Christian Mysticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting!
If I understand it, some of the eastern denominations trend toward mysticism.
I may be wrong.
I would frequent it just to learn. I am Charismatic and study the difference between Christan mysticism and western thoughts on charisma.
I am not sure where the wise ones would put the forum. Is it considered "unorthodox?"
Thank for suggesting the forum.

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be for it. If you include people like Fenelon, Madame Guyon, Brother Lawrence, Saint John of the Cross, in that. These people with the help of T. Austin Sparks and Watchman Nee who are not Mystics helped put a framework of what God was doing and bringing me through in my life years ago that I did not know existed, had a name, and certainly couldn't find in modern day church's. I am not Catholic, have never even attended a Catholic Mass, but these brothers and sisters, with a sprinkling of others of a Monastic bent, have helped me more in my walk than any others. I am so thankful the Holy Spirit led me to some of these dear brothers and sisters who resonate and provide a steady voice to me even today.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Probably 3 great writings that are good examples of Christian mysticism and spring from the 3 dominant traditions are: The Ladder of Divine Ascent, The Cloud of Unknowing, & Pilgrim’s Progress. I have only read a few pages of each & my attention span is decreasing with age so I can’t discuss these. Probably all could be read by any Christian although, I believe, Pilgrim’s Progress is distinctly Protestant.

Some info:

The Ladder of Divine Ascent - Wikipedia

The Cloud of Unknowing - Wikipedia

The Pilgrim's Progress - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
To discuss mysticism in the Christian/biblical context.
That doesn't really give me a clear picture.

How is this different from the Charismatic/Spirit Filled forum's focus?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I got a lot out of reading Pilgrim's Progress. It never occurred to me that it was something mystical, perhaps that possibility just went over my head.
Yeah, it's so mystical that it gets read in plain old secular english class.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟347,926.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would be for it. If you include people like .... , Madame Guyon, Brother Lawrence, ..., and ... T. Austin Sparks and Watchman Nee ... helped put a framework of what God was doing .
I've also found great help from all of these people thru the years! Some I didn't know of and others from the era of the inland China missionary times such as Jesse Penn Lewis, I could add. I love to hear discussions on their teachings.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got a lot out of reading Pilgrim's Progress. It never occurred to me that it was something mystical, perhaps that possibility just went over my head.

I don't think the name or what you call them is so important. They just seemed to understand better than most the journey into darkness to enter more light. The inner life through the cross so to speak that makes more room for Christ in us. They had a way for me of affirming and confirming all that the Lord was taking me through to get to Him! They spelled that out. The name Mystics I think is a stumbling block for some. But it shouldn't be. Because whatever you call them they new their Lord and were able to spell out so many of the things and ways the Lord uses to bring us to Him. They knew the journey in other words and have been good guides for me along the way. I thank God He put these dear saints in my life at the time He did!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟347,926.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mysticism, while the word is not too common, is alive and well in Evangelical Protestantism today.

The opposite of Mysticism would be Liturgical and Sacramental piety (though both of those have elements of Christian mysticism)
since most Evangelicals are not Liturgical or Sacramental, that leaves Mystical.

Not a comprehensive term of what mystery is about but the Presence of God is what most Protestants would refer to.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also useful

Though I don't know anything about his affiliated ministry I found his historical perspective on the Christian Mystic informative. 3 points I would Highlight I thought were significant.

(1) I liked his perspective of mysticism being more of an experimental Journey rather than a theological journey. My own thoughts on this are that though this really should be any Christian's Journey it is a peculiar trait of mysticism to lose oneself in order to find themselves again in God. Mystic really comes from the word mystery. The ways of God are a mystery. The mystic tells the story of being hurled into an enigma he or she doesn't even entirely understand in order for the Mystery of who God really is to be revealed. In other words as their own life becomes more of an enigma and a mystery to them, the reality of who God is becomes brighter. The darkness leads to light.

(2) His perspective that God raised up mystics at periods of history where man and his wisdom are going through a great transformation of flowering "enlightenment" and advances was intriguing to me. Is there any more flowering advanced time than the day in which we live? But alas man has his wisdom God has His. Perhaps this is why there is an interest in mysticism today? Perhaps we are in one of these periods described. I have always thought the mystic had his own peculiar prophetic voice of His day. The prophets role was never centered on predicting the future. It was always centered on the cross and calling the people back into a right cross centered relationship with God that emptied them of all the error, and worldliness and spiritual death they found themselves in. To me this is also at the heart of what the role of mysticism is.

(3) Finally, I am very glad he brought up the Desert Fathers and their role in Mysticism. For in the Post Christ AD and Early Church World this is where the roots of mysticism begin. So disturbed with the corruption of 4th century Rome, under the Christianization of the Roman Empire by Constantine, they like Christ went outside the Camp alone. They found it more disturbing when the world became a part of Christianity than when it was persecuting it. It was almost to the point with them where the whole thing had to go down into the ground and die again to be brought back up by God anew. It is where I find myself these days. I don't consider myself protestant or catholic or charismatic, or Lutheran or traditional or this or that or so on. I consider myself a brother like they that had to go outside the camp of it all to pray it be brought up anew. What matters most to me is do I hear the Spirit of the Lord in this person? That is what brings me into fellowship with someone. If I hear that it matters little to me what they are in name or anything else. So I think for a Forum like this to work, we would have to throw off who we are in name. Leave "Our Church's" at the door so to speak and meet each other in who we are in Christ. The Mystery of Who He is and our search thereof. IMHO

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟347,926.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Though I don't know anything about his affiliated ministry I found his historical perspective on the Christian Mystic informative. 3 points I would Highlight I thought were significant.

(1) I liked his perspective of mysticism being more of an experimental Journey rather than a theological journey. My own thoughts on this are that though this really should be any Christian's Journey it is a peculiar trait of mysticism to lose oneself in order to find themselves again in God. Mystic really comes from the word mystery. The ways of God are a mystery. The mystic tells the story of being hurled into an enigma he or she doesn't even entirely understand in order for the Mystery of who God really is to be revealed. In other words as their own life becomes more of an enigma and a mystery to them, the reality of who God is becomes brighter. The darkness leads to light.

(2) His perspective that God raised up mystics at periods of history where man and his wisdom are going through a great transformation of flowering "enlightenment" and advances was intriguing to me. Is there any more flowering advanced time than the day in which we live? But alas man has his wisdom God has His. Perhaps this is why there is an interest in mysticism today? Perhaps we are in one of these periods described. I have always thought the mystic had his own peculiar prophetic voice of His day. The prophets role was never centered on predicting the future. It was always centered on the cross and calling the people back into a right cross centered relationship with God that emptied them of all the error, and worldliness and spiritual death they found themselves in. To me this is also at the heart of what the role of mysticism is.

(3) Finally, I am very glad he brought up the Desert Fathers and their role in Mysticism. For in the Post Christ AD and Early Church World this is where the roots of mysticism begin. So disturbed with the corruption of 4th century Rome, under the Christianization of the Roman Empire by Constantine, they like Christ went outside the Camp alone. They found it more disturbing when the world became a part of Christianity than when it was persecuting it. It was almost to the point with them where the whole thing had to go down into the ground and die again to be brought back up by God anew. It is where I find myself these days. I don't consider myself protestant or catholic or charismatic, or Lutheran or traditional or this or that or so on. I consider myself a brother like they that had to go outside the camp of it all to pray it be brought up anew. What matters most to me is do I hear the Spirit of the Lord in this person? That is what brings me into fellowship with someone. If I hear that it matters little to me what they are in name or anything else. So I think for a Forum like this to work, we would have to throw off who we are in name. Leave "Our Church's" at the door so to speak and meet each other in who we are in Christ. The Mystery of Who He is and our search thereof. IMHO
Those are all interesting points of discussion for a new forum that moves away from the spirit-filled charismatic forum that some think to be enough.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.