, I'd definitely rather someone hunt or fish. At least the animal got to live a natural life first. I view it as a lesser of two negatives.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I consider food to be necessary.
Food is certainly necessary, but the point is, if you are in an environment where you can have a perfectly nutritious diet without animal flesh, then eating animal flesh is a choice, not a necessity.

Upvote 0