Bow when crossing the altar outside the rails?

pelargir

Jul 4, 2023
North Carolina
✟18,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were brought up as Baptists, but for various reasons began attending a Lutheran church (LCMS) earlier this year and have felt very much at home. (One of the reasons being our old Baptist church forgoing communion for an entire year and a half due to the rona.)

We're planning on becoming members in the fall. Coming from a low church background where service was a lot less formal, we're having to learn what behavior is considered to be "proper and in good order" during the service. I have a question about a specific situation that occurred recently.

During communion, the rail on our side was full so one of the helpers invited us to go to the rail on the other side from where we were sitting. This required us to cross in front of the altar (still outside the chancel of course) to take communion, and then cross back again to return to our seats. I couldn't help but wonder if we should have bowed when crossing in front of the altar. Is it proper to do so even when you're outside the chancel?

I realize we have freedom to bow or not, but what I'm specifically wondering is if not bowing may unintentionally cause offense to someone in attendance. Is there a general guideline for this type of situation? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: JM

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Good question and I'm new to Lutheranism as well so I'd like to know the answer. I'm struggle to find my way into the church but I digress. I bow. I cross myself. I do all of the small 'c' catholic things I can think up to stay focused during worship.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I am not currently LCMS, I have been involved in various Lutheran synods over time, including the LCMS. While it would be respectful to bow, I also don't think that many people would be offended or even notice if you do not. On the contrary, if the LCMS parish is more low-church in style then I could see certain parishioners thinking that bowing would be too "Catholic" (ironically most of the Catholic churches I have been to would not care or notice if you bowed or not).

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
While I am not currently LCMS, I have been involved in various Lutheran synods over time, including the LCMS. While it would be respectful to bow, I also don't think that many people would be offended or even notice if you do not. On the contrary, if the LCMS parish is more low-church in style then I could see certain parishioners thinking that bowing would be too "Catholic" (ironically most of the Catholic churches I have been to would not care or notice if you bowed or not).
I think I'm the only one, besides the Pastor, that makes the sign of the Cross but everyone in my parish kneels for confession and bows at the altar.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I'm the only one, besides the Pastor, that makes the sign of the Cross but everyone in my parish kneels for confession and bows at the altar.
That sounds about right, kneeling even seems to vary from one parish to another.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That sounds about right, kneeling even seems to vary from one parish to another.
Luther instructs us to make the sign of the cross when we pray and I found that freeing and very helpful. My Reformed traditions were strong so being told I could make the sign was a joy.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟577,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Somewhat off the original question but a related matter. I've been serving some congregations of the NALC and it doesn't seem like their pastors kneel for the general confession. I do because that's how I was trained as an Anglican priest. Anyhow, last week the parish I was at had dug out a kneeler for me.

Reactions: pelargir
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟813,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luther instructs us to make the sign of the cross when we pray and I found that freeing and very helpful. My Reformed traditions were strong so being told I could make the sign was a joy.
I did at the Catholic and Lutheran parishes I was a member at and I continue to do so at the Methodist church I attend now. In a previous Presbyterian church I attended they had no issues with people making the sign of the cross either.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0