US
✟1,119,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have been using antique gas cans, because I hate those no spill spouts.

I saw the Jerry cans at Harbor Freight; and when I did, I said "YES!" However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the 'no spill' spout and decided not to buy them.

However, after watching this video, I'm reevaluating that decision. As demonstrated, the 'no spill' spout seems to work rather well on this one. I still view them as unreliable concerning durability. Even if I don't buy the consumer version; this video has made me aware that the NATO version exists. I'll have to check out some military surplus stores to see If I can lay my hands on the NATO version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been using antique gas cans, because I hate those no spill spouts.

I saw the Jerry cans at Harbor Freight; and when I did, I said "YES!" However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the 'no spill' spout and decided not to buy them.

However, after watching this video, I'm reevaluating that decision. As demonstrated, the 'no spill' spout seems to work rather well on this one. I still view them as unreliable concerning durability. Even if I don't buy the consumer version; this video has made me aware that the NATO version exists. I'll have to check out some military surplus stores to see If I can lay my hands on the NATO version.

I have two empty red plastic gas cans for hurricane evacuation. As a hurricane approaches, gas stations run out of gas and put yellow caution tape around the pumps. I evacuated to a hotel in NC during Hurricane Irma. Hotels in Florida and Georgia were full. I bought two plastic gas cans in NC and filled them for my return trip. There was minor roof, carport and lanai damage in my community from tropical storm force winds. In ten years down here I evacuated once. They sell the gas cans at auto parts stores or Walmart.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have two empty red plastic gas cans for hurricane evacuation. As a hurricane approaches, gas stations run out of gas and put yellow caution tape around the pumps. I evacuated to a hotel in NC during Hurricane Irma. Hotels in Florida and Georgia were full. I bought two plastic gas cans in NC and filled them for my return trip. There was minor roof, carport and lanai damage in my community from tropical storm force winds. In ten years down here I evacuated once. They sell the gas cans at auto parts stores or Walmart.

Those plastic cans tend to deteriorate; and many of them have inferior 'no spill' spouts that render some of those cans practically useless. If you're going to store gasoline long term; I would strongly suggest adding a stabilizer to the gasoline.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I just found a really nice spout for the Waiven NATO can on Ebay.

upload_2022-4-6_13-29-2.png

I think that I know now what I must do.

Here is a video that describes the Wavian NATO can.:

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those plastic cans tend to deteriorate; and many of them have inferior 'no spill' spouts that render some of those cans practically useless. If you're going to store gasoline long term; I would strongly suggest adding a stabilizer to the gasoline.
I store the gas cans empty to reduce fire risk. Gas stations were emptied during the hurricane evacuation phase. This delayed the return of some as they found no way to refuel when trying to return home. I tried to keep my gas tank at least half full during hurricane season. The gas cans are for extra fuel, if I have to evacuate far from home. A hurricane might severely dent a vehicle. I thought it better to go away during a mandatory evacuation.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I store the gas cans empty to reduce fire risk. Gas stations were emptied during the hurricane evacuation phase. This delayed the return of some as they found no way to refuel when trying to return home. I tried to keep my gas tank at least half full during hurricane season. The gas cans are for extra fuel, if I have to evacuate far from home. A hurricane might severely dent a vehicle. I thought it better to go away during a mandatory evacuation.
When we lived in Beaufort SC we would flee the coast to one of our children's homes. Came home after one hurricane to find the huge pine tree in the front yard laying across our driveway. Tried to come in via the back way and broke my rear axil. Hurricanes are tough on cars!:help:
In everything give thanks!:clap:

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty good deal. I have thought about buying some gas for emergencies. It would take 4 cans to fill up my tank. Not much but it would get me a few hundred miles.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Pretty good deal. I have thought about buying some gas for emergencies. It would take 4 cans to fill up my tank. Not much but it would get me a few hundred miles.

I bought mine for diesel for my tractor. I have 10 gallons on reserve in plastic cans. I wish that I had taken these steps when diesel prices were down, because of Covid. I probably should have filled some 55 gallon drums. I'll wait for prices to drop some before I fill these cans.

I'll use the 5th can for gasoline, for my lawn tractor, chain saw, etc.

If you're going to store gasoline, make sure that you add a fuel stabilizer. It will help to keep it from breaking down. Even with the stabilizer, I would rotate it into my vehicle at least once a year.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I bought mine for diesel for my tractor. I have 10 gallons on reserve in plastic cans. I wish that I had taken these steps when diesel prices were down, because of Covid. I probably should have filled some 55 gallon drums. I'll wait for prices to drop some before I fill these cans.

I'll use the 5th can for gasoline, for my lawn tractor, chain saw, etc.

If you're going to store gasoline, make sure that you add a fuel stabilizer. It will help to keep it from breaking down. Even with the stabilizer, I would rotate it into my vehicle at least once a year.
Good advice. Thanks

Upvote 0