Bird box

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
My 16 year old sister has given me a beautiful bird box which she made at school for her Young Enterprise project. It is about 10" tall, 8" wide and deep, the hole is about 1" in diameter.

Where should I put it? I have a small South-facing front garden onto a street, and a big North-facing communal back garden.

And does anyone know whether I should put cotton wool in it for a nest, or nuts for birds to eat?

I hope someone knows!... The box is currently looking lovely on my stone windowledge, but not attracting any birds!

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,788,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mom has little bird houses all around her property. I don't think she attracts them with nesting materials or food, just puts it in a quiet place and the birds seen to understand what it's for.

You could just put it out and see what happens. Adding a few seeds probably wouldn't hurt either:)

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
Does it look anything like one of these?

Attachments

• Bluebird and Martin.jpg
    Bluebird and Martin.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
Great, if you have bluebirds in your area ( that is a bluebird house dispite the purple martin hanging out there :) ) you need to place it Not on a tree but on a post at least 8 feet high. This is to protect the babies, from raccoons, or snakes that will go up there and steal the eggs.

The poles I have them on are Septic sized PVC pipe that I have painted to resemble birch tree trunks, but any type of post high enough will do. The PVC is very inexpensive though. You will need to bury it about 2 feet so a regular sized 10 foot pipe will do. If your box is made like mine it has a door that can be opened for cleaning in the fall as well as carefully peeking in the summer at the babies. I have another picture somewhere Of daddy. I will look to see if I can find it.

Upvote 0