Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:clap:
To Josephus, and all the other mods:

Thank you so much for taking the "non-Catholic" bull by the horns. It was getting pretty gruesome out there.

I know I probably speak for all the other Catholics, in that we encourage honest questions, yes, even the ones which have been asked over and over! But when someone sets out bait, I get tired. VERY tired.

Thank you for making this a welcome area for ALL.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

I hope so too ZooMom. It is frustrating having to walk on eggshells and even twist my words from what I really believe out of fear of being degraded. Fact is I do not share most beliefs that Catholics do, but I am not of the Jack Chick or Bob Jones mold either. I am a Southern Baptist, but just because some SB's are racists and bigots does not make me one by default. I have appreciated people like you, Wolseley, and KC Catholic for being loving in disgareement. And to my other friends here, I say the same. God bless you all and take care! :)

Jeff

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by PrinceJeff
I hope so too ZooMom. It is frustrating having to walk on eggshells and even twist my words from what I really believe out of fear of being degraded.
Please don't ever do that. I refuse to, and so should you. You have always spoken with kindness and courtesy, but don't ever water down your beliefs because some people don't agree with you. Even if it's me. ;) :) I won't trample you for it.

Much.

:p :holy:

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Princejeff:

You have always been cordial and respectful of others. Any questions you've asked have been from a true desire to know. With that attitude, it's a pleasure to share an interfaith dialogue. For truly, we do have much more in common than differences.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
Having gone from Southern Baptist to Catholic to Southern Baptist (long story)- I too am not of the Jack Chick fold or Bob Jones.

There are several variations of the SBC The one I presently attend is very ecumenical - just one example - we meet with Methodist churches for Lenten services/meals during the week.

However, the other SBC in this area which we attended first was so conservative in their views that they did not support any churches/missions/missionaries that were not Baptist - as if they have a monopoly on the gospel. They also did not like music with a "beat" (Christian or no) which is all we listen to - DCTalk, Carmen, AudioAdrenline, Reliant K, Kathy Troccolli, Michael W. Smith etc etc

I almost lost it when they commented on the importance of sending a missionary couple from their church to an island to repair a Baptist church that did not withstand a tropical storm because all this island had were witch doctors and a Catholic church (that had somehow miraculously withstood the storm). :(

We left that church with no hard feelings. :holy: :clap:

What a joy to be a part of a church that is supporting my son who is going on a short-term summer missions trip to the island of Vanuatu (he is 14) with Teen Missions - they don't care what religion he is helping cause it is a Christian one - they are just happy to see him involved. Last summer he went to Hungary to help a Methodist orphan camp - the conservative church refused to even mention it in their prayer meetings!!! :(

:sleep: :confused: :sleep:

Anyway, the point is that we can't judge a religion by the actions of one person - but unfortunately all it takes is one to make the rest look bad :o :( :o

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To LilyLamb:

I've heard so many wonderful things about the Teen Missions. Aside from the fact the kids get actual work experience, they are exposed to truly disadvantaged lifestyles. I've heard that many kids return humbled by all the excesses of US life, and have a totally new outlook on what is important in their world.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
Yes, they do - it's a very positive experience - I have been both a teen on a team and a leader of teams. All of my children have been on teams (with the exception of my four year old) ;) I am a big supporter of TMI.

One thing I like about TMI is that we are not allowed to discuss doctrinal differences - AT ALL - there are so many different religions represented when teams come together and it shows a true spirit of Christian love when they all set aside their differences and work together as a team to help those less fortunate in the world. The one thing teens learn is that we all have One God, One Lord Jesus Christ and one goal - heaven ;)

The one team that affected my DD the most was the one in El Salvador where she worked with orphans who didn't even have shoes - they had Vacation Bible School and shared the love of Jesus with these precious children (while rebuilding the school and putting up a concrete block retaining wall for protection against a mud slide). One thing these teens end up doing on teams like that is leaving clothing behind.

Upvote 0
Being also a SB myself, I remember my pastor telling me once his differences with other denominations were "quite minor", and he says legalism kills. He is also not one of those KJV-Only idolaters either. Praise God! People tend to paint all Baptists with the same brush as being fundies, bigots, or whatever. But the church I attend is very loving and is willing to work together with other Christian churches in the community. The love of Christ supercedes any denominational line. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.