Attempt at song writing

ontriedass

May 5, 2013
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What'd you reckon about this? Apologies for the rough recording.

soundcloud.com/enff/what-are-words

Trust in The Lord
He has delivered
Through these tough times
With grace he has strengthen us.

For it's by grace that I've been saved
Taking this leap of faith.
All my days
I'll walk in his presence
I give myself to him.

Come, praise The Lord
Sing of his goodness
Glory to God
Speak of his righteousness

What are words
To describe his love for me
What can I give in return
All of my days
I live to give him praise
I offer my life to him.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
B

BlueLioness

I also attempted songwriting before, but I would get writer's block when I was coming up with the lyrics.

I remember submitting my work to a group called Jump5 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump5 ), but they wrote me back and told me that they already had plently of songwriters.

I am grateful they told me because I was not aware of it.

We can always try to chuck our work at some other group, you know.

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

What'd you reckon about this? Apologies for the rough recording.

soundcloud.com/enff/what-are-words

Trust in The Lord
He has delivered
Through these tough times
With grace he has strengthen us.

For it's by grace that I've been saved
Taking this leap of faith.
All my days
I'll walk in his presence
I give myself to him.

Come, praise The Lord
Sing of his goodness
Glory to God
Speak of his righteousness

What are words
To describe his love for me
What can I give in return
All of my days
I live to give him praise
I offer my life to him.

I like what your lyrics say, the only difference between you and I is you don't rhyme like, every single sentence, and I'm really into rhyming. People were asking me why the lyrics all sounded like the same word, lol.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I enjoy writing songs as well. Its a way to express yourself. The best way i find to write is when you are going through something or you are inspired by something. The times when your up and the times when your down. These are the times when good lyrics come around. You are expressing your inner self and this cant be made up and it has substance. Normally when you have writers block you are trying to force something thats not there and even when you do its going to be something that doesn't really have any soul i believe.

Some of the best songs have come from times in a persons life that have had a big affect on them. Sometimes its good to put yourself in a situation of inspiration to evoke feelings so that you can find the words. I have found now that song writing and playing my guitar are a form of therapy for me. I can write a song when i am going through something and get it out of me. They say that when you are going through something to write it down on paper or talk to someone about it. This gets it out so that you can see it from a different point of view. It can take the sting out of difficult situations that are making you feel troubled. It can help you overcome the hard times and help you deal with your feelings.

I tend to do a lot of rhyming style writing but try not to have it to repetitive as in the rhyming words are one after the other. Sometimes the words dont have to quite rhyme as in they can sound similar and flow off each other. So like normally using say a word like day and rhyming with way, say or away you can use something like day and name or became as the (a) is emphasized and they flow off each other. I hear some songs that dont rhyme a lot yet still flow and im not yet good at this style. I think if the words are there and they are telling a story or evoking a feeling then you can get away with it. The important thing is that it comes from you and is a part of you and is believable. Then it will have substance and soul and won't seem plastic.

The music will also give it the feeling and soul. Normally a particular style and rhythm will invoke a feeling of what sort of song suits it. Am chords will normally have a sadder or introspective feeling about it. G,D and A chords can be happy or uplifting chords. I like using G,D and C chord songs and you can vary them with timing and rhythm style to create different tunes. Sometimes i will know the chords that will suit the feeling i am having about a song i am writing. Sometimes it will be playing certain chords because of the way i am feeling or because i maybe going through sometime and this will bring up some words as well to start with. Then the words can be refined and adjusted as the song develops.

I find that when i am jamming with others is a good way to create songs and music. You can roll off each other or someone will start a tune or chord progression and then it brings out something in you that can start a song or be part of a song. Sometimes just playing free style is a good way of creating music as you can forget about all the pressures of trying to come up with something and you are just allowing your the feeling at the time to dictate what you play. Sometimes the words can just flow out and this can produce some of the best music and songs as its straight from the heart.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think when your writing a song you need to get that rhythm going in the words. It could be rocky or jazzy or even rap where your practically sing talking. Then you can rhyme the words to that rhythm and flow of with the tune. I dont know if I'm explaining it properly. But i think its harder to put music to a poem as you have to find a rhythm and flow to suit how the poem reads. Sometimes there might be to many words or not enough. So you have to improvise a bit. I think its easiest to hum a tune and then verbalize some words. It doesn't really matter even if you hum So that you get use to doing the tune with your voice. Then you can fill the words in as you go. A lot of the time i may get a tune in my head and there will be some words to start. But normally i will forget them so i have to record the tune at least and any words or hum it so that i can develop the tune. I find the best way i think about words is how your feeling or how it relates to you.

This is one i wrote which may show you what I mean.

verse
I remember when when i was younger, yeah young and wild and free.
We would play all day in the sunshine, had no fear and nothing bother me.
The when i got a little older and i though that the world wine mine
I became a little bolder, I hit the wall and had to do my time.

The Chorus is
Life is what you make it sometimes you've gotta tow that line
Be careful that you dont break it
Just let go and you will see that everything's alright.

I normally have two verses then the chorus then one more verse then chorus again. I will put an instrumental in and then sing the chorus again then one more verse and chorus. I know it sounds a little simple but i like doing it this way. I use to put more verses but that can make the song around 5 minutes which is OK if its more of a ballad or a song that may have something more to say. I tend to do the same word rhythm a lot but i try to find words that are a similar sound but not necessarily the same rhythm like way and day. I think keeping it simple is the best as you can add more with your voice and instrument. Even stops and emphasis on certain points. with the voice and your instrument

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SOMM

Jul 20, 2015
Perth, Australia
Visit site
✟366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its a good song! It has a lot of potential and I think you've done a great job with it.

Something which may be helpful in your songwriting is to create a chorus which has a similar feel to the rest of the song, but different. Often the chorus is where you have your "hook" - the part of the song which people walk away singing, or humming, or want to listen to the song again because they like "that one part".

I think finding a way to add variation to the song will give it a more "professional" feel to it. Try a chorus, or a bridge, in your song and see how it changes the feel and makes the song feel like it has a bit more variety.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its a good song! It has a lot of potential and I think you've done a great job with it.

Something which may be helpful in your songwriting is to create a chorus which has a similar feel to the rest of the song, but different. Often the chorus is where you have your "hook" - the part of the song which people walk away singing, or humming, or want to listen to the song again because they like "that one part".

I think finding a way to add variation to the song will give it a more "professional" feel to it. Try a chorus, or a bridge, in your song and see how it changes the feel and makes the song feel like it has a bit more variety.
Ive always wondered what a bridge is in a song. Is that like a part that joins the verse and Chorus. Maybe like an extension to the verse or Chorus. Where would it go in the song and would you have more than one bridge such as one for each time you play the chorus or one after each verse. I think I remember the Beatles song Ob-la-di ob-la-da had a bridge after the 2nd time the chorus was played and then one more time after the 3rd time the chorus was played.

Upvote 0

SOMM

Jul 20, 2015
Perth, Australia
Visit site
✟366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ive always wondered what a bridge is in a song.

Hey Stevevw, a bridge is the part of the song which usually connects the whole song together... not necessarily musically, but lyrically. There are no real rules in songwriting, it can be whatever you want... so, you could start with the bridge, or write multiple bridges, but most pop songs go something like verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, chorus. The bridge and chorus will be noticable within a song... you will probably be able to listen to a song without knowing anything about it and be able to pick out which is the chorus and which is the bridge. Often there will be an unused chord which is held back in the song and used (only) in the bridge.

Some songs don't have bridges, some songs don't have chorus', some songs technically don't have verses (ABAB style songs). The best rule to go by is "does it sound/feel good?"

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey Stevevw, a bridge is the part of the song which usually connects the whole song together... not necessarily musically, but lyrically. There are no real rules in songwriting, it can be whatever you want... so, you could start with the bridge, or write multiple bridges, but most pop songs go something like verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, chorus. The bridge and chorus will be noticable within a song... you will probably be able to listen to a song without knowing anything about it and be able to pick out which is the chorus and which is the bridge. Often there will be an unused chord which is held back in the song and used (only) in the bridge.

Some songs don't have bridges, some songs don't have chorus', some songs technically don't have verses (ABAB style songs). The best rule to go by is "does it sound/feel good?"

I hope that helps.
Thanks for that SOMM. I do write songs and your right that its all about it feeling and sounding good and that there are no rules. Its a universal language that can communicate at different levels at the same time. I just wasn't sure about a bridge. I do use them sometimes but I think it is something that will flow as part of the song. I just wasn't sure whether it was a separate part of the song or like an extension to the chorus or verse. But your advice about it linking a song lyrically is very helpful as I didn't know this. I personally find that you cant force a song to much to have particular parts. It has to flow and come naturally. You can change things a little but it is best kept simple and inspired.

I work in the community service sector and I am involved in community development. We are starting up a music group for the community and I have been asked to contribute some ideas. Music can also be a therapy where it can help people express themselves when they find it hard to do this in the conventional ways. I spend lots of time writing and recording songs and this is a good way for me to relax and express myself. I see it as a way to communicate about life and Gods love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Stevevw, a bridge is the part of the song which usually connects the whole song together... not necessarily musically, but lyrically.
Maybe in common usage that is true; but it is not true in music theory.

A bridge connects 2 parts of a song where you do not go back. A good example would be the chord structure or cadence you use to go smoothly thru a key change; or if you are changing the tempo or time signature (and not going back and forth with either). Those would be bridges.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟258,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe in common usage that is true; but it is not true in music theory.

A bridge connects 2 parts of a song where you do not go back. A good example would be the chord structure or cadence you use to go smoothly thru a key change; or if you are changing the tempo or time signature (and not going back and forth with either). Those would be bridges.
OK as I said the song "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"by the Beatles seems to have a bridge or at least thats what the lead singer from (Mercy me) Bart Millard says when they come to that part of the song in this clip. He says bridge before they sing it at 1.23 and 2.12 in the song here.

It seems that there is a verse and a chorus with the similar tune (note structure) that make up the song. Then the bridge has a different tune that is inserted in maybe once or twice or even more that can go in between the main tune of the song linking them back together. So "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" it has verse 1 then chorus, verse 2 then chorus in key of A. Then the bridge has a key change as SOMM said and the it goes back to verse 3 and chorus ect and then you can repeat another bridge and back to a verse again and chorus.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/ob-la-di_ob-la-da_crd_1087940id_29082011date.htm

Upvote 0