Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thought i would add this section for bonsai growers, if you have any advice or photos of bonsai please post.
Hello sfp - do you do bonsai?
I have one which is probably around 25yrs old, a scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). Some years back I had a Prunus Nigra which was particularly striking when it was in blossom. Unfortunately one summer it got "dried out" and died out. :(
They aren't really a lot of work once established. I only trim/shape the top once/twice a year and the roots every other year. The main thing is to keep them from extremes of heat - cold - wind.

Feb 2017f.JPG

><>

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I've gotten very interested in these lately. I checked out a few books from the library.

So far I've mostly only done little plants that can be made to look "like" trees, but not true bonsai.

I have a bonsai ficus that BADLY needs trimming - right now it just looks like a thin small ficus with weirdly-shaped roots. I need to cut it almost entirely back (the branching parts that grow leaves) but I'm afraid I will kill it.

I thought I'd try one or two branches and see how it responds.

But right now the leaves and all have become full sized. I'm just not sure it can be made to look right.

Regular ficus benjamina, I think it's called.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Anastasia - Ficus b. can make good bonsai. It may take a couple of years to 'look right'. I wouldn't mess around with one or two branches. Decide what size/ shape you are aiming for and cut back with that in mind. As long as each branch/twig you leave/cut has at least one healthy leaf/bud on it it should be no problem with a ficus. You should at the same time trim back the roots and replant with 'poor' soil. Soak the roots in water and wash out most of the old soil so that you can give it an all round 'haircut'. Proper bonsai container can be a bit pricey but for appearance and best growing conditions they are to be recommended.
Good gardening
><>

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Anastasia - Ficus b. can make good bonsai. It may take a couple of years to 'look right'. I wouldn't mess around with one or two branches. Decide what size/ shape you are aiming for and cut back with that in mind. As long as each branch/twig you leave/cut has at least one healthy leaf/bud on it it should be no problem with a ficus. You should at the same time trim back the roots and replant with 'poor' soil. Soak the roots in water and wash out most of the old soil so that you can give it an all round 'haircut'. Proper bonsai container can be a bit pricey but for appearance and best growing conditions they are to be recommended.
Good gardening
><>
Thank you for the advice. :)

I would have messed it up, because I might have cut it back too far, hoping new growth could be managed. I'll ignore the big leaves then, and just go for overall shape? It still needs serious cutting back. It's shooting straight up, and the canopy it's aiming for will be all out of scale for the trunk.

In a little nervous about cutting roots, but I will do that. It's actually in a proper bonsai containter, at least. Very shallow.

I have a day or two more of working on my regular houseplants, grooming and repotting for spring, then I will let myself tackle the ficus.

Thank you so much for advising this total beginner!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟460,590.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry no photos..my brother once gave me a bonsai but sadly it died. I think you need to keep trimming them.

I've never really got into them as they require a lot of upkeep...much prefer a real size tree myself!

Same here. I tried to follow the instructions on the tag but it just wasn't thriving!

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟374,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That one is truly awesome. :)

I posted this on the photography board and someone suggested posting it here. Mrs. B. didn't train that tree, she just took a picture of it. It is a most impressive tree, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums