Visit site
✟132,843.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The title of this thread is, 'Australian & New Zealand'. Australian is an adjective and it is combined with the proper noun, New Zealand.

To be grammatically correct, the thread title should be 'Australia & New Zealand'.
The Collins Dictionary (online) provides this explanation:

1. adjective
Australian means belonging or relating to Australia, or to its people or culture.

She went solo backpacking for eight months in the Australian outback.
2. countable noun
An Australian is someone who comes from Australia (Collins Dictionary online 2018. s.v. Australian)

Therefore, the directory heading should be 'Australia & New Zealand'.

Oz

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The title of this thread is, 'Australian & New Zealand'. Australian is an adjective and it is combined with the proper noun, New Zealand.

To be grammatically correct, the thread title should be 'Australia & New Zealand'.

1. adjective
Australian means belonging or relating to Australia, or to its people or culture.

2. countable noun
An Australian is someone who comes from Australia (Collins Dictionary online 2018. s.v. Australian)

Oz

Agreed. Now that we have that settled, what are we to do with rest of this thread?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,003,166.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

1. adjective

2. countable noun

Oz

When you live in Australian you get to know these things.
OB:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

A Canadian would never be guilty of such a gross violation of the rules of grammar.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,003,166.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
A Canadian would never be guilty of such a gross violation of the rules of grammar.

Perhaps that's because Canadia don't have no rules of grammer ehh!
OB

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. adjective

2. countable noun

Oz

Everyone seems to be in agreement. Phewww!

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟132,843.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

OB,

Late last week I uploaded a lengthy article to my homepage, Truth Challenge, that I've titled: Language police take aim:[1] English grammar takes a nose dive in importance

It consists of grammatical errors I've discovered through my everyday reading of academics, newspapers (including online), dictionaries and Christian forms.

You'll gather I'm a language policeman. Or, should that be linguistic policeman? (yes, I'm a male, so 'man' is OK).

A Quora entry explained:

The word “language” itself can be placed before the subject noun as an “attributive noun,” a noun serving an adjectival function. For example, the phrase “language barrier” is very common.​

You might be interested in the reply I received from a person representing the Translation Committee for the NIV.

Do you follow prescriptive grammar or descriptive grammar?

Oz

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,003,166.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
OB,

Late last week I uploaded a lengthy article to my homepage, Truth Challenge, that I've titled: Language police take aim:[1] English grammar takes a nose dive in importance

It consists of grammatical errors I've discovered through my everyday reading of academics, newspapers (including online), dictionaries and Christian forms.

You'll gather I'm a language policeman. Or, should that be linguistic policeman? (yes, I'm a male, so 'man' is OK).

You might be interested in the reply I received from a person representing the Translation Committee for the NIV.

Do you follow prescriptive grammar or descriptive grammar?

Oz

You might be surprised to hear that linguistics was a (minor) part of my (very old) psych degree and that I have an ongoing interest in the evolution of English starting from it's deep origins in Proto Indo-European. As a result I tend to be aware of Englishes as they are spoke and writ. CF, for instance, is a goldmine of idiomatic Americanese - I have lists of examples.

I am more inclined to descriptive grammar, although there are times... The current Australian habit of confusing 'there's' for 'there are', which has even invaded the hallowed halls of the ABC, is a constant niggle.

Overall I ain't really pedantic as long as meaning is retained. Prescriptive grammar can often take itself a little too seriously.
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,018.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The other possibility might be that we need an adjectival or possessive form of "New Zealand." Given that we have American Politics, for example, it would be consistent to have Australian and New Zealandic (basing that form on the adjectival form of Zeeland, from which New Zealand gets its name). Or we could go for Australian and Kiwi?

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,003,166.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The other possibility might be that we need an adjectival or possessive form of "New Zealand." Given that we have American Politics, for example, it would be consistent to have Australian and New Zealandic (basing that form on the adjectival form of Zeeland, from which New Zealand gets its name). Or we could go for Australian and Kiwi?

To be absolutely correct about this, if we are to adopt the possessive form, we should refer to the Forum as:

Strine & InZiddish
to ensure that we pay homage to their native tongues.
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,197,223.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To be absolutely correct about this, if we are to adopt the possessive form, we should refer the Forum as:

Strine & InZiddish
to ensure that we pay homage to their native tongues.
OB
Good ol' Professor Lauder

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Agreed. Now that we have that settled, what are we to do with rest of this thread?

Let's address the problem with y'all! Every Southerner worth his salt knows it's spelled that way, but other folks keep on spelling it ya'll. It's a contraction of you and all. Y'all.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Ok, question for you since you're in Canada. Do y'all just call Canadian bacon bacon?

Question for the folks in NZ. Here we call the fruit kiwi, kiwi. Do y'all call it that too since you're also known as kiwis? Which I believe is on account of the bird, not the fruit?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok, question for you since you're in Canada. Do y'all just call Canadian bacon bacon?

What the unwashed masses call "Canadian bacon", we call "back bacon" or "peameal bacon". All that is because "Canadian bacon bacon" is just so awkward and rather redundant.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,003,166.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Let's address the problem with y'all! Every Southerner worth his salt knows it's spelled that way, but other folks keep on spelling it ya'll. It's a contraction of you and all. Y'all.
Y'all along with 'youse' and 'you'ns' all started life as unconscious attempts to correct a major deficiency in the English language - the absence of separate singular and plural forms of 'you'. 'You' can refer to one person or many - only the context can make it clear.

Although 'y'all' was probably originally reserved for the plural form it has over time become used for both the singular and plural forms. As a result 'y'all' is now no more linguistically useful than the 'you' it replaced.
OB

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What the unwashed masses call "Canadian bacon", we call "back bacon" or "peameal bacon". All that is because "Canadian bacon bacon" is just so awkward and rather redundant.

Never heard of peameal bacon before. Just looked it up. It's not what I'd think of as being bacon but it looks pretty darn good.
Roast-Peameal-Bacon-4.jpg

6-oz-cb.png

So you'd call this back bacon or peameal bacon? You spell center like how the Brits do, don't you? Centre, not center. I wonder why we call it Canadian bacon if that's not what y'all call it.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Never heard of peameal bacon before. Just looked it up. It's not what I'd think of as being bacon but it looks pretty darn good.
View attachment 246317

View attachment 246318
So you'd call this back bacon or peameal bacon? You spell center like how the Brits do, don't you? Centre, not center. I wonder why we call it Canadian bacon if that's not what y'all call it.

Seeing as it comes from Wisconsin, it is not Canadian bacon --- some sort of "mystery meat" maybe?

Upvote 0