Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is anyone familiar with Kay Arthur's "How to Study Your Bible"? or the "Alpha Teach Yourself the Bible in 24 Hours" ?

I'm not familiar with "inductive" Bible study (Kay Arthur book) and I think I would need to spend more than 1 hour on each of the 24 lessons, but I'm wondering if both or either of these books are worth the time and expense.

I certainly want to study using accurate information since it's an area where I'm kinda on my own.

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm only able to go to church on Sunday mornings. It's expository teaching but you stay in one book for a while. For example I started going in July, 2003 and they were in the 6th chapter of Mark. We are now in the 7th chapter of Luke. So as much as I like that style, for my own personal study I'd like to cover more territory. But I'm pretty much left to myself when it comes to Bible study. It's more or less God, me and the internet. But I wound up with no direction. Just all over the place. So I thought a good Bible study guide would be helpful.

I don't have any Christian friends that are outside the internet. But I can't let that stop me from study. I'm just trying to find some kind of focus.

And thanks, I think I may go ahead and buy the Kay Arthur book myself.:)

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't have any friends at church? (This is not an admonishment.... just a question.)

For your case, it sounds like you're interested in a more topical study. IIRC, Kay Arthur's book is focused on book studies. I still think it's a good method though....

Perhaps you can check out your local Christian bookstore (assumint there is one in your area) and look for Bible study booklets. You can find these on a variety of subjects.

Hope this helps.....

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh I didn't take it that way. :)

Because of my husband's work schedule it's usually church Sunday morning and then rush out so he can be at work about a half hour after the service is over. We have a few things that add some difficulty to the things we can and can't do. Such is life I guess. Hasn't really left a lot of time. I hope it eventually works out. As it is I don't really feel like I'm a part of the church because we can only attend once a week. But I'd certainly be lost without it.

Thanks I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CeCe said:
Oh I didn't take it that way. :)
Just checking. People have been sensitive lately. :)

Because of my husband's work schedule it's usually church Sunday morning and then rush out so he can be at work about a half hour after the service is over. We have a few things that add some difficulty to the things we can and can't do. Such is life I guess. Hasn't really left a lot of time. I hope it eventually works out. As it is I don't really feel like I'm a part of the church because we can only attend once a week. But I'd certainly be lost without it.

Thanks I appreciate your help.
We only attend church once a week. We are involved in other things during the week. Bible studies and whatnot......
I think I see what's going on though. You're not there long enough for people to make contact. Right?

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
CeCe said:
Is anyone familiar with Kay Arthur's "How to Study Your Bible"? or the "Alpha Teach Yourself the Bible in 24 Hours" ?

One of the best books you can own (I admit, it's my opinion :D ) is How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth by Gordon Fee and someone else. It is a fabulous look on the why and how of Bible study.

Upvote 0

Spudgrandma

Grandma Blessed with 7
Mar 8, 2004
Idaho
✟56,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kay Arthur's "How to Study Your Bible"? is a very good tool for study. It is based on Inductive Bible Study. I have done several of her studies and they are wonderful (IMHO.)
IBIDMT
PS - Thank you for this great site, I am new and have not checked it all out, yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.